Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chain lube
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I know this probably has been covered. But in a dry environment, if I don't want to use wax, what does the research say will be the best lubrication for my chain (save me most watts)
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Rock'n'Roll Extreme was the best non-wax lube in recent tests.

fxjeffrey wrote:
Sorry, I know this probably has been covered. But in a dry environment, if I don't want to use wax, what does the research say will be the best lubrication for my chain (save me most watts)
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have a new one, it's not dry and it's called Holy Cow ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are wax-based lubes such as Squirt that test super fast and are very easy to apply. Just drip on and don't even have to wipe.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:

x2 on Rock n' Roll extreme. It still has wax, but it isn't as heavy wax-based like Squirt is. Squirt is still faster though according to the data.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
If you assumed this has been covered, why did you not search for the answer?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no love for wax? The Squirt Lube goes on like any other drip lube. It is one of the fastest lubes you can buy and you don't end up with a gooey gritty mess. It has all the benefits of the Rock and Roll Gold and none of the downsides.

What I do is start with an A-race chain that I clean and wax using the Molten Speed wax. Then once I race about 200 miles on that chain I switch over to the squirt lube. I put a little WD 40 on a rag and wipe the chain down every now and then before applying the Squirt Lube. I have a pristine, low-friction drivetrain between A-races and cleaning the drivetrain (cassette and rings, jockey wheels) is much easier.

I clean and Molten Speed wax multiple chains at one time so the extra work pretty minimal over the season. I used petroleum-based lubes for 20 years and would never consider going back. That crap is a joke!

P.S. Wax-based lubes will also lead to an improved marital situation because you won't get any of those road grease stains on the carpet at home.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good question. the answer is: because I didn't feel like it and I thought maybe there might be some new data available
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
There are wax-based lubes such as Squirt that test super fast and are very easy to apply. Just drip on and don't even have to wipe.

x3 on the squirt. Best lube i've ever used. Fast and clean- don't ever need to use degreaser
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you degrease a new chain first before initial application?

Can anyone point me to the data on squirt? The velo news piece referenced above didn't teat it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squirt's directions say to completely degrease a new chain before applying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is ideal- but i had already used the chain with other lubes. I did a basic clean/degrease and have just used squirt since- works fine
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried Wend Wax yet?

I just started using it and it seems good. I'm not too sure about long term use but I'll be finding out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:

Best chain lube ever:

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B00KMMFE8Y

lasts way longer than any "bicycle lube", it is way cleaner than any bicycle lube, it is waterproof, just perfect, and way cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B00KMMFE8Y

Lets face it, most "bicycle" lubes have crazy markups due to total crowd ignorance and stupidity.

Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Dupont CS for years, and love it. Its only disadvantage is the need to lube more often. But gosh, the chain and cassette stay reasonably clean and, it's very easy to apply.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I've been using Dupont CS for years, and love it. Its only disadvantage is the need to lube more often. But gosh, the chain and cassette stay reasonably clean and, it's very easy to apply.

Do you use the drip or the aerosol? I would worry a little bit about the aerosol getting on rotors, rims, etc. How often do you have to apply?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use both, but mostly aerosol. I hold a blue shop towel (paper) under the chain and spray quickly. Done. About every 100 miles, but it doesn't need it that often. I just combine this with wiping the bike down which I do about every hundred miles. I have 65k miles on my bike and it looks virtually new (except for the usual scars and chips).
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This wax stuff is new to me - how do you apply it? Sounds labor-intensive!
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Melt wax, submerge chain, hang chain to cool. Get yourself a Wipperman Connex link too.

You have to start with a completely clean degreased chain but that's the hardest part. I bought a cheap $15 hot plate and $5 stainless steel dog bowl from Amazon along with a 5lb bag of wax to will be enough to do at least 20 treatments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycle Star is a game changer https://cycle-star-nanotech.myshopify.com/...tech-chain-lubricant

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Can anyone point me to the data on squirt? The velo news piece referenced above didn't teat it.

It's in the Friction Facts report that you can purchase for download. The reports there have a few more lubes tested than the Velo News piece, including Squirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know why everytime I apply squirt dry lube to my chain my chain still has the dark muddy debris whenever I touch it? Even though I haven't rode outside with it and it's just been on the trainer. Is that normal? The directions on the squirt bottle says don't need to wipe off after application so I don't. But even in the past when I did wipe off it still had the dark stuff on the chains. Also, it still does stain carpet or other things that it comes in contact with because of it's muddiness.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you completely clean and degree the chain and entire drive train - cassette, chainrings, derailleurs? That was the biggest time investment for me in switching to a waxed cgain. If you don't start with everything absolutely pristine the residual grease and gunk will come back to haunt you. I put my chain through 4 cycles of mineral spirits and 2 cycles of denatured alcohol. I also removed the cassette and thoroughly cleaned each individual cog, as well as pulled my cranks to get the chainrings degraded and spotless. Don't forget about your FD guide and RD pulleys.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain lube [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you prefer the spray or the drip applicator? Seems as if Amazon offers both...
Quote Reply

Prev Next