Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly not something a victim would say about something so trivial in the grand scheme of things.
So my first race of the season was first after a forced 1.5 years off to have twins and it wasn't pretty. A week later I cut 20 minutes and have been slicing away at it ever since. So sure you can have a drastic drop in your time.
I've had to pull out of a race after an asthma attack and been driven to the finish only to be forced back onto the race through the finish. When they announced me as my age group winner and sent a friend to immediately tell them what had happened. Crap happens and you can't finish - I would even be okay with her taking the medal that she didn't earn but paid for but celebrating a win you didn't earn for me is like taking the back door to Boston. How do you enjoy a victory you didn't achieve.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [joanaberling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 How do you enjoy a victory you didn't achieve.//

Because they dont think like you and i. There are lots of people that take credit for things they did not do in life, so trying to overlay your morals on them and then trying to figure out how they can do something, well its a fools errand at best. Just know they do enjoy taking credit where it is not due, and then you can begin to understand their mentality and choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
Another one who's claiming an unbelievable time which they are incapable of doing legitimately: why don't they just put their hands up, confirm somewhere along the line a mistake has been made, DQ themselves and move on in life.
Claiming the impossible just makes everything a million times worse and changes lives.

Facts are meaningless to a lot of people these days. That want to believe things a certain way that don't have any basis in reality. It's ridiculous but some think it's socially acceptable.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt we'll ever know the truth about what happened in this incident or the previous incident with the swimmer but I can add something from my own experience. I raced IMFL (2 loops) in 2011 and 2013. In 2013 the timing mat on the beach missed my chip twice, after the first loop and again going into T1. Then the timing mat out of T1 missed my chip. Then I rode a 5 hour bike segment with no way to prove it. That's good for an old man - 50+. How is it possible to miss the first 3 mat times? Stuff happens I guess. In my case there were pictures and I didn't place.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [treadster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treadster wrote:
I doubt we'll ever know the truth about what happened in this incident or the previous incident with the swimmer but I can add something from my own experience. I raced IMFL (2 loops) in 2011 and 2013. In 2013 the timing mat on the beach missed my chip twice, after the first loop and again going into T1. Then the timing mat out of T1 missed my chip. Then I rode a 5 hour bike segment with no way to prove it. That's good for an old man - 50+. How is it possible to miss the first 3 mat times? Stuff happens I guess. In my case there were pictures and I didn't place.

thats why you should wear a watch as back up to prove you did it. also there are some good timing companies out there like gemini.... my chip failed once so i didnt see my result, thankfully they had me on their back up video system to catch me running in.... i also needed to show my watch so they can get the exact segment of the film.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't wear (or use) it that day. I never wear the HRM when I race anyway. I'm becoming a little suspicious of myself. I ran a tiny little 5K in New Jersey on the boardwalk a few years ago and the dude who was behind me turned around 5' before the cone at the turn-around and was then he was instantly 5' in front of me. There's bottleneck at the turn, so what. I suppose that's no different from someone skirting around a buoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [joanaberling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joanaberling wrote:
How do you enjoy a victory you didn't achieve.

Put your head down and try not to look too thrilled

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
for the record, i don't think that time is legit, whether through timing glitch, honest mistake, or downright cheating.

but i'm also starting to get weary of all the twitch-hunts. are people cheating more? or are we just hearing about it more? does it matter? ultimately, it looks like a 50+-year-old woman cheated during a fun run. on the big scale of things worth being upset about in this world the story ranks low for me.

i think we should at least walk away from rape case; there's nothing to be gained there. if the doubters are right, she's a profoundly unwell woman who needs help that she won't get on a triathlon chatroom, and the law needs to set right her accusations. if the doubters are wrong, then she's lived through one of the most traumatic events any human can experience. but in either case there's nothing much to be gained from litigating it here.

I'm certainly steering clear of the rape case myself.

But I wouldn't call this a twitch-hunt per se since the race director investigated, DQ'd her, and banned her for a year. So punishment has already been meted it out. I think it's more a fascination of why someone like this would cheat. It's very bizarre.

Not only that, but once she was DQ'd by the race director, she and/or her friends started a petition drive asking the RD to "Take Back..." her punishment, because her story shows there's no way she would cheat.

Of course, she's actually a serial cheater.
Quote Reply

Prev Next