Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Washington Post outs another cheater
Quote | Reply
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Short version:
52 year old woman finishes half marathon in third place.
Ran 1:33:xx
Timing mat at mile 3 has her at 10 min./mile pace
Missed all timing mats between mile 3 and 12
No photos in middle 7 miles of race
Ran 2:06:41 a year earlier in same race
Ran 2:09:16 in another half marathon two weeks before race in question
Does not have the physique to be a 1:33 half marathoner
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't read the article but I'm glad that she was caught and that the Wash Post reported it.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3miles at 10min pace, that would require her to run about 6:24 miles for the last 10.

a garmin file would be nice.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And thatā€™s why it was so devastating that when she ran the fastest race of her life, a man on the other end of the telephone said he didnā€™t believe sheā€™d done it fairly.
ā€œThis might be hard to understand, but it was like being raped all over again,ā€ Huffman said

I cannot imagine a victim of rape saying something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another one who's claiming an unbelievable time which they are incapable of doing legitimately: why don't they just put their hands up, confirm somewhere along the line a mistake has been made, DQ themselves and move on in life.
Claiming the impossible just makes everything a million times worse and changes lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's unfortunate that RD's need to start thinking about course design to prevent cheaters. Marine Corps marathon has a history of course cutters.

WTF, coughing up blood?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so there are timing mats that haven't registered and there are course photographers that haven't got her picture, but how is this substantially different to the Stretton case?

There is no clear proof of her cheating, just an amazing finish time with no previous proven ability to do similar.

Yet the RD felt able to DQ and did so despite her admirable record of charity fundraising. Nothing to suggest that she has contemplated legal proceedings for defamation of character.

Maybe ITU and Redman Tri should take heed of Marine Corps proactive stance here and do similar?
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [AGolden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AGolden wrote:
Ok so there are timing mats that haven't registered and there are course photographers that haven't got her picture, but how is this substantially different to the Stretton case?

There is no clear proof of her cheating, just an amazing finish time with no previous proven ability to do similar.

Yet the RD felt able to DQ and did so despite her admirable record of charity fundraising. Nothing to suggest that she has contemplated legal proceedings for defamation of character.

Maybe ITU and Redman Tri should take heed of Marine Corps proactive stance here and do similar?

Ummm... no clear proof of cheating does not prove innocence. Assuming stats above are correct where person has run 2+ hours for a half marathon in the past to suddenly run 1.3xx in their 50s is cause for suspicion.

And how does fundraising prove innocence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
3miles at 10min pace, that would require her to run about 6:24 miles for the last 10.

given that her PR was 1:40 5 years ago and more recently had run a half in just over 2 hours that 6:24 is just not happening. and her "miraculous" PR of 1:33 just happened to coincide with a timing chip failure and lack of photos on the middle part of the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a bizarre article. What prompted the paper to publish it? It's not "news": the race and DQ happened in 2015.

Why publish it now? To "clear" her name by going on and on about her fundraising and PTSD? As if that somehow justifies cheating?

And why are these course cutters always coaches for children?

It's a strange world we live in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
AGolden wrote:

Ummm... no clear proof of cheating does not prove innocence. Assuming stats above are correct where person has run 2+ hours for a half marathon in the past to suddenly run 1.3xx in their 50s is cause for suspicion.

And how does fundraising prove innocence?

Exactly. As if just because someone raised money they are automatically granted some sort of imaginary moral high ground. No.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
bmeer wrote:

given that her PR was 1:40 5 years ago and more recently had run a half in just over 2 hours that 6:24 is just not happening. and her "miraculous" PR of 1:33 just happened to coincide with a timing chip failure and lack of photos on the middle part of the run.

No chance of her cutting the course where she set her PR: http://www.gardenspotvillagemarathon.org/...fficialCourseMap.pdf

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
bmeer wrote:

No chance of her cutting the course where she set her PR: http://www.gardenspotvillagemarathon.org/...fficialCourseMap.pdf

great find. that's hilarious.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
It's unfortunate that RD's need to start thinking about course design to prevent cheaters. Marine Corps marathon has a history of course cutters.

WTF, coughing up blood?

Seriously. That was treated as being as mundane as her fall. I have seen people fall during races. I have seen people pass out during races. I have never seen anyone cough up blood.

And yeah, there is no way that someone that age is knocking half an hour off their typical HM time unless she lost 50 lbs in the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
bmeer wrote:

Sure she could. Mile 4 drop off the course. Then drop back in later. No clue on her cheating from that race since they would need to check timing mats and photos if there were questions. There is a big difference between 1:40 and 1:33 when 1:40 is your previous PR and you don't happen to have any history of running at those paces.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
klehner wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
bmeer wrote:

Sure she could. Mile 4 drop off the course. Then drop back in later. No clue on her cheating from that race since they would need to check timing mats and photos if there were questions. There is a big difference between 1:40 and 1:33 when 1:40 is your previous PR and you don't happen to have any history of running at those paces.

I don't use pink font.

One of the commenters in the WaPo article pointed out that this race is noted for its difficulty, and that second place in her age group was 1:53 or so.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
klehner wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
bmeer wrote:

I don't use pink font.

One of the commenters in the WaPo article pointed out that this race is noted for its difficulty, and that second place in her age group was 1:53 or so.

oh. I see. They link to this http://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...le-results-here.html
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
schroeder wrote:

WTF, coughing up blood?

Seriously. That was treated as being as mundane as her fall. I have seen people fall during races. I have seen people pass out during races. I have never seen anyone cough up blood.

And yeah, there is no way that someone that age is knocking half an hour off their typical HM time unless she lost 50 lbs in the process.

From the photo, it looks like she busted her lip in the same fall that skinned her knee. But it's more dramatic to say you were coughing up blood rather than spitting some out from a busted lip. On the same vein, WAPO failed to confirm whether she had ever reported the rape she talks about. A "brutal rape" is not something generally not reported to the police. If it wasn't reported I would tend to think it was entirely made up, and fits with the pattern of an attention-seeking cheater.

Apart from that, it is more than obvious that she is not a person who "runs and runs and runs". Let her put up a 5K time at 1:33 HM pace ... under observation ... to see if she even has that kind of speed. Not a chance she would do it. The comments at the bottom of the article are definitely not in her favor.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
A "brutal rape" is not something generally not reported to the police. If it wasn't reported I would tend to think it was entirely made up, and fits with the pattern of an attention-seeking cheater.

It's unfortunate that rape has become part of this cheater's story, but under normal circumstances I can imagine many reasons why a rape victim might not report the crime to the police.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
A "brutal rape" is not something generally not reported to the police. If it wasn't reported I would tend to think it was entirely made up, and fits with the pattern of an attention-seeking cheater.

It's unfortunate that rape has become part of this cheater's story, but under normal circumstances I can imagine many reasons why a rape victim might not report the crime to the police.

From what I've seen it's something under 50% get reported. Most conservative estimates are closer to 50% some are remarkably low, like 20%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just think about how much cheating goes on during the swim, cutting buoy's. Yes there are safety people out there but seldom do they report cheaters.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [freestyle7819] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
freestyle7819 wrote:
Just think about how much cheating goes on during the swim, cutting buoy's. Yes there are safety people out there but seldom do they report cheaters.

Careful, you're going to cause heads to explode here.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post outs another cheater [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

From what I've seen it's something under 50% get reported. Most conservative estimates are closer to 50% some are remarkably low, like 20%.

Concur, but not when it comes to 'brutal, stranger' rape. She wasn't alleging a date rape or similar. To me, brutal infers medical treatment and thus automatic reporting. WAPO should at least have asked the question about whether it was reported or not; and followed up if she claimed it was reported to simply see if she was telling the truth. She brought it up...it's relevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:

i'll even go farther to say that she coaches kids in running, would you allow her to coach your kid if her own track record is suspect? frankly, i'm a BOP'er, my best 13.1 time is 2:15. i'd be a lot more proud of myself if i trained strong and worked it down to 2:00 than i would be if i broke a rule to get to 1:45. people have to get over themselves.
Quote Reply

Prev Next