Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agreed. In my limited experience, the fluid trainer quality of ride is far superior; I quickly "downgraded" away from a smart trainer after "upgrading" to one.

Very interesting. I have an old 1UP USA trainer and thinking about upgrading; my main problem with my current trainer is that it's a PITA attaching the bike to the trainer - something I must do every time I ride it. I have a power meter, so I really don't "need" a smart trainer. I can buy a LeMond trainer for $300 - a deal, or I find a good new or used fluid trainer. Suggestions?

Michael

I have no experience with the LeMond trainer. I have a Cycleops Fluid 2 and it's built solid (as in metal parts and heavy) and it's easy to get bike attached and tightening the wheel to the resistance unit is easy and straightforward. I did have a fluid leak from the resistance unit after 2.5 years but they replaced the resistance unit, no questions asked. Never asked for a receipt or date of purchase. A lot of people seem to like the Kinetic Road machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No experience with Lemond. But I really like Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro; better than Fluid 2 in my opinion because resistance doesn't change after 10-15 minute warm up like it does with Fluid 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agreed. In my limited experience, the fluid trainer quality of ride is far superior; I quickly "downgraded" away from a smart trainer after "upgrading" to one.

Very interesting. I have an old 1UP USA trainer and thinking about upgrading; my main problem with my current trainer is that it's a PITA attaching the bike to the trainer - something I must do every time I ride it. I have a power meter, so I really don't "need" a smart trainer. I can buy a LeMond trainer for $300 - a deal, or I find a good new or used fluid trainer. Suggestions?

Michael

I haven't used a LeMond but I seem to recall people saying it's very noisy. That would put me off.

Also, if attaching the bike is a concern, a direct drive trainer might be an issue.
I suppose it depends what you currently find annoying about attaching the bike. With most non-direct drive trainers, like my KK Road Machine, it's just a case of clamping the rear axle in the trainer via the QR Skewer caps, and engaging the resistance unit. Probably takes me 20 seconds without hurrying. I haven't used a direct drive trainer but I'm going it's a little more involved since you have to take of the back wheel and put the chain onto the trainer cassette and clamp the bike in place.
If you use a dedicated trainer wheel and have to switch over from your road wheel each time then a direct drive trainer might be as easy or easier.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 30, 16 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
wacomme wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Michael

I haven't used a LeMond but I seem to recall people saying it's very noisy. That would put me off.

Also, if attaching the bike is a concern, a direct drive trainer might be an issue.
I suppose it depends what you currently find annoying about attaching the bike. With most non-direct drive trainers, like my KK Road Machine, it's just a case of clamping the rear axle in the trainer via the QR Skewer caps, and engaging the resistance unit. Probably takes me 20 seconds without hurrying. I haven't used a direct drive trainer but I'm going it's a little more involved since you have to take of the back wheel and put the chain onto the trainer cassette and clamp the bike in place.
If you use a dedicated trainer wheel and have to switch over from your road wheel each time then a direct drive trainer might be as easy or easier.

I do tend to use a dedicated trainer wheel, but not always. But the problem I have with my 1Up is the tension adjustment. I can't get it tight enough without slipping. Therefore, I install the bike on the trainer with the back tire deflated (tension adjuster preset) and inflate the tire. It works, but I have to inflate the tire every time I install it on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Michael

Get a Fluid trainer. The Lemond trainer is incredibly noisy. I'm very happy with my Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer. I would shop around and buy a new Fluid trainer rather than buying something that may be on it's last legs. That said my Fluid 2 is going just like new after 4 years of constant use.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
wacomme wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Michael

Get a Fluid trainer. The Lemond trainer is incredibly noisy. I'm very happy with my Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer. I would shop around and buy a new Fluid trainer rather than buying something that may be on it's last legs. That said my Fluid 2 is going just like new after 4 years of constant use.

The Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer can be had for like $275 brand new right now. From my experience with Saris customer support and what I've read from others, I would feel fairly comfortable buying a used Cycleops trainer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next