Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question
Quote | Reply
I've been using a turbo mag trainer for the last 14 years and I want to upgrade without breaking the bank (under $500). I live in a region that makes cycling outside almost impossible at least 4-5 months a year. I don't have a power meter either. My questions are:

1. Low end Smart Trainers (Tacx Satori, Tacx Vortex or Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+) or Regular Mag Trainer with Zwift or Trainer Road?
2. Big differences between Zwift and Trainer Road?
3. The Minoura FG540 hybrid trainer, can it adequate resistance on rollers?

Thanks much,
Last edited by: terrtri: Oct 24, 16 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a Vortex for use on Zwift.

I had been riding with a mag trainer and rollers prior. The smart trainer makes the experience far more enjoyable. The accuracy left a lot to be desired, but I use my power meter as the power source, and the trainer just varies the resistance relative to the terrain on screen.

I will be using zwift for the winter, but when the summer comes along and I want to perform more workouts in erg mode I will be using trainer road for the "Power match" feature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't cheap out. Buy a Kicker or other higher-end smart trainer. If you have to ride indoors as much as you do, it's worth the extra cost. Especially if you don't already own a powermeter as you want a trainer that is at least relatively consistent with power numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get the Tacx Vortex for less than $500, actually $471 from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/...893ac34483dfb368c381

It's a solid trainer for the money. However, if you can afford spending another $100, then I highly recommend the Wahoo KICKR Snap just for it's accuracy and better fly wheel. Plus more app support than any other trainer on the market. Wahoo just dropped another $100 off the price to compete with the Cycleops magnus that is coming out later Fall
http://www.wahoofitness.com?acc=eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Don't cheap out. Buy a Kicker or other higher-end smart trainer. If you have to ride indoors as much as you do, it's worth the extra cost. Especially if you don't already own a powermeter as you want a trainer that is at least relatively consistent with power numbers.

It's not about cheaping out, it's about having only X amount to spend.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:

It's a solid trainer for the money. However, if you can afford spending another $100, then I highly recommend the Wahoo KICKR Snap just for it's accuracy and better fly wheel. Plus more app support than any other trainer on the market. Wahoo just dropped another $100 off the price to compete with the Cycleops magnus that is coming out later Fallhttp://www.wahoofitness.com?acc=eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3[/quote[/url]]

I've seen the Tacx Vortex even cheaper than that. The Kicker Snap would be great if I can get it under $500.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:

It's a solid trainer for the money. However, if you can afford spending another $100, then I highly recommend the Wahoo KICKR Snap just for it's accuracy and better fly wheel. Plus more app support than any other trainer on the market. Wahoo just dropped another $100 off the price to compete with the Cycleops magnus that is coming out later Fall

I would steer well clear of a Kickr Snap. The power accuracy is a joke. I had one, exchanged it. The replacement was no better so ended up getting a refund. I suggest heading over to DCRAINMAKER.COM and read his extensive reviews on trainers. I'm back on my Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer in conjuction with a power Mteer and couldn't be happier. Most of my rides are on the trainer using Trainerroad.
Last edited by: 3DKiwi: Oct 24, 16 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Vortex. I works well. I had to use a power meter to calibrate the roller tension to make it 'accurate'. If you can't calibrate, your power numbers will likely be offset (+/-), but at least you'll have a starting point in your training to set baselines and targets. It works really well with Zwift and Trainerroad too.

Don't get the Satori Smart. I had it briefly. The resistance profile is MASSIVELY different (i.e. Harder) from older Satori generations. The power readout (for me) was WAY OFF (low) what my PM was saying. I sent it back to Tacx for warranty assessment, and they sent it back to me and said nothing was wrong with it :(. I unloaded it quickly and haven't looked back.

The lack of integrated ANT+ control of the Satori smart is also a drawback.

Zwift and Trainer Road are different approaches to the same thing (training). They both have trial periods to see which is best for you. I like TR because I like the set workouts. I like Zwift because the group rides better simulate the intensity changes of real world cycling. I don't like Zwift because seem to have a hard time making it to the start line of a group ride:(.

The Minoura is a neat concept, but man, does it ever sound loud on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGrnSLoD5N4
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
Tri Nut wrote:

I would steer well clear of a Kickr Snap. The power accuracy is a joke. I had one, exchanged it. The replacement was no better so ended up getting a refund. I suggest heading over to DCRAINMAKER.COM and read his extensive reviews on trainers. I'm back on my Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer in conjuction with a power Mteer and couldn't be happier. Most of my rides are on the trainer using Trainerroad.

True, but for a wheel-on trainer, it's not bad and you will have the -+5% in numbers with all of them. Nothing beat your own power meter. Direct drive trainers are getting very good with accuracy but they are double the price for what the OP is looking for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know anything about the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ trainer? It's very affordable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at all the smart trainers I could before buying.

Best deal I found was Tacx Vortex.

I settled on the Bkool Smart Pro and like it a lot. However the lowest I've seen it is around $550.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
Anyone know anything about the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ trainer? It's very affordable.

It's a decent trainer if you can get it for around or less than $300. It does work with Zwift and TrainerRoad and broadcast ANT+ FE-C and Smart bluetooth so it can be controlled by all these apps. However, tt doesn't broadcast via standard ANT+ so if your garmin only works with ANT+, then you will not see any metrics. But it will over Bluetooth.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I upgraded to the Tacx Vortex Smart.
have to agree on the calibration side of things. I get different readings when I calibrate using the phone app, to when I calibrate using the TTS desktop software. FWIW , i just stick to the phone app for calibration, and take it from there.

I use it with TrainerRoad, and seems to work fine. I've no major issues with it (the trainer), but wish I could upgrade to one that dosnt need a training wheel.

If you can afford one, get something like the Wahoo kickr (as it dosnt need a training wheel). Other than that, the Vortex Smart is a decent piece of kit and worth the money, but just remember to calibrate often.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Get the Vortex. I works well. I had to use a power meter to calibrate the roller tension to make it 'accurate'. If you can't calibrate, your power numbers will likely be offset (+/-), but at least you'll have a starting point in your training to set baselines and targets. It works really well with Zwift and Trainerroad too.

Don't get the Satori Smart. I had it briefly. The resistance profile is MASSIVELY different (i.e. Harder) from older Satori generations. The power readout (for me) was WAY OFF (low) what my PM was saying. I sent it back to Tacx for warranty assessment, and they sent it back to me and said nothing was wrong with it :(. I unloaded it quickly and haven't looked back.

The lack of integrated ANT+ control of the Satori smart is also a drawback.

Zwift and Trainer Road are different approaches to the same thing (training). They both have trial periods to see which is best for you. I like TR because I like the set workouts. I like Zwift because the group rides better simulate the intensity changes of real world cycling. I don't like Zwift because seem to have a hard time making it to the start line of a group ride:(.

The Minoura is a neat concept, but man, does it ever sound loud on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGrnSLoD5N4

@Beston do you have the TTS software, and the phone app also?
The reason I ask, do you see a difference in the calibration when you calibrate using the TTS software as apposed to the phone app? They always give me different reading (loosen/tighten) on both platforms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:

You can save another $100 and buy it from germany. (You'd wait another few days and need to buy a cord for $5.)

I've got one and now another 3 people in my club have them too.

I definitely need to spindown after 10 minutes. Usually, during warmup, it swings around a bit (relative to P1s), but once it settles into a constant offset...usually about 15-20 W, I spindown. Then, it is within 5W, good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, I don't use the TTS software and am not familiar with that calibration process.

When I was using the calibration app, I would find that I was always moving the roller tension towards "too loose" to get it to match with my power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
Tri Nut wrote:

Do you miss your Kickr Snap specifically ERG mode? I purchased the Tacx Vortex because of the price and I wanted ERG mode for use with Trainerroad. I guess I don't find it that mind blowing compared to using my Cycleops Fluid 2 with my power meter. The Vortex is much louder than the Cycleops when I use it in non-ERG mode. I thinking about going back to cycleops fluid 2 with power meter and trainerroad.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
3DKiwi wrote:

Do you miss your Kickr Snap specifically ERG mode? I purchased the Tacx Vortex because of the price and I wanted ERG mode for use with Trainerroad. I guess I don't find it that mind blowing compared to using my Cycleops Fluid 2 with my power meter. The Vortex is much louder than the Cycleops when I use it in non-ERG mode. I thinking about going back to cycleops fluid 2 with power meter and trainerroad.

Miss ERG mode. Not really. On an easy workout where there are no sudden power changes ERG mode works really well and you don't have to monitor your power. However any interval workout where the power suddenly changes the Snap couldn't settle down fast enough to the correct power, even using Trainerroad's power match. Then if you're like me and like to push it near the end of an interval and exceed the power target, you can. You can can't easily do that in ERG mode. You can only bump up the intensity. I also found with the Snap it preferred a cadence around 90. Doing a low cadence workout at say 80 would make the power too hard and more than the target power required . Then spinning 100+ would be too easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same with me, and the ride quality, in my opinion was noticeably worse than my Fluid trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
3DKiwi wrote:

Miss ERG mode. Not really. On an easy workout where there are no sudden power changes ERG mode works really well and you don't have to monitor your power. However any interval workout where the power suddenly changes the Snap couldn't settle down fast enough to the correct power, even using Trainerroad's power match. Then if you're like me and like to push it near the end of an interval and exceed the power target, you can. You can can't easily do that in ERG mode. You can only bump up the intensity. I also found with the Snap it preferred a cadence around 90. Doing a low cadence workout at say 80 would make the power too hard and more than the target power required . Then spinning 100+ would be too easy.

Hmmm....definitely thinking about going back to the Cycleops Fluid 2 with my power meter. I think maybe if I used Zwift then using a smart trainer might be more important to me. Using trainerroad with a dumb trainer was never too much of a hassle keeping an eye on making sure I matched the target power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
I've been using a turbo mag trainer for the last 14 years and I want to upgrade without breaking the bank (under $500). I live in a region that makes cycling outside almost impossible at least 4-5 months a year. I don't have a power meter either. My questions are:

1. Low end Smart Trainers (Tacx Satori, Tacx Vortex or Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+) or Regular Mag Trainer with Zwift or Trainer Road?

Thanks much,

Consider: jumping rope, it might actually help developing underdeveloped muscles.

1.you already have mag trainer so why are you unhappy?
2. get free account for 2 weeks and try it, for me there is no difference at all, considering the huge difference :)
3. Depends, if you are training for TdF it might not be enough, but might be perfect for local clydesdale race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:

Thanks much,
I think you're missing an important option - Basic fluid trainer.
I use a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid trainer with Zwift and I find it very good. I think fluid trainers are far superior to mag trainers, especially if you want to use virtual power on software like Zwift or TrainerRoad.
Unlike mag trainers you can get the full range of resistance and in a much more realistic progressive manner using just your gears. This means you have simple control and full range of power available for virtual power.
There are several good fluid trainers about. The KK Road Machine is one, the CycleOps Fluid 2 is another.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. In my limited experience, the fluid trainer quality of ride is far superior; I quickly "downgraded" away from a smart trainer after "upgrading" to one.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Trainer vs Turbo Trainer Question [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agreed. In my limited experience, the fluid trainer quality of ride is far superior; I quickly "downgraded" away from a smart trainer after "upgrading" to one.

Very interesting. I have an old 1UP USA trainer and thinking about upgrading; my main problem with my current trainer is that it's a PITA attaching the bike to the trainer - something I must do every time I ride it. I have a power meter, so I really don't "need" a smart trainer. I can buy a LeMond trainer for $300 - a deal, or I find a good new or used fluid trainer. Suggestions?

Michael
Quote Reply

Prev Next