Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Alistair doesn't help his little brother and he's a "dick" but then he helps his little brother and he's "going soft." You can't win on Slowtwitch. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
kristenm wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:
You mean the guy who waited to cross the finish line until just before Mola? Seems like he was too busy show-boating for 4th to worry about the podium spots ahead of him.

Mola and Murray are teammates. looked like they were having fun (both were grinning as they crossed the finish line). the sport needs people like Murray to keep it entertaining
i don't have a problem with Henri celebrating.

Murray on the other hand was a complete DB. Standing there with JB prostrate on the ground rousing up the crowd then skipping/jumping for joy was to me too much. Sure celebrate your mate winning, but doing it how he did was a DB move.

Mario on the other hand was gracious in his victory as was Henri. Murray has totally gone down in my estimation.

I'm glad somebody else took this away. I've felt this since watching yesterday but couldn't figure out if it were my grumpy side.

Murray made an arse of himself yet again. He sees THE WHOLE situation unfold in front of him, then CHOOSES to celebrate his mate benefiting from someone elses demise, WHILST they are laid out semi-conscious in front of him.

Proper cock sucker move in my book.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I thought Murray was a bit of a DB before this season. His actions this year have confirmed it beyond all doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was awesome !!! Great move from alistair!!
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Murray epitomises everything that is distasteful in Sport, on the other hand Alistair Brownlee shows there are more important things than winning and money.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [KChen086] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, he's a dick alright. Did you see that BBC interview from yesterday? He is going to hold this over Jonny forever!

Still awesome to watch, and I'm an AB fan, but like many of the greats he is fundamentally a dick.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Oh, he's a dick alright. Did you see that BBC interview from yesterday? He is going to hold this over Jonny forever!

Still awesome to watch, and I'm an AB fan, but like many of the greats he is fundamentally a dick.

X2

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're mistaking being a dick with the very British character trait of taking the mick out of your friends or family. It's just what we do, there's no malice in it (in fact quite the opposite)
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally. There is a bit of a disconnect with some of the American commentators on here and understanding how the various ways in which the nature of close British friendships can manifest. Often you mock those that are closest to you the most.
Last edited by: messien: Sep 20, 16 4:20
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Yorkshire-ness goes over American heads a bit! My mother's side of the family are from that part of the world (Leeds!) and when I see Jonny and Alistair interact, it is totally what I grew up seeing and hearing with that side of the family!

It cuts both ways. I'm a huge fan of the American series The Wire (which is 100 times better than anything the UK could produce of a similar nature) but the aggressive way people talk with each other is totally alien to me, and I'm sure some of the subtleties of what is really meant go way over my head... Cultural differences!
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
My bad. Didn't know they were buddies. Just seemed odd for Murray to be so excited about finishing 4th.

Murray stopped short of the line for Mola and I think he was ready to let Mola finish ahead of him if Murray had been in 5th place rather than 4th place right before finishing. As far as AB, afterward he did say he was just jogging the run and dissed little brother for not pacing correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:

Last note was the DB who takes the win celebrating/fist pumping all the way to the line. Really? Congrats on third place bro.

Congratulations on the award for Slowtwitch's stupidest post of 2016!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:
My bad. Didn't know they were buddies. Just seemed odd for Murray to be so excited about finishing 4th.

Murray stopped short of the line for Mola and I think he was ready to let Mola finish ahead of him if Murray had been in 5th place rather than 4th place right before finishing. As far as AB, afterward he did say he was just jogging the run and dissed little brother for not pacing correctly.

Just jogging and still in a position to win if he had wanted it. Incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more.

I used to be a Murray fan, but his antics this year have totally turned me off, between the tantrum leading to the DQ, his post race comments about the Brits at the Olympics (he went back and retracted and deleted his tweet), to his finish line celebrations in Cozumel.

I've never been the biggest Mola fan (maybe because he doesn't race the same way as the Killer B's), but he is always very gracious and respectful, whereas Murray when asked about Jonny in his post race interview completely ignored what happened and just talked about Mola if I recall correctly.

I'm fine with being happy for your training mate, but even Mola seemed more concerned, and he just won his first world championship.

Murray has lost more than a few fans I reckon...
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, I bet he's a dick - even for a Yorkshireman. You don't see Jonny taking the piss nearly as much. Alistair is just that classic Michael Jordan/ Lance/ etc. alpha dogs.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have polar opposite personalities, I've seen a few documentaries on them and AB has always been the more outspoken of the two. But like the UK, Australia has a similar sense of humor, i certainly didn't take it as a dick comment, it's just what we say to brothers and mates.

I honestly don't think most Americans get brittish humor and i still don't think you do and never will because you haven't been brought up with the culture.

We mercilessly take the piss out of people we like or dislike basically. And ourselves. This is very important. Our brashness and swagger is laden with equal portions of self-deprecation. This is our license to hand it out.
This can sometimes be perceived as nasty if the recipients aren’t used to it. It isn’t. It’s play fighting. It’s almost a sign of affection if we like you, and ego bursting if we don’t. You just have to know which one it is.
http://time.com/3720218/difference-between-american-british-humour/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Eh, I bet he's a dick - even for a Yorkshireman. You don't see Jonny taking the piss nearly as much. Alistair is just that classic Michael Jordan/ Lance/ etc. alpha dogs.

Alistair, Michael and Lance do not belong in the same sentence.

Alistair and Michael - yes, the other one - not so much. He belongs in the discussion with Sammy Sosa.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [Lawyertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lawyertri wrote:
I agree Murray epitomises everything that is distasteful in Sport, on the other hand Alistair Brownlee shows there are more important things than winning and money.

Not necessarily accurate.. the series win is worth about $80000 where as the race win is worth only about $30000. If Mola hadn't got 5th place Johnee would have been up for that money. This was all about the series win and the series money, not just the grand final race.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Sosa - Barry Bonds is the better fit. Still not perfect though because Lance was driven to win, whereas Barry was driven to fill up a stat sheet.

I remain comfortable with my three.

As for those Pommies talking cultural awareness, I think I'm aware enough of how guys around the world communicate via insults. It is a universal language! I also know a dickish older brother/ alpha male when I see one. This isn't some secret - I'd guess more athletes are intimidated by AB than love him, and he is fine with that. Maccer was commenting on this back in his Olympic bid for London. He commented on how Ali was the boss, how he'd walk up and cut to the front of lines (queues for the Poms) just because he could.

Pure tough man. Obsessive. Grudge holder. Winner. Dick. Like Michael and Lance.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can agree to disagree on the cheaters.

Jordan, Ali are great. Bonds was great before cheating. Still bummed he cheated, he would have easily been a HOF'er without cheating.

Lance had to cheat to win, Sosa had to cheat to get a lot of home runs - sadly baseball's individual "winning" (he already had a lot of strikeouts) - both were cheating for the big paycheck.

I agree with the rest of your discussion. Another good comparison for Ali would be the young Tiger Woods.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Tiger idea too. Of course there are plenty of folks who suspect that Tiger might have been doping as well - rapid physique changes followed by all the back trouble as his connective tissue couldn't keep up with the muscle growth...

It isn't like Lance was nothing before drugs. His relative success in HS swimming and cross country and of course his years as "The Kid" on the tri scene are well documented. I'm not one to absolve him for cheating because others were as well, but I assume anyone would have had to cheat to win. He was driven to train hard and dope hard.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee - Is he going soft on his younger brother!? [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
They have polar opposite personalities, I've seen a few documentaries on them and AB has always been the more outspoken of the two. But like the UK, Australia has a similar sense of humor, i certainly didn't take it as a dick comment, it's just what we say to brothers and mates.

I honestly don't think most Americans get brittish humor and i still don't think you do and never will because you haven't been brought up with the culture.

We mercilessly take the piss out of people we like or dislike basically. And ourselves. This is very important. Our brashness and swagger is laden with equal portions of self-deprecation. This is our license to hand it out.
This can sometimes be perceived as nasty if the recipients aren’t used to it. It isn’t. It’s play fighting. It’s almost a sign of affection if we like you, and ego bursting if we don’t. You just have to know which one it is.
http://time.com/3720218/difference-between-american-british-humour/

Agreed. British and Australians (and Kiwis) are far closer in style of humour. Hence why Americans sometimes struggle with it.

But its strange then that TV comedy from wherever can work regardless of where in the world you are.
Quote Reply

Prev Next