Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<why, is riding a bike different if you are on a different machine? I use whatever bike will specifically help me with the days objective. Some days that means a track bike is in order.

I like the wheels I have, and my bikes fit me pretty well. My road and track bikes are almost identical (except for crank length, I don't want long cranks on the fixie)>>

Keep on keepin on....
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 years ago, did they bring along a deck of cards on the bike? If not I'm not sure what the heck they did for 5 hrs without all these gadgets to monkey with. Its a wonder anyone finished at all...
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< 20 years ago, did they bring along a deck of cards on the bike? If not I'm not sure what the heck they did for 5 hrs without all these gadgets to monkey with. Its a wonder anyone finished at all... >>

20 years ago I was six. Staying on two wheels, rubber side down, held my attention just fine for hours on end.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank Day got soooooo bored finishing the first Ironman, that he invented Powercranks exclusively for the purposes of creating lively discussion. Dan Empfield got soooo bored doing an Ironman in the 1980's that he contacted DARPA and asked them if they could make their network available for commercial industry so that tri guys could debate the merits of the yet to be invented powermeters, on a yet to be invented virtual tri geek meeting room called slowtwitch.com :-)
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i waited 6+ weeks to get my powertap repaired, 3+ weeks to get my polar HRM repaired, i don't think you're going to get any superior service by choosing a different power company unless SRM is good....
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [mperlberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your experience with PT CS was probably atypical. They're usually pretty quick about it unless parts are not available.

SRM CS is also supposed to be good and fast but you will likely not need it. They are a bit understaffed so if you need immediate help in the middle of the season you have to call them rather than resort to email.

I've not had good luck with Polar CS.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good stuff here on ST. I'm taking notes now:

1. Do more squats.

2. Ignore the benefit of power meters.

3. Aim for a positive split.

Am I missing anything?

4. Ride tubulars with sealant in them and pump them to 160 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Do more squats.

2. Ignore the benefit of power meters.

3. Aim for a positive split.

4. Ride tubulars with sealant in them and pump them to 160 pounds.

5. Consider eliminating quick releases in favor of track hubs for maximum aero

6. You can improve your bike position/fit by asking a bunch of people who know little to nothing about you, your riding style, injury history, flexibility, ect. to look at pictures of you that may or may not contain a BMW, civil war videos, and bad wallpaper.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is this a) the stupidest use of $1.6K ever by a MOP’er, or b) the best $1.6K I’ll ever spend.

a) It's a stupid choice of power meter if money is an issue because you can get one for $300

b) IF you use it correctly and wisely then it is very much worth it
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the amount of money being made in this industry, if someone showed up on the bike Mark Allen rode in 1989 and won Kona, what would happen?

I mean, it is quite damning that with all of the must have gadgets the times really haven't come down. Either that or people are just wusses now...
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what power meter can you get for $300

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your seat is too high.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't think going slightly over threshold for 30-60 seconds in an IM length race makes a whole lot of difference.

I think it would depend on how far over you go and how frequently you go over. A course like IMMOO is more than happy to gleefully punish you with yet another small roller...and yet another opportunity to make a pacing mistake.

I don't believe you have to train with a powermeter on nearly every ride to get the majority of the benefit of using one. Once or twice a week, definitely a couple of race sims and then during the race and you'd be set.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Your seat is too high.

Ah yes! When in doubt, lower your seat.

Rules to live by.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I think it would depend on how far over you go and how frequently you go over. A course like IMMOO is more than happy to gleefully punish you with yet another small roller...and yet another opportunity to make a pacing mistake. >>

Well put.
Quote Reply

Prev Next