Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What he did a notable accomplishment, and most of us are pretty glad for him to see his evolution from single guy age grouper, to married age grouper, to pro husband, to dad+pro+husband, while going around internationally to make a go of it.

Yup, it is a lot harder than it looks.

A sincere congratulations on an awesome result. Keep it up !!

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Ask me anything" should be reserved for exceptional or noteworthy performances from pros or top amateurs in a contested race

I didn't realize Dan changed his name from Slowman to PubliusValerius.

You could have given us some warning.

Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Brad - congrats on your win! It's nice to see young men take career risks and pull it off. I have no comment on the respondents who do not merit comment, but I do have a question. Since you started from scratch in 2008, how has your swim training progressed from a big picture standpoint? For example, what sort of weekly yardage are you swimming this year, 2 years ago and 4 years ago? Are you doing any dryland training to supplement it? Do you have employ focuses swim periodization? And what is your plan for getting faster in the swim?

Thanks HuffNPuff! Leaving the Air Force at the 10 year mark was a huge career risk, however, happiness outweighed another 10 years of not being happy getting out of bed. I assume you were talking more the risk/investment of going all the way to Asia with possible a complete financial loss.

Just going to post the data I have easily accessible, so sorry it is not consistent.
2009- 77 miles
2010- 59 miles (stationed in Turkey through the winter and closest pool was 10miles each way commute by bike, through sketchy parts of Turkey, needless to say I barley swam in the winter.)
2011- 161
2012- 178
2013- 233
2014- 258
2015- 377
2016 1/4 to 8/28 (better dates for weekly avg.) 298 miles, 15,435yd/avg a week.
*Yes, I know I need to swim more.*

No dryland training to supplement, other than a small amount in December 2013/January 2014 while I was deployed. The swim has been a long work in progress. We put in one swim block focus in the fall of 2014, found some small gains then. The biggest problem I have is I don't have a consistent group to swim with. In Oxford my schedule is pretty much swapped from the college students, so when they are there I am usually gone, and when I am there they are out of term (the summer months). However, Sophia Saller is an ITU Female (former U23 World Champ), she just completed undergrad and is now working on her PhD, which means she is there year around. So we are starting to train more together. When I swim with a group I see a boost in my swim fitness.

The next swim block will be this winter, it is my weakness, everyone knows it, and if I can figure it out then it will change the whole dynamic of how I tactically race. The run still needs a bit of work, but I feel I can ride pretty hard and still run consistently in the low 1:20's, which it seems more and more is what it is taking to get in the money. The bike is breaking people and if you can ride hard and hand on with a low 1:20's run you can find yourself at the tail end of the money.

If I was single and living the pro triathlete bachelor life, I think I would be spending some a 3-5 month block in either San Diego (where it is easy to get to the pool everyday and be outdoors with good squads) or plant myself with the Magnolia Masters and see what happens. But since that is not the case, not sure what the next best thing is at this point, just going to keep chipping away.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your leaps of logic never cease to amaze.

I could think of a well thought out response....but I would be wasting my time. I wonder if you would attack another pro if they did the same as what Brad did?

wsrobert would attack another pro, as long as it was from behind a keyboard...

Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The simple point being made earlier, that you've deemed an attack, was while this was important to Brad being his first "pro" win, it wasn't otherwise noteworthy

No. You should say it wasn't otherwise noteworthy to you. You should let the rest of us make that decision for ourselves, it is a public forum. If Dan has a problem with it, he can deal with it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win Brad, and for the record, I wish you hadn't changed the title of the OP; those other dudes can just suck it if they don't like it.

Aim High.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the details, and yes, I was asking because it appeared to me you needed some work there, and also because the swim is still my weakness despite 10 years in the sport and a lot of focus on it. Your steady climb in swim yardage is readily apparent and I appreciate the detailed response. BTW, the career risk I was referring to was leaving the AF after investing 10 years, not the Asian trip which was a relatively minor risk. Best of luck and I look forward to reading about your future successes.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The simple point being made earlier, that you've deemed an attack, was while this was important to Brad being his first "pro" win, it wasn't otherwise noteworthy

No. You should say it wasn't otherwise noteworthy to you. You should let the rest of us make that decision for ourselves, it is a public forum. If Dan has a problem with it, he can deal with it.

Since it seems you were also addressing me in your first comment - even though you responded to Bryan, I'll address that here too.

But who's hiding behind a keyboard? Aren't we all typing from a keyboard? Maybe reading comprehension fails you - but as I've already detailed, nothing I've said here would I not communicate in person. I once wrote a really shitty blog about my very average race results and even had a host of AG sponsors - all detailed in my signature here on ST. I've been in semi retirement for about 2 years (I can start an AMA about why if anyones interested), so deleted all of that. But my names Bill Robertson, I'm unfortunately now 33 and quite slow at the moment. What's your name?

You seem to have the same problem following your own directions - much like the gentleman before you with a similar sentiment. I can respect your opinion (even if its wrong - see how that works?) - can you not respect mine? Or because my opinion's different than yours, it appears you think I shouldn't have a platform to express it from?

Would you like me to edit that section of my post to clarify that I felt it wasn't noteworthy? Since I was the one writing that, I felt it was pretty clear.

Actually - Dev makes a great point above about how Brad was still able to perform after what can become a logistical nightmare traveling through southeast asia. Certainly respect that. I've complained about a 4 hour drive negatively impacting a race (because poor race results are never my fault). So yeah - I guess that part is certainly noteworthy.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:
Are you jealous? Whats the deal?

Come on Kiley Austin-Young, tell everyone what the deal is? Because I am not sure what the problem is?

I thought we covered this. The problem I have is the first three letters in the subject of this thread. Replace that with "Race Report" and I have no specific issues.

So in the long list of what's wrong with this world, this is what got you hot and bothered this morning? You either live a completely worry free life, or a completely miserable one.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our great friend in Rome has been grumpy ever since he changed his name:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbaffaro wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the caffeine rush right before a race. I usually do a 5 hour energy, which I'd assume is about the same thing.

Sorry had missed this reply. It is different in the sense that it has the "slow release technology" which gives an initial boost and then slowly releases the rest of the caffeine over the remaining duration. This allows you to avoid the "crash" that happens with most other caffeine products.

Price point is lower and easier to carry.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Congrats on the win Brad, and for the record, I wish you hadn't changed the title of the OP; those other dudes can just suck it if they don't like it.

Aim High.

Spot
Thanks Spot!

For those of you that have been supportive, I have a giveaway of prizes going on for 70.3 Worlds. Full Details here: http://www.bw-tri.com/...85487f9109a36e193267

Prizes include:
Grand Prize
1 ISM Saddle of choice
1 Ceramic Speed UFO Chain
Kiwami Kona Wings Short Sleeve
Kiwami Visor & Water Bottle
40 Packets of FireStar Energy

2nd Prize
Clever Training $50 Gift Card
Precision Hydration Product, Trucker Hat, & Water Bottle
Kiwami Kona Wings Short Sleeve
Kiwami Visor & Water Bottle

3rd Prize
blueseventy Element Goggles, Visor, & Water Bottle
Kiwami Swimsuit Kaha ( Boxer men)
Kiwami Swimsuit Moana ( 1piece women)

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we have to be on facebook to be able to comment and enter the drawing?

Since I'm not I'll put my guess here and hope I can still win. ;)

4:02:00 - 20th place

Also, not on twitter but I am on instagram, but I already follow you. Do I need to unfollow and then refollow to get entered for the 2nd & 3rd place prizes?

thanks for offering this and congrats on the win.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jet black wrote:
So we have to be on facebook to be able to comment and enter the drawing?

Since I'm not I'll put my guess here and hope I can still win. ;)

4:02:00 - 20th place

Also, not on twitter but I am on instagram, but I already follow you. Do I need to unfollow and then refollow to get entered for the 2nd & 3rd place prizes?

thanks for offering this and congrats on the win.

Yes, that is the easiest way for me to track entries since the link is being shared among multiple platforms and places. Do what you need to do to get your entry in ;)

I will take your entry from this post for the grand prize.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply

Prev Next