Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju
Quote | Reply
Since ST went into an uproar, I have changed the thread subject line. Feel free to still ASK ME ANYTHING :)
-----------
Slowtwitch has been a big part of my progression in the sport. I have been coming on here and learning from a lot of people since the very beginning. Although I am not as active as I have been in the past, I feel like I owe it to the ST community to come on here and answer questions from time to time. I also wanted to say thanks for what this community has done for me over the years. So with the recent win I figured it was fitting to share the race report and take some time to answer any questions people have.

---------------------------------------

To put this race into context, I had a rough week, finding out that my childhood friend Bryan Clauson had passed away during a tragic dirt track racing incident. I have put some of my thoughts into words on how this affected me and my race here. You can read that HERE.
There is a short video of the finish and awards/speech here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orcvz-2E3hs (sorry not sure how to embed it here)

I had originally planned to just do this race and not do 70.3 Asia Pacific Champs. Once I noticed they were back to back weekends I looked at the difference in airfare. It was only $250 more to add the Philippines leg to the trip, which meant I would have a bit more earning potential, although a bit risky to race back to back. I didn't know how big Chungju 70.3 would be until 10 days before, since they had not published the start list or provided it. The Friday before 70.3 Philippines I found out there were only 4 guys on the start list, myself included. This was a bit shocking, and also exciting at the same time.

I had raced the other 3 guys before, had beaten 2 of them and lost to 1. None of us were stellar swimmers and Nick Baldwin was the guy I was worried about as he had beaten me in Dubai, and is a solid all-around athlete. He can ride a bike and ran me down in Dubai. I came into the race with confidence from the Philippines and the week leading into the race had went well in terms of recovery. Mentally I was drained, didn't sleep all that well the first few nights after Bryan's passing, and my mind had been wandering during my workouts. I couldn't stay focused and I was just going through the motions.

The two nights before the race I started to be able to focus on the race and get better sleep. Friday, I had a few intervals during my run workout, and my legs were feeling good and the body seemed to have recovered really well. Saturday's pre race routine felt even better, and I was confident my body was ready to go. Sunday morning was a typical race morning, typical nutrition plan and routine. Nothing out of the ordinary other than a 2 km run to the swim start as it was a point to point swim.

Swim- 27:37

With the field not having any strong swimmers in it, I wasn't quite sure how it was going to play out. I wanted to keep an eye on Nick and if he started to get away I wanted to stick with him. It was a point to point swim, "down stream" in a river. They had mentioned there "might be" a current more towards the middle, but we were told we could swim either to the left or right of the buoys. At the start I managed to get out front and a group of 3 formed behind me. I moved out towards the middle of the river to see if there was actually a current. The group stayed more towards the "wall/shore" and I wasn't moving ahead of them, so I just stayed out there and we eventually came back together. I put in a few surges to see what would happen and the group stayed together. I knew Nick was on my feet as I could see his sleeves the few times he pulled up beside me. I didn't really want to be doing all the work, but at the same time I wanted to get out on the bike in the lead and be in control of the race. For the first time, and possibly the last time in a race, I was first out.

Bike- 2:11:28

Well, so much for that plan of being in control of the race. I led out of the water and then got left behind in T1. Nick opened up a 40 sec gap and I slowly closed that gap over the first 25 km. The course was a "lollipop" with 3 loops, which included two short climbs of 3.5 & 4 minutes. The descents were not too technical, other than a really rough and sharp turn at the bottom of the one, which pretty much brought you to a stop before starting the next climb.

Once I caught Nick, we rode together for the rest of the first loop and then up the first climb on the second loop, I opened up a small gap and then on the descent I took some risks and then the gap continued to open up. There was a small out and back section, and on the last lap, I didn't see Nick during this and I knew at that point I had at least a 4 minute gap. It turns out Nick ended up getting a slow leak flat and he ended up changing it. This left me coming into T2 with a 8:13 gap.

Run- 1:31:40

I got out on the run and settled into a rhythm and just focused on staying cool and getting fluids in. We were really fortunate that we had some cloud cover as it could have been a lot worse than it was. It was still quite humid and hot, just not nearly as bad as it could have been. Out at the first turn at 2 miles, I was able to get a split to Nick and it was roughly 8 minutes. At that point I was really confident in how I was running and feeling, so I just concentrated on clicking the miles away. By the 2nd of 4 laps the gap had stayed close to the same and I was still feeling good. By the 3rd lap it opened up a bit more and I just needed to keep putting one foot in front of the other. The legs were still feeling good, and I was just trying to keep my mind in it. The last 2 km was really emotional, I tried to keep it together, but as the finish line got closer it got tough. Thinking about BC, his family, and then all of the people that have been along for this journey. I cried, I celebrated, and even today it still has yet to set in that I actually managed to get a win on the professional circuit.

​​Swim- 27:37 / 1st out of 4 / Strava File
Bike- 2:11:28 / 1st out of 4 / Strava File / TrainingPeaks File
Run- 1:31:40 / 1st out of 4 / Strava File / TrainingPeaks File
Total- 4:12:54 / 1st out of 4
Full Results: http://eu.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz4IYFSgHTu
Media:
IRONMAN 70.3 Chungju Recap

» Weekend Wrap-up: Ironman 70.3 European Championships, Ironman Chungju 70.3, Ironman Dublin 70.3, Challenge Iskander Puteri AsiaTRI – Triathlon – From Short Distance to Long Distance

USA Triathlon Weekend Notebook: August 15

I can't thank Aaron, Dave and his family for being there on this special day. They were out on the course cheering everyone on, and just having friends out there to see throughout the day was a huge help. Being able to share this day with friends was amazing. It is a day that I will never forget.

Great to have RWB Teammate Dave at the finish line!

To look back and think that a little over 8 years ago I would stand a top a podium is something that never crossed my mind. What all started with then Army Colonel Brad Becker (now Major General) putting on a triathlon at Osan Air Base has led to so much more. That one small race which I used to get in shape and lose some weight, has forever changed my life. It has led me to the love of my life, my soul mate, best friend, and mother to our son Asher. Without the support of Hila, none of this would be possible. The support of my family has been unbelievable. To leave a successful and stable career in the Air Force to chase a dream, they may have thought I was crazy, but they have been behind me 100%. I can't thank them enough for that support.

The list is way too long to list everyone else individually that has played a part in this, but you know who you are, and I will never forget where I came from and who was part of that journey. From those original rides in Osan on my $200 Korean steel bike with an untrue rear wheel that people feared to ride behind, to the many training partners that logged countless hours with me, to those that have followed along on this journey and have continued to support me along the way, THANK YOU. Lastly, to the long list of sponsors that have supported me on this journey, thank you. Former and current, this road wouldn't have been nearly as easy without your support.​​

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Last edited by: @BW_Tri: Aug 30, 16 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great read-good for you and congrats, well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Very happy to read this and pleased for your success. Well done and Cheers to many more podiums!
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilu

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has to be the least contested 70.3 I have ever seen. 243 athletes in total, and only you and Nick beat the first female.

Slowtwitch needs to establish a basic threshold for an "ask me anything" thread, because this doesn't come close to meeting it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many diseases did you contract / chemicals did you ingest during the swim? Do you think the $3,000 in price money offsets the potential long-term health consequences?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great detailed race report! Congrats on the win!

Did the 3rd place pro do the whole race in the speedo he's wearing on the podium?
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
This has to be the least contested 70.3 I have ever seen. 243 athletes in total, and only you and Nick beat the first female.

Slowtwitch needs to establish a basic threshold for an "ask me anything" thread, because this doesn't come close to meeting it.

Do you thrive off of being a troll? Seriously? You are insulting Brad Williams. Are you a pro? Nah I didn't think so. Oh, you have good tires though so why didn't you go race?

Brad, please ignore the troll. He thrives off of pissing other people off.

I'm further convinced that PubliusValerius and RomulusMagnus are the same account.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 30, 16 8:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race, Brad. Congrats.

About that Spider LD --- I see a Blue Seventy swim skin, so I assume you find that faster than the Spider on the swim. Have you done any testing on that? Could you share the results? Was the Spider under the Blue Seventy?

Also, how does the Spider do in the hot temperature?

Thanks.

PS Ignore the haters!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

Figured there would be a few people with this stance, gotta love ST :)

Every registered pro had the same opportunity to sign up for this race. Part of the "game" now is race selection, think I have done pretty well at doing that. Should I have won a 70.3 at this time in my career, probably not, I got lucky and I will be the first to admit that.

As for "rules" on posting an AMA thread, I would go out on a limb to say there are a few people that are interested to know how I have progressed in the sport, and how I found myself on top of a 70.3 Podium. Sorry that you are not one of those.

And yes, the least contested 70.3 I have seen to date, the ONLY race I have seen where a MALE pay check was left on the table.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
How many diseases did you contract / chemicals did you ingest during the swim? Do you think the $3,000 in price money offsets the potential long-term health consequences?

I have raced plenty in Korea, lived there 4 years previously. I have never had an issue with the water quality at ANY race in Korea. This race was no different.

The $3,000 covered my expenses for the 2 weeks in Asia, just barely............

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [aeroyoost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aeroyoost wrote:
Great detailed race report! Congrats on the win!

Did the 3rd place pro do the whole race in the speedo he's wearing on the podium?

Think he may have used a Swimskin for the swim, not positive. Other than that, yes he did race in the speedo the whole time.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well done Brad!
I think part of a successful season of a PRO athlete is also the strategy related to which races to participate.
you were smart in this and you performed great, independently of the field

Hope to see you winning again soon and to meet you in another race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could have started a regular race report thread like everyone else. "Ask me anything" should be reserved for exceptional or noteworthy performances from pros or top amateurs in a contested race (e.g. rappstar '15 IMMT, callummillward '15 Boulder 70.3, danstu4 IMFL '15, etc.). This wasn't one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
You are insulting Brad Williams.

That's correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
You could have started a regular race report thread like everyone else. "Ask me anything" should be reserved for exceptional or noteworthy performances from pros or top amateurs in a contested race (e.g. rappstar '15 IMMT, callummillward '15 Boulder 70.3, danstu4 IMFL '15, etc.). This wasn't one of them.

Sorry, I didn't know you were the ST Police. If you post your contact details I will be sure to send over the "fine" that you see fit for this.

Find this a bit odd for you to be such a critic. Not sure what I did to piss you off, I know we have met. I know we have raced against each other. Are you jealous? Whats the deal?

Come on Kiley Austin-Young, tell everyone what the deal is? Because I am not sure what the problem is?

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding of an AMA is that Dan or someone else reaches out to the athlete and asks if they'd like to participate in an AMA after a noteworthy performance. Assuming the athlete agrees, the thread gets stickied for a period of time while people ask questions about said noteworthy performance.

It seems even you agree that this performance wasn't especially noteworthy. Which begs the question why you thought a post in the direction of an AMA was called for?

As someone else has mentioned, no harm in posting a race report like every one else does. And surely those that you apparently think are interested in hearing about your progress can read about your race there. And even ask questions if they wanted. Or maybe all of your fans who were interested in following your progress already follow you on other social channels where they've likely already heard from you or read the report on your site.

Congrats on your first pro win and all that. But I also struggle to understand the point of an AMA for the winner of a race of 260 people where pro paychecks were left uncollected.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
Nice race, Brad. Congrats.

About that Spider LD --- I see a Blue Seventy swim skin, so I assume you find that faster than the Spider on the swim. Have you done any testing on that? Could you share the results? Was the Spider under the Blue Seventy?

Also, how does the Spider do in the hot temperature?

Thanks.

PS Ignore the haters!

Thanks Hugoagogo-

I haven't actually done any testing. With the new rules you CAN swim with sleeves to the elbows, I have just chosen not to. I need to do some testing in the pool to determine if there is a negative effect in doing so. I do NOT feel any restrictions in my shoulders with the top on, in fact if it is a wetsuit legal race I where the top up under the wetsuit.

Yes, the Spider was under the blueseventy swimskin, I did the same thing in the Philippines and that race had a long transition area, so I was able to get the top on while running. The transition are in Chungju was very small due to the small race and it was really close to swim exit, so I had to take a bit of time at my bike to get the top on. The suit has tested really well independently of Kiwami and also has been verified with their own testing, so I am fine taking a few seconds to put it on.

The Philippines and Korea were the 2 hottest races I have done in the LD Spider and I had no issues with it feeling "hot" from the suit. It was just HOT in general. I think the Spider LD Aero is an improvement over the LD Aero when it comes to heat. Kiwami has really been great about R&D with their kits the last few years and I have been really impressed with what they have done in terms of development. It is always great to test new products for them and have them take my feedback into the development process.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Sorry, I didn't know you were the ST Police. If you post your contact details I will be sure to send over the "fine" that you see fit for this.

Find this a bit odd for you to be such a critic. Not sure what I did to piss you off, I know we have met. I know we have raced against each other. Are you jealous? Whats the deal?

Come on Kiley Austin-Young, tell everyone what the deal is? Because I am not sure what the problem is?

He just says what most of us are thinking.

But congrats; I'd be pleased as well.

ETA: I thought of a question for this "ask me anything"

Why are you riding a P5 now? (did you rent it from a Koren on spinlister?)
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Aug 30, 16 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Are you jealous? Whats the deal?

I thought we covered this. The problem I have is the first three letters in the subject of this thread. Replace that with "Race Report" and I have no specific issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

I think this says a lot about why people have a problem with this thread. I'll let you interpret from there.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

I thought we covered this. The problem I have is the first three letters in the subject of this thread. Replace that with "Race Report" and I have no specific issues.

To make you and the others happy, it has been changed. Look forward to racing with you again Kiley, hopefully you make the step up sooner than later :)

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
My understanding of an AMA is that Dan or someone else reaches out to the athlete and asks if they'd like to participate in an AMA after a noteworthy performance. Assuming the athlete agrees, the thread gets stickied for a period of time while people ask questions about said noteworthy performance.

It seems even you agree that this performance wasn't especially noteworthy. Which begs the question why you thought a post in the direction of an AMA was called for?

As someone else has mentioned, no harm in posting a race report like every one else does. And surely those that you apparently think are interested in hearing about your progress can read about your race there. And even ask questions if they wanted. Or maybe all of your fans who were interested in following your progress already follow you on other social channels where they've likely already heard from you or read the report on your site.

Congrats on your first pro win and all that. But I also struggle to understand the point of an AMA for the winner of a race of 260 people where pro paychecks were left uncollected.

Sorry I wasn't aware of the protocol or process that has been used in the past. Hope the change in the subject line/title makes everyone happy.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: AMA: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

He just says what most of us are thinking.

But congrats; I'd be pleased as well.

ETA: I thought of a question for this "ask me anything"

Why are you riding a P5 now? (did you rent it from a Koren on spinlister?)

Thanks for the question James. No, I did not rent it from a Korean on Spinlister. I have been on the P5 since January of this year and am very happy with it. If you would like to come to the UK and ride it, it will be on Spinlister for you to rent. Let me know if you have any other questions about Spinlister or my P5.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: RACE REPORT: First Pro Win @ 70.3 Chungju [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
To make you and the others happy, it has been changed. Look forward to racing with you again Kiley, hopefully you make the step up sooner than later :)

He's not nearly fast enough to be a pro. Though when fit would likely beat you.

But I'm just quarterbacking over here...

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply

Prev Next