Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "downtube" area of the frame is going to look a lot like the original Cervelo Barrachi

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I don't trust Felt but I find it very hard to believe that would *add* drag. Worst case I'd imagine it would be a wash.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
Seems to be very much like what Culprit where trying to do but with even more fairings to hide the front mech and 'hidden' storage. They had some cool drawings of modern takes on the Hotta frame (with a top tube) but those features weren't in the plastic prototype. I'm not too convinced that one needs all these clever storage places. In most long course races you can pretty much get all your nutrition from the aid stations and what you start with.

Very disappointed that we didn't see anything interesting at the Tour, hopefully the Eurobike show will yield some treasures. I suppose we're going to see two distinct camps emerge this year and next: disc brakes and traditional caliper. Disc brakes will allow for more radical wheel shapes, narrower front ends and smaller brake levers (such as a Tula ones) as they'll be effective on descents. What's not clear to me is whether these can outweigh an aero caliper design.

SteveMc

Steve. With disc, I wouldn't suggest narrower front ends. You can actually get cleaner air flow with a wider fork around the wheel, Keep in mind, track bikes are made for 1 wheels so they can make a perfect airflow. There are too many wheels on the market to limit a tri bike to one wheel only. My disc fork on Legend blew away the wind tunnel operator at how well the air flowed through it.

Regarding storage. I agree with you. I designed basic needs but avoided making the bike so integrated that it required all proprietary parts. Will be interesting to watch this bike become a reality and see how it compares to Ventum, Dimond and the "new Cervelo".
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
Seems to be very much like what Culprit where trying to do but with even more fairings to hide the front mech and 'hidden' storage. They had some cool drawings of modern takes on the Hotta frame (with a top tube) but those features weren't in the plastic prototype. I'm not too convinced that one needs all these clever storage places. In most long course races you can pretty much get all your nutrition from the aid stations and what you start with.

Very disappointed that we didn't see anything interesting at the Tour, hopefully the Eurobike show will yield some treasures. I suppose we're going to see two distinct camps emerge this year and next: disc brakes and traditional caliper. Disc brakes will allow for more radical wheel shapes, narrower front ends and smaller brake levers (such as a Tula ones) as they'll be effective on descents. What's not clear to me is whether these can outweigh an aero caliper design.

SteveMc

Steve. With disc, I wouldn't suggest narrower front ends. You can actually get cleaner air flow with a wider fork around the wheel, Keep in mind, track bikes are made for 1 wheels so they can make a perfect airflow. There are too many wheels on the market to limit a tri bike to one wheel only. My disc fork on Legend blew away the wind tunnel operator at how well the air flowed through it.

Regarding storage. I agree with you. I designed basic needs but avoided making the bike so integrated that it required all proprietary parts. Will be interesting to watch this bike become a reality and see how it compares to Ventum, Dimond and the "new Cervelo".
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I'm all for new frame designs, but they have to be faster. No one really knows if a Hotta frame is faster than a P5.

Fair point, although I spoke to a very clever aerodynamicist many years ago who was privy to the testing of Obree's tricked out Hotta aero track bike from the 90s and it was faster than the Boardman Lotus. It had a longer front end then the one sold for track or road.

In typical Obree style, he road it a few times but preferred his 'old faithful' and used that in the track heats.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
1 X 11 or 1 X 12 with the shroud and not FD could be very interesting.

1x12? You think they're going to roll with an Eagle drivetrain?
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was designing a bike, I would have a 12 rear designed into it as this is where the industry will be going. with the shroud on the front, I feel that 1x is the best design without the hanger and FD
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michi Weiss started riding Diamondback this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
If I was designing a bike, I would have a 12 rear designed into it as this is where the industry will be going. with the shroud on the front, I feel that 1x is the best design without the hanger and FD

The problem with 12x, in the way Sram has incorporated it into Eagle, is that the 12th gear relies on the dish of the wheel to actually fit. I don't think you could take the 12th gear down to anything less than maybe a 48 and have it actually fit on the wheel. IMO 11-48 would be a pretty ridiculous gear spread. The jumps are big enough on my shimano 11-42 on my hardtail. I couldn't imagine riding something like that on a TT bike.

Ideally you'd get something like a 11-36 12speed but I don't think you could make it fit on current free-hub bodies.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could use a disc or tri spoke ; ).

You could use a rear cassette starting at a higher cog tooth count (14), ending in 40 something, with a bigger front ring.
Last edited by: Synnove: Jul 23, 16 23:40
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's true, you could start with a higher sprocket count. Cassette would end up being quite large. I don't really care about the weight, but that large of a cassette may start to have an aero penalty though you'd come out slightly ahead on friction.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the time Cervelo kicks out this "new" model, it'll be old technology & we'll be onto a human powered hovercraft-like bicycle, where tires aren't needed any longer. (pink)
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervel-who
Quote Reply

Prev Next