Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly)
Quote | Reply
http://lavamagazine.com/...new-andean-tri-bike/

Discuss

Edit: at 2:25 in the video, no seat stays.

Some people are saying they see disc brake mounts thought I haven't managed to pick those out yet.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Jul 21, 16 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seros w/ a Canyon front end and Trek behind the seat tube storage?
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"unique tunnel testing protocol that no one has seen before"

Great...another one.

Will be curious to see the geometry. Going to follow industry trend or not.

Formerly TriBrad02
Last edited by: TriBrad02: Jul 21, 16 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what it looks like to me. Hopefully they don't screw up the cockpit and brakes.

Base bar looks like a USE1 Tula.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo has a new tt bike coming... this past spring ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes ?
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I wonder if this will actually happen before the end of the year ? Interbike? Kona?....makes you wonder what could cause such a delay after bothering to make the announcement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sketches show internal frame storage of a flat kit. The end of this year and next year should be very exciting for bikes!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a marketing release with no details as to frame design, testing, cost. Who is riding Diamondback? One objective measure is the Kona bike count, how many bikes have they had at Kona? This is just advertiser paid content.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
Disc brakes ?

The model they tested in the wind tunnel clearly had disc brakes....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, in the video at 1:21 and 1:51 you can see front and rear (mounting) respectively. Now sure what to make of that - it was really only a matter of time I suppose. Now, let me see, who makes a rear disc with disc brake rotor :-)
Last edited by: Behan: Jul 21, 16 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:

Kevin Quan isn't known to "follow" everybody else. He is known for making fast bikes though.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:

Great...another one.

I think that refers to them using scale models instead of full-size.

I see the separate braking discs on the tunnel model, and also in some of the CAD views.

...So, I guess the "theme" of the bike is to "integrate" everything EXCEPT the braking surface with the rims. WTF?

Oh well, I guess that fits with the "NOT UCI" theme :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
Also, in the video at 1:21 and 1:51 you can see front and rear (mounting) respectively. Now sure what to make of that - it was really only a matter of time I suppose. Now, let me see, who makes a rear disc with disc brake rotor :-)

The complete definition of "redundant" :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 21, 16 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to be very much like what Culprit where trying to do but with even more fairings to hide the front mech and 'hidden' storage. They had some cool drawings of modern takes on the Hotta frame (with a top tube) but those features weren't in the plastic prototype. I'm not too convinced that one needs all these clever storage places. In most long course races you can pretty much get all your nutrition from the aid stations and what you start with.

Very disappointed that we didn't see anything interesting at the Tour, hopefully the Eurobike show will yield some treasures. I suppose we're going to see two distinct camps emerge this year and next: disc brakes and traditional caliper. Disc brakes will allow for more radical wheel shapes, narrower front ends and smaller brake levers (such as a Tula ones) as they'll be effective on descents. What's not clear to me is whether these can outweigh an aero caliper design.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
Very disappointed that we didn't see anything interesting at the Tour, hopefully the Eurobike show will yield some treasures.

I agree that while there normally seems to be quite a bit of buzz around new stuff being introduced at le Tour, it has been a very quiet year. A new Oltre from Bianchi and new helmets from Bell, but that's about it. Some of the 2017 bikes are starting to be unveiled, but most of the announcements have been MTB and CX.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be shocked if the new 140.6+ Cervelo looks like the Hotta Frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [AC$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AC$ wrote:

I'd be ecstatic. The fact that it didn't show up for the tour does leave me hopeful that it's not UCI legal.
However, they might just be struggling with having taken on too many difficult projects, namely the new UK track bikes.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
TriBrad02 wrote:

Great...another one.

I think that refers to them using scale models instead of full-size.

I see the separate braking discs on the tunnel model, and also in some of the CAD views.

...So, I guess the "theme" of the bike is to "integrate" everything EXCEPT the braking surface with the rims. WTF?

Oh well, I guess that fits with the "NOT UCI" theme :-/

Given the relatively small difference in drag between frames, I wonder if needing to correct for reynolds numbers for testing small-scale models in a wind tunnel introduces errors large enough to make the results not useful? I do not know what the scale of these errors would be.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
AC$ wrote:

I'd be ecstatic. The fact that it didn't show up for the tour does leave me hopeful that it's not UCI legal.
However, they might just be struggling with having taken on too many difficult projects, namely the new UK track bikes.

SteveMc

I'm all for new frame designs, but they have to be faster. No one really knows if a Hotta frame is faster than a P5.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the images in this video are what eventually gets released in the bike, they are definitely doing some stuff that is completely new and disc brakes are the least of it. The biggest game changer might be the shrouded chain ring. That combined with flat kit storage in front of the chain ring lead to a HUUUUUUGE bottom bracket structure. I know weight is not a primary concern in a tri bike - up to a point. I wonder how much weight this adds?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 X 11 or 1 X 12 with the shroud and not FD could be very interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamondback has a new tri bike coming (around Kona supposedly) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
If the images in this video are what eventually gets released in the bike, they are definitely doing some stuff that is completely new and disc brakes are the least of it. The biggest game changer might be the shrouded chain ring. That combined with flat kit storage in front of the chain ring lead to a HUUUUUUGE bottom bracket structure. I know weight is not a primary concern in a tri bike - up to a point. I wonder how much weight this adds?

I know QR had tested the chainring shroud when developing either the CD0.1 or Illicito - they had pics of one of their wind tunnel test bikes (I think it was call 'sluggo') that had a lot of interesting 'game changers' going on, but didn't make it to production for whatever reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good eye. When I first glanced at that frame all I noticed was the lack of seat stays. I wonder how they'll do 2x with a shrouded chainring like that? Also, that design seems like it would limit gearing a bit. I like the idea of the flat storage kit being low in the frame like that. Lower center of gravity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Felt experimented with no seat stays on the IA and said that they would have to increase the size of the chain stays which would create more drag than having seat stays.

The Ventum has no seat stays though.

Quote Reply

Prev Next