Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me build a sub-900 gram aluminum clincher disc wheel [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
Why bladed spokes if it's for a disc? Aren't butted spokes lighter? Then you don't have to worry about twisting the bladed part.

'J Disc' used to make this wheel. It was really light. They used a cloth backed mylar cover I think. It was glued on. It is like another poster suggested.

Not tied to the bladed spokes. I don't know anything about spokes or wheelbuilding so hence why I asking for recs. The super spoke seemed very light but if with 24 config it won't work let me know.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Help me build a sub-900 gram aluminum clincher disc wheel [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Not tied to the bladed spokes. I don't know anything about spokes or wheelbuilding so hence why I asking for recs. The super spoke seemed very light but if with 24 config it won't work let me know.

I don't know anymore.

Used to be 32 spoke wheels were argued to be the strongest. And there's only 8 spokes difference between 24 and 32, plus it was way easier to find 28 or 32 hole hubs/rims back in the day. Light used to be a 32 hole hub using 16 holes on the drive side laced 2-3 cross and 8 spokes on the non-drive side laced radially into a 24 hole rim.

My cheap Cosmic Elite wheels have 20 spokes in the rear.

Again, what people used to do isn't necessarily what they do now. Technology and all. I'd put together what you want and find a wheelbuilder to do it, honestly. I'd use your time to create or fabricate a cover. That's me. Custom wheels are kind of a thing of the past these days.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Help me build a sub-900 gram aluminum clincher disc wheel [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
My cheap Cosmic Elite wheels have 20 spokes in the rear.

Which works because they are chunky spokes, likely more than 2x the weight of a superspoke and more than that in cross-sectional area. Laced to a heavy, stiff rim. So you don't need so many.

Wheel design is all about balancing characteristics of the components while taking into account the requirements of the user.
For a wheel that is going to be raced hard it is worth putting a few extra spokes in. Also not worth paying the extra money for bladed spokes as the wind won't see them.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me build a sub-900 gram aluminum clincher disc wheel [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next