Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Mantis position

Right, a few might do mantis/superman - thought I seriously doubt it would become commonplace. But what triathlete uses it regularly? I think a few pro triathletes have tinkered with it - that's about it.

The praying mantis is position is not even close to the Superman position. Two completely different positions.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Mantis position

Right, a few might do mantis/superman - thought I seriously doubt it would become commonplace. But what triathlete uses it regularly? I think a few pro triathletes have tinkered with it - that's about it.

The praying mantis is position is not even close to the Superman position. Two completely different positions.

My intent wasn't to claim they were the same...but now it does feel kind of silly using the ambiguous '/' to save myself from typing 'or'.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Mantis position

aer
Jesse Thomas and TJ Tollaksen off the top of my head.

RIght and I don't think we give TJ just enough credit for how good his .cDa is given his body size. It really works for him. I would like to move to a full mantis setup myself, but I want to do it right and my current aerobar setup does not allow it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh-huh......You realize "it" is singular, right? So when you say "IT would become commonplace" or "uses IT regularly" you are saying they are the same thing.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I don't think they are constrained much either, except for quite tall riders who really should be allowed more reach.

Yeah, that's why I brought it up. I came over to road from triathlon, and I'm 6'3". And I ride steep, like a triathlete. At one event where it was unclear if UCI rules would be enforced, so I thought I'd better check to see if I could make it compliant "in the field" and prepared myself for fit armageddon. But it wouldn't have been too hard, taking the morph-exemption at the saddle and accepting a few cm shorter extensions, and (at the time) moving the hands a bit lower. They didn't end up enforcing, thankfully, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Uh-huh......You realize "it" is singular, right? So when you say "IT would become commonplace" or "uses IT regularly" you are saying they are the same thing.

Sigh. Only on slowtwitch would someone freak the hell out over suspected ignorance over the extremes of TT position.

I'm on the World Hour Record Discussion group on Facebook, I understand me my superman history!

I apologize for my imprecise language.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. In fact, I'd say grossly overstating the difference.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 25, 16 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
There would be more "superman" positions.
Typical pro TT race courses have climbs, descents and various technical elements that would likely make such a set up impractical.

Maybe not full superman, but something closer to it. Maybe. And maybe not commonplace either, but a certain Graeme obree used it pretty well on road tt's as well as on the track.

You'd still have bullhorns for descents and stuff.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They put out crazy watts which makes up for massive aero sins. I will say having studied a number of them IMO that width matters more than height. So many people focus on getting low, low, low and I think getting narrow trumps height. You can actually create a smaller footprint in a higher position AND still generate a ton of watts. My $0.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
AlexS wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
There would be more "superman" positions.

Typical pro TT race courses have climbs, descents and various technical elements that would likely make such a set up impractical.

Maybe not full superman, but something closer to it. Maybe. And maybe not commonplace either, but a certain Graeme obree used it pretty well on road tt's as well as on the track.

You'd still have bullhorns for descents and stuff.
Road TTs that Obree did in the UK are mostly non technical out/back courses.

Without the rules riders would be in fully faired recumbents designed with enough handling/braking capabilities to cope.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you compmare the best proTT riders to pro triathletes the difference is probably due more to the demands of the event as much as anything else - distance, swim before, run after, etc. The UCI rules are there but with some recent changes more latitude in position is possible. An example is the 10 cm vertical distance from the arm rests to the end of the aero bars.and not level as in the past. A mild mantis position is possible as shown by TJ. Very tall riders such as myself are slightly constrained but with some patience is possible to get a great position with the UCI constraints.

Certainly a full superman position is probably faster than a great UCI legal position as shown by world hour records ( both male and female absolute records set in the superman position are a couple of km faster than the current UCI legal positions ) but in pursuit the current records in legal positions are faster than those in superman positions and neither was set at alditude.

I don't see anyone trying to ride a superman position in tri even though it's very very fast. constraints of the sport. How about an equally fast Obree "egg" position. Try to hold either for 4 plus hours. Good luck with that.

I think with MOP triathletes or Cat 4 ( sorry - not trying to offend either ) most have equally slow positions but that just observation

Back to demands of the event: I have a pretty aggressive UCI legal,position ( 22 cm drop from saddle to arm rest, I use 5 cm morph exception so 85 cm from saddle nose to bar ends and 5 cm setback with an ISM saddle ) . I can ride for 40 km or more hard no issue but I tried to relax it slightly and ride a 170 km event. There is no way on earth I could run 5 km after that . 42 ? Shoot me please.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeanV wrote:
The bike in Tri is a TT and makes up for ½ the time of the event so really I would expect many triathletes to be better at a TT that a lot of even very good road riders.

Many triathletes better in the TT than very good road riders? You forgot the pink font.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are TDF level TT'ers positions so different than Triathletes? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see many Triathletes even in the Pro ranks with aggressive positions. There is a reason for this, they have to run afterwards and they are on the bike much longer. Here is a bunch of 50 + age grouper doing a TTT on a day with 50 mph cross wind gust. Being so windy and a Team TT, everyone has their heads up and sitting pretty high. But anyone of these guys position would rival the better positioned Triathletes.

[/url]

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next