Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Race day pump [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
You can't bring any floor pump in a carry-on. I ordered the 20'' Lezyne this afternoon and I will ship it in the bike case. I called TSA this morning and while I was waiting for an agent who never picked up I listened to the recording explaining how some things like a bat can be used as a weapon and are excluded. I wouldn't want to have waited in the line only to be denied and have to run back to check in my pump with baggage and then return to TSA to wait in the line again. The Sears battery pump is also excluded because it says that cordless drills are excluded and they are not going see the difference.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who had this problem with carry-on. The only reference on the TSA website is under "bicycle tire pump" where it states this item is okay as carry on or checked. They can't be referring to small hand held pumps because they also suggest checking with airline to ensure it fits under seat or in above bin......which it will if its inside your carry on bag. Again, appreciate hearing any feedback from those who have taken pumps as carry on. I also ordered the same pump and plan to carry on with my next trip in August.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found this:

Search Results For:
bicycle pump

Check or Carry-on
You may transport this items in carry-on or checked baggage. For items you wish to carry on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.
To help officers get a clear look at your bag and reduce the need for additional screening, we suggest you pack your bag in neat layers (layer of clothes, layer of electronics, layer of clothes, layer of shoes, etc.) and wrap cords tightly around electronics items.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Great, even though it is allowed, it can be rejected. I'm glad we got that cleared up!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Lezyne Travel Pump on Thursday and just used it to pump up two bicycles, 4 tires. I'm 6'0 so it feels really low when I'm pumping but it pumped up just about the same as my full size Lezyne. This pump will fit nicely in the bike case with my wife's size 52 bike. The screw on chuck is no big deal. I couldn't get in on my H3 but I do have a crack pipe so I just have to make an adaptor to get it to fit.

All around I'd say it's a win For short trips i can skip the checked bag and for longer trips it won't take up as much room as the full size pump.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the Lezyne chuck thread onto a Presta valve and fit inside a Zipp disc cut-out with a 51mm valve stem (common for latex tubes)? I'm looking for a solution where I don't need three hands to pump.

jakers wrote:
The Lezyne Travel drive is a good bit smaller than a normal floor pump, but works just as effectively. It also has the versatility of the Lezyne chuck that doesn't require a crack pipe for a disc.

jake
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could get it to lock on to a 48mm valve stem in a Zipp disc. pumped up my own tires in transition.

jake

Get outside!
Last edited by: jakers: Sep 22, 16 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've replaced the Lezyne chuck with one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-replacement-abs-hose/

This allows me to bend the valve very slightly on the disc (I have a 2009 Zipp with a dremelled cut out, so very small) and screw on the hose. It also screws on to the valve extender on my 808 front. Works perfectly for me. I found the standard Lezyne chuck wouldn't do my disc, and nor would the speed chuck.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Best raceday pump is the one someone else has to bring to the race.

"Can someone give me a pomp? A pomp?! They are allowed to give me a pomp, right?"

Holy shit just realized it's been 8 years. What?????

Haha - Good one! I can't believe 8 years either. I watched her cross the finish line then!
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
The Sears battery pump is a nice tool (since Bosch doesn't make theirs anymore) but the bad news is that the NiCad battery is expensive crap. I got the pump because I had bought a tool set that used the same battery and had two of them already. The NiCad battery drains down very quickly just from sitting, even if it is not connected to the tool. Totally untrustworthy. The lithium battery is $80 and the charger is $50 but I don't know about their reliability.
The Leyzene pump takes a few more strokes than a full size, but it is a great design with an accurate built in gauge, foot peg, lock on head and bleed off valve. Extremely compact and light.

The Lithium-Ion battery is fantastic. Used 3-5x a week, the charge lasts 2-2.5 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting option. I already have several Craftsman C3 tools and 5 Li batteries. That pump + battery would definitely be heavier than a small manual travel pump but in my bike bag I guess a pound or two really doesn't matter. I'll check it out but I'm leaning towards the Leyzene if I can work out a good thread-on solution that fits my Zipp Super9 disc.

trimule wrote:
The Sears battery pump is a nice tool (since Bosch doesn't make theirs anymore) but the bad news is that the NiCad battery is expensive crap. I got the pump because I had bought a tool set that used the same battery and had two of them already. The NiCad battery drains down very quickly just from sitting, even if it is not connected to the tool. Totally untrustworthy. The lithium battery is $80 and the charger is $50 but I don't know about their reliability.
The Leyzene pump takes a few more strokes than a full size, but it is a great design with an accurate built in gauge, foot peg, lock on head and bleed off valve. Extremely compact and light.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm a big fan of my Lezyne Travel Pump for race day applications. It can pump to high pressure, has a pressure guage, and overall excellent fit & finish. It's biggest downside is it looks like an expensive pump, so when I loaned it to my GF last year for 70.3 Worlds and she loaned it to someone in transition, that a-hole decided to abscond with it. I hope he flatted and DNF'ed!!

But I bought another as proof that its a great pump. And I no longer allow anyone to walk off with my pump. If they're too lazy to bring their own to transition, they can bring their bike to my rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Lenzye compact pump as well and it works great. But if you want to go REALLY SMALL, I use this:

Lenzyne Micro Drive HP Pump (with guage)

I swapped the heads for both of the lenzyne pumps with a Top Peak Smarthead.

TopPeak Smarthead

The TopPeak head add some extra hose and more bulk to the pumps but they work flawlessly and with any kind of valve.

The micro drive is a little harder to pump than the compact but its much much smaller and i'm pretty sure it's carry on friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day pump [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:

One issue is that CO2 escapes more quickly, so you could use a lot of it by the time the IM bike leg is over. Particularly if you have latex tubes.

CO2 doesn't work with latex tubes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next