Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sig and Julian, brothers in the bond. PDT FSU
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [hcswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude don't do it! Be your own man! You can have so many more meaningful expriences doing your own thing. Just say no!!!!!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rho Pi Phi Sigma chapter at The University of Florida!

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the benefit of us foreigners who didn't go to universities with Fraternities/Sororites:

- What are they? (all I can imagine is "Animal House")
- What are the benefits?
- Why are you so proud of the one that you attended?

Not trying to be controversial - just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>We are the Taus, We are the Taus, We are the Alpha Sigma Taus... you gotta know that one.<<

Don't remember that one. I do remember a catty one about the Chi Omega girls (the snooty ones from the Animal House movie).

Tom hit it on the head, at least at my small Midwestern college in the late 1970s--highly structurized ceremonies (yes, we had an engagment ceremony too), lots of social stuff, charity too. One of my fondest memories was one of our winter formals and my dates--one of the rugby team guys and our friends Jack Black and Jack Green, and no, I'm not talking the actor.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave,

i'll try to answer your questions as well as i can, but i come from a not-so-average school, so maybe someone from a larger school can supplement this?

at my school, fraternities are groups of about 40 guys who are all very good friends. we live together in a house, and we have rituals that we keep secret. at the same time, we throw parties, hold mixers with sororities (this is a HUGE benefit, as i've met more than my share of lady-friends at these mixers), and compete in intramural sports (i owned the indoor-triathlon this year).

the idea is that you leave a mark on your school - that is, anyone can come to school, have their small circle of friends, then graduate and leave. with a fraternity, though, you can pass on traditions and qualities to the next "generation" of the organization. when our alumni come back for our annual "founders' day" event, its amazing how much i have in common with men 20-40 years older than me.

another benefit is academic. i can name 3 classes right now that i would not have passed, let alone gotten good grades in, if not for my fraternity brothers. they distract me when i am too stressed, and they yell at me when they know i should be working harder. we collect and organize old tests, so that i have practice problems during midterms and finals. and finally, they make sure i'm awake in time for class.

also, we do philanthropy, which is good karma, and good fun.

finally, alcohol. i've mellowed down since freshman/sophomore years, but i can say from experience that anyone who's underage and wants to drink can find a 21-year-old and ask for a trip to the grocery store.

its hard to not be proud of the group you're in. they say that "you get out of it as much as you put in", and they're right - i compete in all the sports (even at the expense of my fragile shins), have held a large number of positions, and have been an overall active member ever since i joined, and conditions like that make you realize that you are privileged to be among a great group of men.

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on that last post, I can say I'm proud to have you as a brother.

Keep making a difference, and busting your ass.

Amici

Burns...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delta Tau Delta at Florida State University from 1984-1989.

Actually I owe it to one of my brothers that got me into triathlons back in 1987. He was a cyclist and I bought a rode bike to train with him. One thing lead to another....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a TKE (which at the time was the largest fraternity in the U.S. measured by number of chapters) at Florida International University. I used to participate in all the athletic Greek Week events. Little did I know what that excersise would eventually lead to!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [trimichael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Trimichael...I was Pi Kappa Alpha at FSU on the same time frame, only I left after four years....;)

Go Noles!!!!

Halfacre

"A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." G.K. Chesterton
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [halfacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halfacre -

I was having too much fun to spend just 4 years in college. Go Noles!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to University of Colorado at Boulder in 86 thinking I would race bikes and do triathlons. Pledged Sigma Nu and saw those plans drown in a pool of booze. Had this great party called Return to the Womb, almost got our charter revoked.

Haven't kept in very good touch with my fellow brothers, not active as an alumnus. Maybe when I'm like 70 and have hair growing out of my ears (okay MORE hair growing out of my ears) I'll get more involved.

Wouldn't have traded the experience for anything, tho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you out of touch...it's fraternity, not frat.

I was a Phi Psi at Illinois State-Illinois Epsilon, not sure if it's still around. I live 1,000 miles away, literally. I have lost touch with the house in the last 5 years, but my closest friends still remain my fraternity brothers. I talk to them on a daily basis. It seems no matter where I live, one of the only people i know in town is a fraternity brother.

videoboa...live ever, die never!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I graduate next week from Texas A&M University. I have been a BETA for four years and have always been active.

However, I don't drink or party very much anymore because triathlon came to be more of a prioirity for me.

I don't imagine I will be very active as an alumnus aside from keeping in touch with some of my fraternity brothers. I definitely had a great time as a BETA during my time at TAMU though...

Justin D
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [wahoo magoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigma Pi Wayne State University, I can tell you it was one of the positive thing that I did. Brother hood is great.
Quote Reply

Prev Next