Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fraternities / Sororities
Quote | Reply
This is completely off-topic, but then again, so is a lot of what we talk about.

Are any of you guys in fraternities or sororities? If you're out of college, how active are you all in your chapters as alumni?

I'm a member of Phi Kappa Psi at Case Western Reserve University (that's OH Epsilon, if that means anything to anyone). And I'm still in school, by the way.

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am a Sig Ep alumni from UW. Not very active, but plan on changing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phi kappa theta in the wild days - we made animal house look choir boys....getting more active now that I have some time and resources
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alpha Sigma Tau in college, but not active in any alumni group. Too many other things going on now and that seems so long ago.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must kill frat boys. Frat boys stink. Smell like road kill. Mongo eat frat boys.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a few weekends drunk at Psi Epsilon...

It's basically a waste of good training time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beta Theta Pi....at the time it was the greatest decision I had ever made. Looking back, there are some regrets. Too poor to give my money to students who already live a higher lifestyle than me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alpha Tau Omega at FSU.

While I was in school, FSU was named #1 Party School by Princeton Review. That year, the NY Times came to FSU and to ATO for their cover story. Later that year, Rolling Stone Magazine also came, doing a story on the #1 Partier at the #1 Party School. He was an ATO...and ALSO went to my high school. If you've seen the "Burn Burt Show" (I think that is what it is called), that is the guy.

After 2 semesters, I realized I wasn't much of a fraternity guy...I wasn't doing tons of drugs or drinking much, and didn't have random sex with the ladies...Actually I didn't have sex of any kind back then! After those FUN semesters, I went much more inactive. Still keep in touch with some guys though. Very fun time of my life, and something that I really needed at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former Pledge Trainer, Zeta Beta Tau, university of Alabama.

Not very active now but still keep in touch with a ton of my fraternity brothers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there, brother.

Phi Kappa Psi, IN Epsilon, Spring '96 (that's Valparaiso University if you don't happen to have your manual at hand).

It's like anything - you get out of it, what you put in - but with a twist perhaps. It seems that every house has guys that bust their ass being involved, representing on campus, doing all the volunteering, etc. While I'm sure they get a lot out of those experiences, thier involvement after college is not noticeably better or worse than that of the slackers. The guys that really have an emotional attachment to the house, hell, you'll find them (and me) back three times a year AND carrying a check. Stay involved, even if it means you come back to buy rounds at the bar for the actives.

Couple things:

After graduation you'll run into a lot of people who, when it comes up in conversation, will say something like "oh, yeah... that's something I did in college". Don't be embarrassed of where you have come from. You worked damn hard to be in that fraternity (hopefully). House jobs (cleaning) twice a week, volunteering shit, intramural shit, committee shit, etc. AND you're still doing all the typical stuff to graduate for chrissake! Good for you.

Some people might call it the "good 'ole boy network", but you know what? I got one hell of a good job when I graduated. Do your part in hooking up people who are coming out with employment.

If you're no longer taking the standard deduction on your taxes (in other words, you itemize), start cutting a check. It's deductible. I'm not saying you should give more than what you give to St. No Name Church or HungryPeopleNeedFood Task Force, but give them something.

Good luck on your goals this next year (Tri and School/Job related). Contact me anytime.

Burns
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a Kappa Sigma at Shippensburg U in PA and married an Alpha Sigma Tau. I was their sweetheart and actually lived in their sorority house for a year (that was rough,but I sucked it up!). Funny thing is that I actually learned all their songs and stuff, so if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you Cathy, we'll have to see who remembers more, you or me : ).

At Kappa Sig, we also gave the Animal House guys a run for their money. Those were great days. I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat. Also resulted in me meeting and marrying one of the most beautiful girls on campus who gave me my two beautiful children.

Make the most of it because there is a whole world of responsibility that drops in your lap once you get out. I still keep in touch with 4 or 5 of my fraternity brothers who I would consider the best/closest friends I've ever had...even with only seeing them once a year since we got out 10 years ago.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Beta here. The Lehigh chapter, the Beta Chi of Beta Theta Pi.

I've been out of school for a while, and I'm not real active with the house. I do keep in touch with some of my brothers. Surprisingly, living in Michigan, I run with 2 Lehigh alumnus (not Betas), and swim with another.
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can ya still sing gamma nostra? I think I flunked physics as I was spending more time learning lore and songs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Phi Delta Theta at LSU during the late '50's and into the early '60's. This thread might help with the conundrum facing the alumni of my chapter, which, by the way, is the only Phi Delt chapter at a Louisiana university as all the rest have long ago closed down. My chapter has been suspended because of financial troubles and a deteriorating house. Because of this, the alumni have been asked to dig deep to contribute to a building fund and also to help the current members out of their financial morass.
My question is is this the normal progression of greeks on most campuses? In other words, a decline in those pledging fraternities & sororities. When I was in school, there were 36 greek institutions and today, there are 27 and quite a few of those are new greek organizations not there when I was there.
I really want to know from you people who have graduated within the last 10 years if there is a trend downward and if I am throwing money after a losing effort if I contribute?

Bob Sigeson
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can still remember some/most of it. I used to be able to sing it to Old Christmas Tree AND Yankee Doodle. Check out http://www.wright.edu/...ngs/Gemma-Nostra.mp3 for kicks.
- kai -
Last edited by: efernand: Dec 11, 03 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phi Gamma Delta aka Fiji

Grad: University of British Columbia, '90.

Perge!

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Beta house at ball state just closed down as my last year 92, they tore down the old house and built a whopper of a new one....only 13 guys moved in vs. the 30 they needed, mortgage was yanked and now the chapter is gone. In my financial situation, i just cant pay a frat mortgage on top of mine. BTW...when I was at BSU, I had no idea how big the Muncie Endurathon was....all the big names used to come that way...could have invited Dave Scott to a kegger! -kai- back at ya efernand...
btw...ever sing "phi delta thaaaaata, for those men, who, could not be baatas" ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Phelta Thi, TPU (Trailer Park University), majored in "criminal law."

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all you wannabe animal housers...i'm at the school it was written about...(snow crit was pretty crazy...)..haven't pledged, still too early, but it's in contemplation, and i have been dutifully "comparing" the houses.....

but i'm at home now. survived first quarter - flew by so fast - and soon time to hit the snow. oh i love xc skiing.

darrell

on the first note, i have been to a toga party.
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I was a Kappa Sigma at Shippensburg U in PA and married an Alpha Sigma Tau. I was their sweetheart and actually lived in their sorority house for a year (that was rough,but I sucked it up!). Funny thing is that I actually learned all their songs and stuff, so if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you Cathy, we'll have to see who remembers more, you or me : ).<<

We had some girls who were KE little sisters and we had KE house boys. We also partied a lot with the SAEs. My favorite boyz were the TKEs, but their house got shut down. Bad TKE boyz!

Uh, let's see how my memory is.

Drink beer, drink beer, oh come drink beer with me. For I don't give a damn for any ole man who won't drink beer with me....

There are a few others. ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theta Xi at Stevens Tech (Gamma Chapter).

Fraternity experience helped me grow a lot, from a a shy, reserved person into someone who can lead effectively.

I do have some regrets, like burying myself in fraternity business at the sacrifice of grades, but it was good.

I didn't go back for over a year after graduation (needed the time away), but I'm starting to get back into the whole 'active alumni' thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alpha Tau Omega at MIT. Great experience. Obviously not a top party school, but we had our share of fun, despite any stereotypes out there. Our alumni corporation holds the mortgage on the chapter house, and in turn rents it to the undergraduates. I do the treasury work for that. More than happy to still be involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years I've dated two young ladies who were members of sororities. Both of them were impressive women. One is a new attorney now doing very well and the other is married and manages a large restaurant. I was impressed by their sororities and a lot of their activities but they did seem to include drinking a lot which I have never done. They did a lot of charity work and their social acitvities were highly ritualized and often times reminded me of the military.

I was briefly engaged to one of the girls and I remember her sorority had this elaborate ceremony when she got engaged that involved them all dressing in white and candles and this entire ritual, it was actually quite moving.

I am still good friends with both of them and I am impressed with what a fne job they have done with their lives. One I talk to every week and the other about once a month.

I'm a better person for having known them and was fortunate to be in their company.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, this is ridiculous, but how about....We are the Taus, We are the Taus, We are the Alpha Sigma Taus... you gotta know that one.

I remember quite a few drunken fist fights with TKE. Of course that list would also include just about every other frat on campus. By the time I left school, both us and TKE had been shut down. On Saturday night you'd be drinking beer with the guy you got in a fight with on Friday night because you were both too drunk to remember which girl you were trying to impress with your "manhood" anyway...

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Fraternities / Sororities [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was in Phi Delta Theta at LSU during the late '50's and into the early '60's.
Phi Delta Theta at Univ. of Maryland 1980-84. The chapter went through a big money-raising drive in the early 90's to overhaul the chapter house. It seems to have worked, as it's still standing and going strong. I now live 2700 miles away and am totally out of touch.
Quote Reply

Prev Next