Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Need fuel for long runs [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and you sell what kind of gel on the weekends?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where? I love reading this stuff since I'm a member of several professional academies (i.e. American Medical Running Association, etc.)

Very easy to get "confused" about the intent/results from poorly designed studies (like most "nutritional" ones out there). I have been contemplating for a long time a true, double blind, placebo controlled study with "fake" gels for runners, etc. But time is a luxury that I can't buy or seem to get much of these days ...

Oh, I do like the amphipod system(s) though :)

And to swimfan77: if you want to consume a gel every 45 mins or so, just suck it down. No need for water, although there must be some place to get a sip in Anapolis :)

Last edited by: rroof: Oct 13, 05 19:49
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [Drock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you kidding me?

I can go race an oly tri without taking in any water or fuel, too, but I'm sure I will race better with some carbs and hydration. Weigh yourself before a 90 min run in 85+ degree humid Maryland air and then after. You'll weigh at least 3 pounds lighter even with the drenched clothes on still. That's about 40 oz of water.

You're trying to claim that that water isnt better replenished during the run? An IDEAL workout will end with the individual losing ZERO water weight. It's in every fitness magazine on the shelves.
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [swimfan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the best thing for training is to take in fuel"

Bullshit... unless your life is so hectic you can't get in a decent meal aftewards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drock

No, I spent 10 years in college and got a PhD in exercise physiology. I have read HUNDREDS of original research reports. I don't get my information from advertising. Maybe you should become more informed before offering opinions. (oh, and maybe you shoudl be a little less sensitive)

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't sell anything on the weekends. Actually, I am an Officer in the U.S. Navy. Don't get your panties in a bunch. If you are that sensitive, maybe you shoud not be posting on the web.

Mike
Last edited by: Mike Prevost: Oct 14, 05 4:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Yea and I know of a book that says the Egyptian pyramids were made by Space Aliens. :) "

Well..if that is the kind of stuff you are reading, no wonder you are posting bullshit here; )

Look...it's like this. Everybody knows that carbohydrate consumption during long duration exercise is a good idea (>2 hrs). THere have been some classic studies showing performance benefits in bouts as short as 10 minutes. There are no good physiological explanations for this as far as I know. Does that translate into better performance during shorter training runs? I don't know. Are you better off taking in carbs while you train, even during shorter bouts? Again, I don't know. But this guy is in the Naval Academy. It is a very controlled environment. I doubt that he can sit around in his living room snacking in front of the tube. He is running after a long day of class. At this point, it has probably been a few hours since he has eaten. When I do this, I tend to get a bit hypoglycemic from time to time. I carry carbs with me for runs shorter than an hour in this case, and have needed them to take care of bouts of hypoglycemia. The carbs have magically fixed me in no time at all, and allowed me to continue my run. If this guy wants to take a gel with him for these runs, I think it is a good idea. We are talking about 90 minute runs. This is right on the bubble as far as needing carbs is concerned if he has not eaten for several hours. Plus you missed his point about wanting to test his ability to consume gels while running.

It is easy to be hard; it's hard to be smart.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an excerpt from the American College of Sports Medicine Position Statement on Nurition and Exercise:

During exercise, the primary goals for nutrient consumption are to replace fluid losses and provide carbohydrate (30-60 g per hour) for the maintenance of blood glucose levels. These nutrition guidelines are especially important for endurance events lasting longer than one hour, when the athlete has not consumed adequate food or fluid before exercise or if the athlete is exercising in an extreme environment. .....Beverages containing carbohydrate are recommended for intense exercise bouts lasting longer than one hour. Whether or not consuming carbohydrates in events lasting less than an hour is controversial. However,current research supports this practice. (there are about 8 or so references cited after that statemet).

This is the ACSM, the most respected RESEARCH organization in the field of exercise science. ALL of the most well respected researchers in the field of exercise physiology are members. They recommend consuming carbs during exercise bouts as short as an hour.......

But Drok says it is not true.......you decide.

Mike P.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you will find both extremes on the idea of whether or not it is needed but since you desire to consume on a run that length...

i found a single bottle carrier...waist strap...generic brand that i found at a Meijer's here in Michigan. it has two zipper pouches on either side which i can use for gels or gum or keys or whatever.

the other option which i prefer in warmer weather is to is pre-position bottles and gels along a rural route. i have a couple well used ones where i do that and i went with pickup/drop off areas for the bottles at intersections...not on someone's well manicured lawn...and then head back out and pick them up when finished.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch for the help. This all helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimfan

One more thing. Go over and talk to LCDR Simon Bartlett at the Academy. He runs the exercise physiology lab there. He has a PhD in nutrition. He can give you some very good guidance on this issue. Tell him LCDR Prevost sent you.

Mike
Quote Reply

Prev Next