Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Need fuel for long runs
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a means to carry gels/water/gatorade for my long runs. I train for oly distance, so I'll never run more than 90 minutes. In the past I've simply not taken in any fluids or gels but I know that isnt optimal.

I probably don't need a 4x5oz flask fuel belt. I was thinking just one of the single clip-on flasks.

Also, when the gel in the flask starts getting low, is it difficult to suck it out?
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [swimfan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can dilute, or try Hammergel, it's more runny

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbo pro or coca cola...either way you can't go wrong. I've even combined the two but don't try that at home. For the coke put a little water in it and it makes not as fizzy so it holds in your bottles better without fizzing out. I also add a little gatorade to the coke- but that's just me. Both are miracle fluids.

Go long

Spindogg

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incorporate a 7/11 stop with your run. That is unless you are in a remote area, in which case you might want to stash some fuel in bushes in advance of your run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy one of those mesh zippered pockets that are made to slide over your race number belt - you can fit 2 or 3 gels in there. Weighs next to nothing. And try e-gel from www.cranksports.com - best gel on the market.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I bought a Camelbak hydration system they designed for runners. (http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=397) I have been very happy with it. It holds 28 oz which for me is enough for up to three hour runs. Frankly I think with a good sports drink you don't need gels. Either go water and gels or just sports drink...not both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the desoto shorts with pocket(s) - they hold a gel or anything pretty tight against your leg.

Or, get a 4 bottle fuel belt, only use 2 of them for shorter stuff. You can also put a gel flask in the desoto pocket if you like that better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
either pin a pack of gel to your shorts waist band and tuck it in (reply if you're not sure how to do this) or if you mean you want to carry fluid too get a belt with only two bottles. I'm liking the Fuelbelt and the Amphipod belts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it simple; try a bottle carrier that you wear around you waist and you can take the bottle right off your bike and throw it in. Quick easy low maintenance.

Re:camelbak I've used many many times---pain in the ass to fiil and clean and takes too long if your doing a t-run.

Fuel belt with flasks great for racing but I don't like it for training and they're harder to refill. I do my long runs in 8 mile loops (highly recomend this) so I can refill at the end of each 8. I do them as out and backs to custom the mileage. I'll do two 8 mile "loops" and then add a 4 mile real loop. You'll get better quality training if you can stay fueled. Who wants to carry a full camelbak anyway. Just fill your reg bike bottles and use the waist bottle carrier.

Spinney

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had much luck with the bottles that are carried around the waist. Either they jostle around too much or I try to tighten the strap to avoid that and end up with a side stitch from not breathing deep enough. I either do gels in the pocket and plan my route around water fountains, or I use a camelback. I use a 52oz camelback which is small & lightweight. Was very cheap through CampMor.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [ride 'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also hate the waist water belts and camelbaks. For 90% of my runs there is a water fountain within about 2-3 miles spacing. This restricts what I can do, especially because the idiots put in a nice running path but no water fountains...trust the guv't to screw things up I guess. Anyway, I have more or less settled on every 3 miles for a Gu gel, and I can carry two in my inner shorts pocket. This gets me up to 9 or 10 miles total, and it doesn't bother me to carry one in my hand. I sometimes do that in races, since I would use 3 in a HIM. The first one is gone at the first water stop so it's no big deal.

I have been known to occasionally carry a small bike bottle with me running, but that's only on insanely hot days where I know I can't go 3 miles between drinks. Trail running is totally different though, as the only trails around here are total wilderness.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a 90 min run I'll take two bottles in my fuel belt and put a gel in my hat.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuel for a 90 min run??? Why do you feel the need to eat during a 90 minute run? If so when would you gel-it after an hour, do you really think it makes a difference for the next 1/2 an hour. Just mix up a good drink and go, no need for a fuel belt or flasks for a 90 min run IMHO.

Training for my first IM this Spring really opened my eyes on what I dont need for Olys.
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [Drock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most of my training I seldom do just one workout a day (except for the off season) so for anything over 1 hour I normally eat a gel because I don't want to be depleted for the later workout.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For such a short run, you son't really need gels/drinks (unless you live out somewhere really hot, in that case, stash some gel/drink in a bush along the way , before the run). Other than that all these fuel belt people on short runs make me laugh (go to Central Park and you'll see 85% of runners with all that crap just for a 6 mile run or less...)! Stay basic dudes, keep it simple and y'all get along fine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuel belt with the front or back pocket. The 4 bottle one should be enough for 90 minutes although i usually take only 2 because the bottles are small. Maybe one gel just in case....

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Last edited by: ivansie: Oct 13, 05 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Drock - for 90 mins, I don't need any food. I only need GU/Cliff, etc. for 2 -3 hour runs. In the winter, I really don't need any fluid at all for 90 mins if properly hydrated.

A good carbo drink (Gatorade endurance, etc.) should suffice for 90 mins. In the summer, 90 mins needs water - check out InfinIT Nutrition and make your very own "summer blend" and "winter blend"

Quote | Reply
If you never run for more than 90min you don't need fuel.
I don't fuel at all on runs up to 2 hours. Train your body to run on fumes.
Refuel as soon as your done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 4-bottle Fuel Belt on runs of over 5 miles. 2 Gatorades/2 water, and freeze them the night before so they're nice and cold. They thaw in like 10 minutes!
The little pouch on the Fuel Belt would easily fit a couple of gel packs. I have a flask, but don't use it because it's super hard to suck the gel out of.
I also keep a business card in the pocket of the Fuel Belt and write on the back of it that I'm allergic to penicillin in case I keil over or get nailed by a car (insert wood-knocking sound here). Cheaper than those ID badge things.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Oct 13, 05 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with Drock and rroof. For a 90min run, eat a piece of toast, a cookie, a banana, anything beforehand, drink water from fountains or spigots along the way, eat and drink well when you get back and you'll be fine for your next w/o. If it's real hot, take $ to stop for gatorade, or carry a handheld bottle (the kind w/ the hand strap).

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing required for 90min or less. Aim your route near water fountains or suck it up, princess.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can make it fine 90 mins with no water or gel. I have run a marathon with only one gel and a sip of water here or there. The point is the best thing for training is to take in fuel. Gels are easy and that is what I plan on doing. I don't want to simply "make it through" the training runs because I want to train my stomache to process the gel so it will process it during the race. My point was to find out if I should worry about carrying water to wash down the gel. Just need a sip.

Oh, and PS. I go to the Naval Academy. We can't simply drive the course before a run and stash fuel and water. I get out of class, train all afternoon, then hit the books.

So, worry about washing down the gels? I HATE carrying waterbottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drock

You shoud read the research literature. There are performance benefits from consuming carbohydrates on runs even shorter than 90 minutes. It is smart in my opinion.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimfan

Amphipod might be a good choice. It is like a fuel belt but is a reconfigurable, plug and play type of design. You can carry one bottle and a small pouch with a couple of gels or you can carry 8 bottles if you want. Go to amphipod.com. I like mine quite a bit so far. Just make sure you hear the "click" when you snap in your bottles. On the first couple of runs, I dropped a couple of bottles. No problems since though. Consuming carbs during even shorter training runs is a good idea. You don't NEED to but it does aid performance. Check the research literature on that one. Just go to PUMBED and do a search. You've got the right idea.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Need fuel for long runs [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me guess... you read literature from websites that sell gel that say "you need to fuel with XXX product even when you lace up your shoes!"

Yea and I know of a book that says the Egyptian pyramids were made by Space Aliens. :)

come on 90 minutes... its just 90 minutes... might as well bring some crutches, just in case.

Gel just before you start then just drinks during and gel after.
Quote Reply

Prev Next