Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Some help with nutrition please (cycling) [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey gt,

2nd the carbo pro

Isn't Oct supposed to be a down month and then base begins around early to mid Nov for road racing? Not sure when or what you are peaking for, but 17 hours sounds like a ton right now.

Most of the master 123 guys around here (Norcal and there are some damn good ones) are not over 15-20 hours per week and some less. Now when someone like Horner rolls into town to train his rides are insane - like 120+ but that is his job.
Quote Reply
Re: Some help with nutrition please (cycling) [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on what you are training for I suppose

it's all relative
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well it sounds like you know what you are doing - good luck in hitting your goal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've started long training days with a mix of Perpetuem, Sustained Energy, with a 50/50 mix of water and OJ. Two scoops of each + the OJ and a banana give you around a 600 calorie breakfast that is quick to assimilate. The mix of the two plus the OJ makes it more tastey. The banana also give you a small amount of solid food. This is my pre-ride breakfast. All prepared the night before so no time is wasted in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300-350 cals an hour while on the bike... studies show that the body does not uptake CHO any faster than 1.2-1.4 g/hr. Anymore and your just plugging yourself up and not allowing for gastric emptying. When done with these rides spike your blood sugar with Endurox or something similar and then within the hour sit down to a good solid high quality (limited sugars) CHO meal.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Some help with nutrition please (cycling) [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking fish tacos at Fins after the 100+m rides

last ride was 5:25:00 and 2544 Kj

300cal per hour sounds good, I will mostly be eating Cytomax, fig newtons, raisins, Clif or Powerbars, as I will have to carry my food on me for the most part
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary,

What is the correlation between all this aerobic work and a 40K TT? Wouldn't it help more to do weights and speedwork? Not that I'm questioning your coach, but I'd like to know for my own benefit. My limiter, from what I can tell at Fiesta, is just peak pedaling power. Meaning I can't really push those big gears like one Mr. Coulson.
Quote Reply
Re: Some help with nutrition please (cycling) [UCSD racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know, I just don't know the answer, I just do the workouts

all I know is this is the program that he uses, and he sent his riders on to win 120 National Championships, and set 40 US cycling Records, as well as the Olympics and Tour de France, etc.

the cool thing is all my rides are coached, it does not get any more personal than that

;)

you join a club yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
technically no, tentatively yes. I'm at home in SF (after graduating, meaning I should probably change my SN) looking for a job/career, so I'm not actually signed up with anyone for '06, but I've been riding with a local club after doing some guest riding for them this summer.

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2544kj... is that how much you ate during that 5 hr ride? That is too much.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply

Prev Next