Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [triathlt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daren - good luck at Ironman FL - I wish I could go to cheer all the BD crew on - having you all out there on the run made it a lot better than it could have been!

Thanks for helping with a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [runhappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Linda from Setup said no finishers shirts. It was either police or shirts, and they figured safety over cotton.

I worked tech support the last two years and raced (or something like that) on Saturday. It was nice to sleep in my own bed before and after and would enter again.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [Jim Mewkill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That statement confuses me a little bit. The website under FAQ states there will be finisher's shirt. They must have known going into the race the costs of shirts and police (having done this for the last 3 years) and budgeted accordingly.

I agree with safety over cotton, but it shouldn't come down to that. I personally was really looking foward to a finishers shirt and I would have paid money for one. They should have at least made that an option.

To not make any anouncement at the meetings or website is bull... If that is the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'd be a bummer if this race isn't here next year, as that's the race I wanted to do as my first IM distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That statement confuses me a little bit. The website under FAQ states there will be finisher's shirt. They must have known going into the race the costs of shirts and police (having done this for the last 3 years) and budgeted accordingly.

I agree with safety over cotton, but it shouldn't come down to that. I personally was really looking foward to a finishers shirt and I would have paid money for one. They should have at least made that an option.

To not make any anouncement at the meetings or website is bull... If that is the case.

leebee
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the Blue Devil Fe Distance to continue we need to show support! I did the race in 2004 and I'll do it again in 2006. That's one! Lets show our support for this race -- how many will commit?

Check out this summary of the budget cuts and the future plans...

http://www.set-upinc.com/dukebluedevil/
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand how people feel about "Finisher" shirts, but after a few finisher shirts of my own I have come to view them thusly - did I ever expect NOT to finish? With that mindset, I don't wear my finisher shirts at all, even those for tough races - my first 1/2iron (the first Timberman, '01) and IMLP '04. To wear a finisher shirt is, to my mind, the same thing as saying "WHEW! I made it through that one even though I never figured I could or would!" For my money, I would just rather have another "generic" shirt from the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [leebee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I agree with safety over cotton, but it s houldn't come down to that. I personally was really looking foward to a finishers shirt and I would have paid money for one. They should have at least made that an option.

To not make any anouncement at the meetings or website is bull... If that is the case. bill asked the race organizers to find ways to reduce costs when we discovered that we had lower numbers of participants. for the ta, we reduced portapotties, lights, and tent size. bill indicated that he would let athletes know. if he didn't, it was an oversight.

leebee
Last edited by: leebee: Oct 12, 05 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [leebee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob sent me a letter after the race explaining the declining participant numbers and how the race needs 200 people to break even. So I guess it is understandable about the shirts. They still did a great job.

Maybe next time they can have them available for purchase or an ability to order them.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [triathlt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I remember our conversation very well. That was a long, long day. I didn't finish last, but I was close! Small races can be a bit of a double-edged sword. A small field makes for a cozier, friendlier race. But if you have a slow day, you'll finish closer to last than you would in a bigger one. I struggled mightily on the run course. I just wasn't prepared for that marathon. That being said, I did have fun, and chatting with the volunteers really helped. The volunteers were great, and they were out there all day long, rain or shine. That meant a lot. Duke is a good race, well run and well supported.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Duke crew at Florida. I'll be out on the course taking photos. So let me know your bib number and I'll snap some pictures and, of course, cheer y'all along during the race.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope this race will continue!!!! Maybe advertising would help somewhat? I am not sure many people know about the race. Not many people down here in Miami seemed to have heard of it.

I saw an ad in Triathlete magazine, then remembered a friend had talked about some IM in NC he did a while back. But other than that, it seems people don't know about the race. I am sure there are people looking for a late season IM distance race, maybe just getting the word out would help some? I realize this may be costly but this is SUCH A GREAT RACE, it would be such a shame if it wouldn't last!!

You could maybe send flyers to people in different locations for them to distribute at their local races and tri shops. I'd gladly put out flyers down here in Miami. Maybe things like that would help getting the word out...? It would be worth a try!

I much preferred the course (even the run..) over the GFT which I've done twice (one half, one full). The Blue Devil would indeed be a fantastic pick for the Ultra Nationals!!! A little diversity from it being in Clermont would be fun, might give Team USA some new faces...

I'd sign up again next year! I am in for IM Wisconsin about a month prior but I'd still sign up for next year's BD if it is on!!

And yes, I was a bit dissappointed about the finisher's shirt and DVD too but all things considered, we got a real nice race t-shirt, a medal, and a REALLY great race. I totally understand they had to cut costs and I just wish they could let the race continue in the years to come!

Great job, race committee and volunteers!!! (you guys made my birthday out there ;) )
Quote Reply

Prev Next