Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Duke Full Iron results link here..
Quote | Reply
Duke Full Iron Distance results are here..

http://www.set-upinc.com/...luedevil/results.asp
Last edited by: KJGrog: Oct 9, 05 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Results are up.

Quote | Reply
All I have to say is that I was unprepared for the non stop rolling hills.

...crushed my legs. That's what I get for doing all my training here in Hampton Va... A.K.A "Flat town U.S.A"

I think my next race will be Panama City...

I had a lot of fun nonetheless. Small race, but everyone involved was top notch.

Virgin-no-more.

Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [paco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the run on the winning male relay and let me tell you that was one tough run course. Hills, hills, hills (x5 loops!). I did this marathon comming off only Olmypic tri training. [Note to self: bank a couple of 20 milers before doing this one again.]

To all, this race is really a gem. Very well organized with over 600 volunteers. My biker team mate liked the course a lot. I highly recommended race.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I remember you. Black shorts, quick stride? You looked fast.

I was at one of the aid stations dressed like a hippy w/ a red hat. Really nice job on a tough course for a marathon. I did the run as a relay last year as my first marathon.

Alicia

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got home to Michigan from the race. Great race it is to bad that this is the last time for the Blue Devil.

I couldn't believe the run course. It must be one of the hardest IM runs out there. Can anybody compare it to some other IMs? I know it is tougher than 5430 and Ultramax were.

Thanks to all volunteers (hippie station and wizard of oz) you made it alot easier than it could have been.

Set up inc did an awesome job, every aid station had whatever you wanted (chicken broth, salt tabs, coke, aspirin, vaseline.)

Sorry to see the Blue Devil Go.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff - did they announce that this would be the last year for the BD? I couldn't make the awards banquet. I think the run course is one of the toughest out there. Just non-stop hills and that one hill on the short out (or rather down) and back isn't even worth trying to run. I have a nagging foot injury and had to drop out after the second lap but enjoyed my day while I was in it...and even afterwards helping out at the Wizard aid station.

Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
last time for the Blue Devil

I am suprised to hear that. SetUp Inc. does such a great job, I guess that not enough $$$ there to continue the race.

I would like to know from someone who has ran the Duke half and the Duke IM, were the runs similar?
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runs for the half and full are about equal in terms of level of difficultly but different in that the half is mostly off road. Neither course is flat. The HIM probably has less hills but one longer, steady climb. The full is just a series of rollers that you do over and over.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look near the bottom of the results, you'll see my name there. I finished, but it wasn't pretty. I had a mechanical on the bike that cost me significant time, but that didn't affect my "run." I was completely unprepared for the run course. I'm from South Georgia, and we don't have hills down here. There were 6 or 7 hills on each loop that those in my area would consider major. That's 30-35 hills in 26.2 miles that gave me trouble. I went through the first half of the marathon in 2:45, which is still very slow but respectable for what my expectations were. However, it took me over 4 hours to do the last half of the marathon. I was just shuffling along over the last loop. It was a stupid hard run course.

I finished in 15:14, firmly last in my AG and nearly last in the whole race. It was my first IM, and will likely be my last. I'm glad I did the race, I'm glad I finished, it was a rewarding experience -- but it was too much of a sufferfest for me to try again. You multiple IM'ers are incredible.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks, I'm sorry to see it go I was hoping to do it next year.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]I am suprised to hear that. SetUp Inc. does such a great job, I guess that not enough $$$ there to continue the race.
[/quote]

Sadly, I think that lack of participants will be the reason that this race doesn't continue. I can't, for the life of me, understand why the IM-branded races sell out in no time. I know that the IM races have some allure because of the Hawaii thing and the "known" quality of the race since its associated with a brand. Heck, I even remember seeing the ad for it in Triathlete.

Well, I hope that this race continues - its right in my backyard and it is cool to have an IM in the state of NC. Oh well...hope that this is just a rumor and the race continues next year.

jsargevt

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [jsargevt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was part of the organization committee and I'm sure we'll have a post-race meeting to go over things and talk about next year. With that said, I think this might have been the last race due to lack of participants. It blows my mind that M-Dot races sell out with 2,000 people in 24 hours and this race, which is very well run, can't get 200 participants. Yes, the run course is hard, but there are a lot of great things about the race and even the run course. If you want the race to continue, find a good group of 250 people to pre-register. That would probably catch Bill Scott's ear and he'd be up for giving it another try.

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adam,

Try your best to get it for next year. I couldn't go this year as my friend decided to have her wedding this past weekend (of all weekends) but I am dying to do this race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is an excellent race, well run and well organized. None of the aid stations ran out of food and drink, which says a lot for the back of the packers like myself. It's a shame that it might not be around next year. It's a great event, and it benefits a good cause.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aliciap, yes that was me in the black shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adam, I've been in the sport a long time and done a number of big time events, including hawaii several times. I know a quality production when I see one. I personally thanked Bill at the awards lunch. I sure hope this race can continue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband was the race official and wrote a glowing report about the race and mentioned that it would be a good pick for the Ultra Distance National Championship. I bet that would increase participation. Not sure why Clermont has a stranglehold on that honor. Bring people to the USAT training center down there, I guess.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first iron distance race so I can not compare to other iron distance - but I thought the race was awesome. I have done the half in Clermont many times and Blue Devil can certainly complare to the GFT. I was dissapointed to see only 150 age groupers but liked the fact that I did not get mobbed on the swim.

The run was hard - about 30 minutes harder than expected but I finished under 12:00:00 and got a 5th place award in my age group too - BONUS!

This race should stay.

Bill Wenner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a great idea. I've heard there are some tough hills in Clermont, but this course would definitely be worthy of a national championship. And if Bill Scott and his team at Set-Up and the volunteers are not the hardest working group in the business, I would like to meet the gang that is. We came down with a relay in '03 and again this year. Mixing and matching our roles, I've gotten to see the whole thing (in fact, this year I ended up with a swim leg/bike leg/and 10.5 mile run leg due to a late drop out from our team), and you will definitely get your money's worth. For a race this size, the amenities have stayed pretty near top-shelf and there has been absolutely no scrimping on the support.

If this was its swan song year, that will be a shame. But at least those who got to participate in one of the 4 editions will know how truly great a race this one was.

Stan
Attend the Tucson Tri Camp/Retreat
http://tri4christ.blogspot.com
Run in such a way as to get the prize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David,

Great again to meet you guys over the weekend. You have quite a crew up there in Northern VA.

After 4 years of this race now being in NC, I am ashamed that I took until this year to make the 90 minute trip over to either race or volunteer for this race. These guys deserve a bigger field. Very well thought out and planned race; great (and certainly challenging) course; great volunteer support; and a wonderful cause.

I know there's a potential conflict for many with some destination race out there in the middle of the Pacific around this time of year, but the Blue Devil will not disappoint. One way or another, I'll be back (if given the oppt'y). This should not be interpretted as a slam on any competing organization, but this is one race where you don't just feel like a number.

My interpretation of comments made at the brunch were that there may be at least one more race. I hope that is the case.

Regards,

KD
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [KDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race Keith D! Thanks for attracting the dogs away from me with your slick new P3C ; ) I was on the P3 team with you during the first loop and it was nice to have some company (before you took off!).

I've done the BD every year now and even though I had an injury and knew I probably wouldn't be able to finish, I couldn't keep myself from signing up again. It's top-notch in terms of race organization, a great course, and great volunteers and spectators. Yeah, it's in my backyard and that's a plus, but what keeps me coming back is the intangible something feel-good quality about it. It's an event that lets us combine our passion for triathlon with the greater good of supporting research to find a cure for cancer. I don't have cancer but it has touched my family and probably most families in one way or another. It feels good to race and know that you are contributing in a way that means a lot to you to something that is good. I just don't get the same feeling when finishing an official M-dot race (i've done 5 of those).

I truly hope it returns next year but I realize they need to boost participation. It's been falling off a bit more every year which is sad. I guess they'll need to brainstorm and come up with some large-scale changes (eg, moving the date, tying to ultra-dist championship, etc.) to keep it going.

Keith W
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results? [runhappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice Job out there Bill. I finished just behind you in the age group with a 12:10.

They had a special on North Carolina Local TV about the race and that is where I heard that this was the last year. I would love to have another go at this race.

Did they give out the finishers shirt at the awards? If so di d they mention they would mail the shirts to the people who couldn't attend??? (Thats me)
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Full Iron results link here.. [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert:

We spoke briefly on the course Saturday night - you were on your last run lap and I was directing vehicle traffic near the main park entrance at the run turn-around. Congratulations on crossing the Iron finish line! I know that you worked hard on a hard course. Now it's time to relax a bit and enjoy life for a while.

I recall you mentioned that you will be at IMFL in a media capacity. Several of us on the BD Race Committee will be racing at Florida - we'll look for the guy wearing the BD shirt.

And yes - we'll probably need your cheering out there on the bike and run courses at Florida. You see...we locals in central NC are used to hills where we work-recover-work-recover...and we feel intimidated by flat courses with no recovery and the dreaded wind!

Daren

Daren Marceau
USAT & USAC Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff - thanks, tough day that is for sure.

No finisher shirts at the awards brunch - I am going to e-mail to ask them about the shirts - I did hear that there were no going to be any DVDs - the deal did not come through.

Good luck in your next race!

Bill
Quote Reply

Prev Next