Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to TH's website and even USADA, there isn't a test for chrimerism.

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nothing to do with Payton, but various forms of cancers have been linked to steroids, EPO is linked to heart failure.

Styrrell

Lyle Alzado ... Need we say more???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again this is from a tyler interview, but the test showed he had the equivalent of a tablespoon of "foreign" blood mixed with his, which in any case would hardly be a benefit.

Do you think he had a fresh transfusion right before the test?

his doctors surmised that up to 50% of the population could have blood abnormalities at this level.

Again no other riders tested positive! that 50% number is bullshit.

If it did I tend to say let the dude ride, its not like traces of steroids or EPO where having taken it in the past still helps you

Um, blood doping is just like taking EPO, and taking it in the past can help you train harder.

For some reason (YET TO BE EXPLAINED), someone decided to re-evaluate TH's A sample AFTER it had been deemed negative

Don't know why, but Tyler isn't banned based on his Oympic test results.

People keep forgetting that the test was only run on (or at least the only published paper on the test) a sample of 25 people

There was a second validation study as well - I dont know how many other people were tested in that one.

TH's main defense is that the test isn't perfect.

Tyler and his supporters like to make general statements like that, but usually dont back it up with specific complaints about the test itself.

People and the media are just focusing on the Chimerism possibility

People focus on it because Tyler is making public statements that not only could he be a chimera, he could be a "Waxing and waning" chimera which would explain why he sometimes has foreign blood, and then later didnt. (Of course the simple exlpanation that he transfused and then stopped doing it after he got caught isn't possible, right?)

I can't explain why two teammates tested positive. The crazier thing is how come no one else has tested positive? Is it possible that TH and Perez were THE ONLY two in the peleton doping this way? Highly unlikely IMO. And as for Perez, if he was doping during the Vuelta last year, he would have been caught then, not two months after the race

I can't believe you're interpreting the facts this way. The reasonable interpretation is that since only Tyler and Perez got nailed, this test insn't rife with false positives like Tyler is claiming! The test may well have false negatives, but that's irrelevant to Tylers case now, isn't it.

In Reply To:
According to TH's website and even USADA, there isn't a test for chrimerism.

You mean there isn't a ready-made chimerism kit test? No kidding.

To suggest that it couldn't be tested for is naive at best, dishonest at worst (not directed at you personally)

Quote:
Well, it's my opinion. I just find it hard to believe that only the two leaders of Phonak were blood doping in the Peloton.

To add some more spin damage -- Everyone keeps wanted TH to prove why he's innocent, how come WADA/USADA/and UCI aren't going public with their results. Seems to me they could do that and end the case.

I also wonder why the USADA asked for an extension before presenting their case to CAS. I would think if they were 100% sure of the results, they would have been chomping at the bit to present their case to CAS. My thoughts are they aren't 100% sure they will win the appeal that at least they can keep TH out of competion for at least a year.

What's the difference between a false positive and a false negative? Doesn't that mean the athlete is guilty in both cases?

TheBikeRacer.com
Last edited by: mwbyrd: Aug 12, 05 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [Spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You know this to be fact or are you just throwing his name out there."

2+2=4

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [Spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to be wrong, because I knew and respected the man. It's just that when someone that strong and that apparently healthy dies so young...

And if I were his doctor, I'd try to keep his name clean too.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I can't explain why two teammates tested positive. The crazier thing is how come no one else has tested positive? Is it possible that TH and Perez were THE ONLY two in the peleton doping this way? Highly unlikely IMO.[/reply]

A possible explaination:

Hamilton and Perez were both blood doping by storing their own blood, collected durng the off-season, then re-infusing that blood closer to competition to increase performance. (They can't test for this type of doping, yet)

The doctor screwed up and accidentally mixed up the blood and injected Hamilton with Perez's and vice versa (the doctor was fired by the team, right?).

That'd explain why two people from the same team both tested positive. It makes Tyler's claim that he'd never knowingly risk his wife's healthy by taking someone else's blood true and leaves the door open that everyone else is doping too, but their doctors are smart enough to label the blood correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Again this is from a tyler interview, but the test showed he had the equivalent of a tablespoon of "foreign" blood mixed with his, which in any case would hardly be a benefit.

Do you think he had a fresh transfusion right before the test? That's really the only way that blood doping will help your performance. You can't race if your above 50% HC. You can take EPO in the weeks leading up to a competition to get your HC level up and only traces of EPO will be left by testing time. With blood transfusions yes you have to transfuse close to the testing time.

his doctors surmised that up to 50% of the population could have blood abnormalities at this level.

Again no other riders tested positive! that 50% number is bullshit.

Its a damning arguement I'll agree, and the 50% number is likely bullshit. However Dick Pound has admitted that TH was targeted for blood tests. I would love to know how many riders were given the same test and what level of scrutiny those tests had, but WADA isn't saying.
If it did I tend to say let the dude ride, its not like traces of steroids or EPO where having taken it in the past still helps you

Um, blood doping is just like taking EPO, and taking it in the past can help you train harder. See above, EPO and Blood doping aren't exactly the same thing, but they achieve the same result ie 49.99HC. My point is that the test is new and relies on an expert eye to see small differences, hence the original OG test initially being called negative, then being rexamined and being called positive. Under these circumstances I think you have to at least find a significant amount of doping to have occurred. If Tyler is to be believed and in the absence of WADA releasing a different set of data Tyler is guilty of boosting his HC level from 47.00 % to 47.01%. As to higher HC level in training helping you - I've never heard that before. Certainly you could ride faster or longer in training, but that doesn't guarantee that those benefits will be their at the lower HC level. Its possible that the mental aspect of feeling less strong would be detrimental to a good racing performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
/As to higher HC level in training helping you - I've never heard that before. Certainly you could ride faster or longer in training, but that doesn't guarantee that those benefits will be their at the lower HC level. Its possible that the mental aspect of feeling less strong would be detrimental to a good racing performance./

Did you actually read what you wrote before you hit the send button?? So I dope all year, train my ass off, build more strenght, more endurance, recover better, and then when I stop, let's say a month or two out, I probably get no benifit...Come on now, and a detrimental mental attitude to boot. I think if I'm training faster, longer, and with more recovery, that I'll have a pretty good attitude going into a race... That's why I train up here in the mountains, like so many before me, to get the legal and safe advantage of a high HC%. And no, EPO is not blood doping, they just do the same thing......And by the way, once your HC% is built up, it can last up to two months.
Last edited by: monty: Aug 12, 05 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
/As to higher HC level in training helping you - I've never heard that before. Certainly you could ride faster or longer in training, but that doesn't guarantee that those benefits will be their at the lower HC level. Its possible that the mental aspect of feeling less strong would be detrimental to a good racing performance./

Did you actually read what you wrote before you hit the send button?? So I dope all year, train my ass off, build more strenght, more endurance, recover better, and then when I stop, let's say a month or two out, I probably get no benifit...Come on now, and a detrimental mental attitude to boot. I think if I'm training faster, longer, and with more recovery, that I'll have a pretty good attitude going into a race... That's why I train up here in the mountains, like so many before me, to get the legal and safe advantage of a high HC%. And no, EPO is not blood doping, they just do the same thing......And by the way, once your HC% is built up, it can last up to two months.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really the only way that blood doping will help your performance. You can't race if your above 50% HC. You can take EPO in the weeks leading up to a competition to get your HC level up and only traces of EPO will be left by testing time. With blood transfusions yes you have to transfuse close to the testing time.

You can blood dope so that you can train harder...

However Dick Pound has admitted that TH was targeted for blood tests. I would love to know how many riders were given the same test and what level of scrutiny those tests had, but WADA isn't saying.

Can you point me to where he said this?

In Reply To:

However Dick Pound has admitted that TH was targeted for blood tests. I would love to know how many riders were given the same test and what level of scrutiny those tests had, but WADA isn't saying.

Can you point me to where he said this?

Directly form the arbitration award on page 2.

"On September 11, 2004, at the Vuelta, cycling competition, Mr. Hamilton was targeted for testing at the request of the UCI." It may not have been Dick Pound who did the targeting, but they were specifically looking to test Tyler.

http://www.usantidoping.org/...n%20-%20Hamilton.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler's suspension compared to Palmeiro's in Sp-Ill: [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's really the only way that blood doping will help your performance. You can't race if your above 50% HC. You can take EPO in the weeks leading up to a competition to get your HC level up and only traces of EPO will be left by testing time. With blood transfusions yes you have to transfuse close to the testing time.

You can blood dope so that you can train harder... Monty brought this up also. You can certainly train faster, and its possible that their will be some bennefit, but no one has shown that training at say 50%HC then racing at 42%HC is bstter than training and racing at 42%HC.

Can you point me to where he said this? I can't. I distinctly remember it and I suspect it may have been in his Velonews article, but I'm not sure. He said that Tylers tests in the past had shown irregularities, which weren't enough to suspend him but were enough for them to target him for additional and new tests. He also mentioned Kevin Livingston as a rider they were suspicious of, due to lower HC levels out of competition than in competitions. Styrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next