Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Runner Types: Riddle me this . . . [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like this:
1. "Your body will naturally select the correct stride, with enough running".

40-60mpw for a couple of years will always do it. For triathletes who want a shortcut, option 2 applies.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Runner Types: Riddle me this . . . [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. My preaching changes for everyone. Come, hear my sermon when you get back. We'll see if we can get you to finish a bit higher than 9th OV at Duathlon Nationals. Although if you get any faster, then the best I can do is one spot behind you.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 12, 05 17:54
Quote Reply
Re: Runner Types: Riddle me this . . . [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two drills to help you out:

1 Run uphill. This will help your footstrike, and put overstriding out of your mind after a short time. Concentrate on landing midfoot, use short quick steps, this isn't a race to the top, it is a drill so do it accordingly

2. Think of the football players that run in place as fast as they can, now do the same thing except move SLIGHTLY forward, again focusing on good form, midfoot landing, soft quick touchdown. Get your feet off the ground as fast as possible, also make sure your feet are landing under your hips.

This isn't going to make a great runner right away, the hills might actually, but it definitely will help your form and turnover. Think light when you run.

Go Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Runner Types: Riddle me this . . . [ajm44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually do try to incorporate those types of drills into my runs. I think the problem for me is that with size 14 feet, the actual distance I cover with a higher cadence is sooo small it is beyond ridiculous. The heel of one foot barely passes the toe of the other. Nevertheless, I endevor to persever.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner Types: Riddle me this . . . [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAC

Does an 84 SPM then make me a bad person? (Reminds me of my rowing coach's "Do my erg scores make me a better person?" talk)

Oh, and what are some good things to think about or drills for overpronation/slight heelstrike?

Heelstrike goes away as speed increases, and seems to be shoe dependent too.

Pronation increases on downhill, pretty much disappears on uphills.

Thanks,

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Last edited by: DHeineck: Aug 12, 05 23:16
Quote Reply
Re: Runner Types: Riddle me this . . . [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
84 definitely makes you a bad person :-) Have you tried higher stride frequencies?

I'm not much into drills for running, I prefer that my athletes practice the basic principles of running technique during each and every run.

If you focus on stride frequency, support time and point of impact, the pronounced heel strike will disapear on its own. As for pronation, it will be there always, but less heel striking will diminuish it.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight, I'll make note of those variables while I run. I'm pretty sure over these last 5 or so weeks that I've probably increased 6 SPM by just running, so I guess I'll continue the forward trend. Fleck is certainly right though, exclusively training for one of the 3 events makes a marked improvement in economy in that sport.

Thanks,

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Runner Types: Riddle me this . . . [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or like I sometimes say... amazing what a little more of the right kind of training can do ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll buy that.

Daniel

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply

Prev Next