Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [lajollaseal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...I have a 19 mile run in the AM...and will wear his number :-( I will for once feel like I train like a pro.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good post.

I am sorry for the young man's death. It's tragic.

I think one thing cyclists can do is opt for lower-traffic roads ... even if it means driving a bit to get to them.

The other day I was driving with my kids, right around noon, and saw 2 cyclist (rare for my area) on a high traffic road.

Cyclist #1, riding in aero position on the side of the road (2-lanes, one way), weaving around parked cars without looking to his left to see if any cars were approaching his rear. There was. A van was driving behind him slowly ... seemingly trying to figure out if the cyclist was going to stay over and weave in front of them. I was on the left of the van, passed the van, the van changed lanes, and passed the cyclist.

Cyclist #2, riding on a 4-lane high-traffic road, during the lunch rush hour. There are restaurants lining this road for blocks and blocks. So, not only are there numerous stop lights, but also driveways, non-lighted intersections, and a ton of cars ... all in a rush to get their food, and get back to work. I had ridden this road once before (on the way home ... I was out of fluids and took a 'short' cut). My head was on a swivel at all times. There was very little, if any, shoulder, and the sidewalks were filled with folks walking to restaurants, walking their dogs, etc. Each intersection forced me to look [1] if anyone was pulling out, [2] if anyone was pulling in (approaching behind me), or [3] if anyone was pulling in (from in front of me across two lanes of traffic). I don't see how anyone could *enjoy* a ride on this street.

Both of these situations just seemed like an accident waiting to happen. What's strange to me, is that each cyclist could have gotten to wherever they were going on a much less traffic road, by simply riding on a parallel street a block over. Why ride on the main road, with little tono shoulder, with the most traffic, and during the busiest time of the day?

I am looking at this, not just from a safety issue, but also from an enjoyment issue. I am hoping that the cyclists were new, and after their ride they said to themselves, "I've got to find a new route". because really, one day a driver will have a choice, [1] slam on the brakes to avoid the cyclist (that wasn't in the crosswalk before, but is now), or [2] remain in traffic with 2 lanes of cars approaching. The cyclist is going to lose that scenario.

I realize the easiest remedy is just for "drivers to be patient and attentive with cyclist" ... but that is completely out of the cyclist's control. Finding a new route or riding time (or indoor trainer) is something the cyclist can control ... even though it may not be the cyclist's #1 preference.

Whatever the case may be, please stay safe everyone. Like another poster accurately pointed out ... there seem to be one of these reports every week now. Mike C also pointed out reasons why. The crowding and high-traffic, isn't going to change. It seems that cyclists are going to have to change for their own safety and enjoyment. Something to consider.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you - but at the end of the day as a cyclist I have a right to take a lane in any road that I choose (other than a toll road, or interstate highway in my home state). From there is it about being visible...the blame is on the car that did not notice a bike (and would not have noticed a kid chasing a ball, nun in the cross walk or your dog who strayed into the road). Drivers need to pay more attention.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the very least, ride with your insurance card. I found that keeping my cell phone, credit and insurance cards, cash, keys and anything else I'd like to keep dry and un-lost in a small zip-lock baggy. Just jam it in your jersey pocket - which minimizes the risk of losing a single item as you're more likely to notice dropping the entire baggy.

As for bicycle safety, I've learned that it's sometimes better to get in your car - drive away from urban areas - and then ride. Incovenient and ecologically unfriendly....but unfortunately, sometimes very necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"at the end of the day as a cyclist I have a right to take a lane in any road that I choose"

Better check your state's laws on that. Cyclists don't have the same right of way as motorists do in some places, so assuming you can choose a lane on any road you want is dangerous.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how the Rules of the Road work:

He (or she) who is driving the vehicle with the most Mass has the right of way.

That or SPLAT.

P.S. sorry that guy died, tragic. That's why I ride indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you - but at the end of the day as a cyclist I have a right to take a lane in any road that I choose (other than a toll road, or interstate highway in my home state).

We do have the right to choose whatever lane we want on roads that permitt bikes. Having the right to do something, and having that something be safe are two different things.

From there is it about being visible...the blame is on the car that did not notice a bike (and would not have noticed a kid chasing a ball, nun in the cross walk or your dog who strayed into the road).

I agree. I wear loud light green shirts, orange shirts, red shirts, wave to everyone, etc ... but if a drvier drops his Sprite and takes his eye of the road fumbling for it ... there's not much I can do. I'd rather take the odds of riding in places where there are less drivers.

Drivers need to pay more attention.

Granted ... and I say that all of the time. But, there's nothing a cyclist can do to enforce that. I'm not sure I am willing to risk my life by assuming that 100% of the drivers are paying attention. I'm getting ready to go on a 4 hour ride. I'll likely see 10 cars today. I'd rather play those odds.

THere are lots of things a variety of people can do to increase safety. I was looking at it from the viewpoint of "what can a cyclist control to increase his/her own safety". It's been my experience that getting other people to change their priority is difficult. So, IMO, if cyclists want to be safer, they are going to need to change what they do. As someone pointed out early ... people "multi-tasking" while they are driving is not going to change. That's the world in which we live.

It's disheartening to keep reading about people dying from bike-car accidents.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really hit the nail on the head with everything you said!!! It really is true that while riding in some of these cars you get no sense of how fast you are going. It really is a big problem
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [WHY86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just awful and very, very sad...I am so frightened sometimes out there during my training rides because of stories like these...it's tragic!!! So sad for the families of this person!!

http://ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but at the end of the day as a cyclist I have a right to take a lane in any road that I choose; Drivers need to pay more attention."

Record, in principle I agree with you...but principles won't do, and don't do, us much good when it's bicycle versus motor vehicle. It's imperative for riders to pretend we're invisible, to not assume driver "x" is going to make "y" move. Assume the driver is a complete idiot and is completing his or her first solo drive....that's pretty much how I treat traffic. It's my responsibility to stay upright and out of harm's way, or to make judgment calls along the way when it's necessary to push the envelope for some reason.

Putting the responsibility on the driver is of course the right thing to do from a legal and moral perspective...but I'd rather not take that chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Putting the responsibility on the driver is of course the right thing to do from a legal and moral perspective...but I'd rather not take that chance."

Yeah. I'd rather acknowledge reality and be careful than argue about my rights from the back of an ambulance.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next