Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca
Quote | Reply
Below is an e-mail from one of our club members (Inland Inferno). I will post more details when they are available.

Gary Mc

With sadness, I learned that a 27 y/o triathlete male was killed on Barton rd / Hillcrest in Loma Linda. Out of respect, his name will not be disclosed until it is formally announced. He was found crashed with his bike around 10:30 am today. The detail is limited and the cause is being investigated.

I went to the scene at around 1:30 pm while the S.B. Sheriff Department was investigating. The broken bike, helmet and water bottle were still at the crashed site. The familiar tube from the aerobottle in the mid of puddle of liquid suggesting a possible triathlete was involved. This evening I met two other bikers at the site who were there trying to figure out what could have
happened. I was informed that he was a triathlete from Colton and was preparing for Lake Arrowhead Triathlon.

It is a tragic event for all, especially his family and loved ones. It is sad and I know we all in the triathlete family feel the same.

Ben Vassantachart

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are more details from the local paper.

Cyclist dies in suspected hit-and-run

Colton man found on Barton Road was training for a triathlon

By C.L. LOPEZ
Staff Writer

LOMA LINDA A Tuesday morning bike ride turned tragic for a Colton man who was killed while training for a triathlon along Barton Road.

Alejandro Campos Gonzalez, 28, an emergency room and intensive care unit nurse from Community Hospital of San Bernardino, died from massive head injuries stemming from a suspected hit and run.

Investigators believe Gonzalez was riding his bicycle eastbound on Barton Road at Hillcrest Street when he was struck by an eastbound vehicle that fled.

A passing motorist saw Gonzalez lying in the street and alerted Loma Linda University security, who then called the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department at 10:27 a.m., said the department's public information officer, Robin Haynal.

Gonzalez, who was wearing full bike gear, including a helmet, still suffered massive head injuries. He was taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center where he was died at 10:50 a.m.

A helmet and a mangled bicycle that lay along Barton Road offered investigators the only clues to his identity. He did not have a wallet or any other identification, said Randy Emon, supervising deputy coroner and public information officer.

Jim Baden, who owns Cycletek, a Loma Linda bicycle shop, said a detective called him around 2 p.m. Tuesday when Gonzalez's bicycle was traced back to his store. Though it was a relief to help detectives identify the then unknown dead man, Baden said there was a shocking realism that came with it being someone he knew, he said.

"It was an unbelievable tragedy," he said. "He (Gonzalez) was a good guy, friendly, outgoing and energetic."

Baden met Gonzalez a few months ago, when he sold him the bicycle. He said Gonzalez normally biked alone while training for a triathlon coming up in Lake Arrowhead in a few weeks, he said.

Gonzalez trained for triathlons often and was very well liked, said Tobey Robertson, the hospital's director of marketing.

"He was very popular and had a great sense of humor," she said. "We are all touched my this. It is so heartbreaking and sad we lost someone who was so caring and concerned in this way."

Tamre Delvalle, a former classmate, coworker and friend of Gonzalez, remembered her friend with laughter and tears.

"In one statement, he could make you laugh, cry and get upset and he would always leave you laughing," she said.

Gonzalez was engaged to be married next year. His fiance worked in the hospital's engineering department.

But instead of his wedding, his friends were left planning a memorial.

Hours after he helped identify him, Baden visited the scene of the accident.

His death highlighted the risk cyclists face each day.

Dozens of cyclists ride along Barton Road daily and the area is a major thoroughfare for cycling enthusiasts, Baden said.

"A cyclist on the road is always at a disadvantage," he said. "Drivers consider you to be an annoyance to them."

People don't realize how fast cyclists are going and sometimes think they can make it to intersections to make their turns faster than the cyclists, he said.

Baden said that Gonzalez, who lived off of Washington Street, had no reason to turn onto Hillcrest and would have continued along Barton Road. And given he was three or four miles from home, he was likely "still fresh" at the time of the accident.

Baden said he believes a car was involved in the accident that killed Gonzalez, causing him to hit the curb and lose control of his bicycle.

Perry Burton, a cyclist, visited the crash site with Baden. Close calls, especially at intersections, are not uncommon and sometimes drivers don't signal they are going to turn, he said.

"If a car doesn't see you (on your bicycle) and turns inward, they clip you and you get spun around," he said.

If that was the case with Gonzalez, his bike would have been spun around and he would likely have landed face down.

Most cyclists avoid riding next to the curb because there tends to be rocks or other debris and they prefer to ride on the left side of the bike lane, Burton said.

But bike lanes do not guarantee cyclists' safety.

As Burton stood with his bicycle in the bike lane feet away from where Gonzalez was found, a driver in a minivan made a right turn onto Hillcrest, cut across the bike lane and narrowly missed hitting him.

Burton, like Gonzalez, said he doesn't ride with a wallet or any other identification. When he rides his bike, his wallet gets full of sweat, he said. But now he says he will wear identification in the future and has ordered a tag with his name.

Anyone who was in the area at the time of the accident is asked to call Detective Gary Smith or Sgt. Michael Newcombe at (909) 387-3545.

E-mail Staff Writer C.L. Lopez at clopez@redlandsdailyfacts.com

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these tragedies are becoming all too common. seems like there's a new report of a killed cyclist on here every week. very sad situation.

i truly don't know what the solution is. not one that's realistic anyway.

________

70.3 is the cousin to OD........ Ironman has no relatives! -Simon Lessing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, that's so sad. really hate to hear this.

too many of these stories for me to take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of the reasons why I have gone back to riding my computrainer. What good is it being in shape if I am six feet under. I know my wife is much happier that I am on the road less!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand why you would want to be on the road less. It is sad that cyclists are relegated to the garage? We need to rid the roads of the killing machines!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's getting rougher and rougher out there. More people crammed into small plots of land as urban areas spill over into what was heretofore very rural land, roads too small to handle the massive increase in traffic as people look for back roads as a way to avoid gridlock on the freeways. People multitasking---driving while talking on the cell phone while eating a donut and scolding the kids in the back seat. Less attention paid to the fact that they are in command of a multi-ton vehicle traveling at speeds that are imperceptible in the closed off coccoons we now have in our cars.

No real solution...except for "bike only" roads. That would be cool, but would never, ever happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spent my entire ride this morning ultra-paranoid. Any car that got near me, I could feel my HR going up. This is my first season, and I've read too many scary stories!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are of course precautions you can take, though nothing is 100% fool proof. Obviously, know the road you're on, its traffic patterns, the blind spots, etc. The narrower the lane, the more to the left I'll ride so drivers cannot think (presuming they're paying attentino) they can squeeze by without having to cross the middle line. But I also try to avoid those kinds of roads whenever possible, except for the lightest of trafficked ones.

Do your best to ride early, early, early. Weekday rides are problematic and I'll do most of that riding indoors unless I can get to a relatively remote area to ride outdoors. Long rides are early Saturday or Sunday morning, minimal traffic on most any road you can think of but still make sure to take the precautions described above.

But don't ride scared, though it is hard not to. Ride smart and confident, pay attention, remembering you are part of the traffic flow. Anticipate problems when you can, never ever wear headphones or anything else that will obstruct your hearing and in the back of your mind think of a bailout plan if need be.

There are probably more fatalities in car crashes nationwide on a daily basis than there are bicycle fatalities in a year, so the odds of something really bad happening are truly slim when you think of it. Just be smart about what you do, when you do it and where you do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unbelievable. Makes we want the price of gas to end up near the price of cigarettes.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike! I'm generally a fairly cautious person as it is (despite making a living during the 90's as a pro bodyboarder, a somewhat dangerous profession). I try to anticipate potential problems before they happen, and do virtually all of my cycling before 7am, except Sunday's long ride, but that is on mostly quiet roads on a Marine Base.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forget the most important:

ADHERE TO THE RULES OF THE ROAD

On my rides more than 30% of "roadies" I see commit major infractions. No signaling, running red lights, disrespecting crosswalks and stop signs.

How do you think this sits with a motorist?

It is not o.k. and sooner or later they will take their right of way or "teach you a lesson".

I have an advice for those guys who do not want to obey to those rules of society: Get a computrainer and stay in your basement/garage!

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got pancaked in '99, a few weeks before IMH, by a taxi van driver out here in Honolulu who thought he could make the right turn at an intersection before I could get there. Classic bike-meets-side-of-the-van story. Broken collarbone, broken wrist, dislocated kneecap and an assortment of other breaks, scrapes, contusions, abrasions...you name it.

I was all the way over to the right in the bike lane, but I was in my aerobars and was distracted for just a millisecond (it seemed like), and didn't see him speed up to get ahead of me to make a hard right turn. That's all it took.

I ride nowadays as if every vehicle is out to get me. And I spend a ton more time on a stationary trainer or my Computrainer. A real shame, but necessary nowadays out here. We've got all the symptoms of a major urban area that had no master traffic plan and way too many cars. And that's even more of a shame. Also, I ride more on the military bases. Much less traffic and a lot slower (and enforced) speeds, though riding the same 12 or 20 mile loop, over and over, can get monotonous.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice there, Mike. All of my riding is in moderate-heavy traffic (most with a bike lane) and I ride confidently and obey every traffic rule that I can (there are a couple of lights I'll run because they don't detect a bicycle...but I stop first).

Any time a car passes me, I think of it making a sudden right turn. I check over my left to make sure there are no cars before changing lanes (and if there's a car, I make eye contact/signal or do whatever until I know that they know what I'm planning to do, then I do it). I anticipate traffic problems (like having to move across to the left-turn lane on a 6-lane road).

I like to think that most cars see me acting like a safe, predictable vehicle in traffic and move around me when it's safe for them to do so. I'll always get the occasional jackass who has his own opinion as to where I should ride my bike, and that used to get my blood boiling (and it still does occasionally), but now I see traffic as the boulders, the road is the stream, and I'm just the water that finds the path of least resistance around them. All is well. All is calm.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any time a car passes me, I think of it making a sudden right turn.

That's easy...it seems most of the drivers I come across will accelerate by you to then suddenly make a right turn, oblivious now to you presence...though they had to think about you to make that acceleration to get by you. Never understood that one.

But you are correct---presume that you're invisible to drivers and do what you can to become anything but. Eye contact, note the body language of the driver (and even the car---you can almost always tell when a car is going to change lanes before it actually does) and don't ever expect a turn signal. That way you won't be disappointed!

I like your "calm" analogy...I'll have to remember that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a new one today though. Coming up on a car in a 30mph zone, car moved to the right and slowed down like it was going to park on the side of the road. I moved left to pass it (it's rolling at about maybe 5mph, I'm doing about 15), and then it whips to the left (apparently to turn into a business's drive way). I locked up the brakes and skidded to a stop just as he looked left and saw me.

No collision, I ended up doing a track stand while his car is turned 90 degrees in the road. He just looks at me like "whoa, I totally didn't see you" and then moves along, I move along, no harm, no foul. I guess it was too early for me to be mad, because I didn't think twice about it. This was at about 5:45am this morning. It was still dark, I was riding with a cateye opticube light (bright enough to be seen, not bright enough to ride fast down a totally dark street).

Be careful out there folks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago, I was riding to work in a bike lane, sort of lost in my own world. Suddenly a truck accelerated around me, swerved in front of me (into the bike lane) and slammed on his brakes. I almost hit him, but luckily was able to stop just in time. He stuck his head out of the window and yelled, 'get off the road, bitch'. I ignored him, started pedaling off, slightly scared. Lucky for me, a cop on a motorcycle was a block down the road and saw the entire event play out. He stopped to make sure I was alright then sped of down the road. When I caught up to them, the guy was getting a ticket. He flipped me off as I rode by with a smile on my face. . . I always wish there was a cop around to see those unnecessary acts of anger - it does not happen enough! I sure needed it this weekend when an impatient lady practically ran my husband and me off the road!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [trydog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a dream come true. Not the nearly-getting-killed part but the ha-ha-there's-a-cop-right-there part.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [trydog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a "cyclist" killed here in Austin this morning. I don't believe they guy was on a training ride since it was 3am but the person who hit him drove off. Eventually the guy call the cops. Alcohol was thougth to play a part in the accident. Really? <<sarcasm>>

Ya'll be careful
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit. I'm in Austin (commute from East-Central to Round Rock) and I didn't hear about that yet.

Speaking of scenarios to watch out for, here's another one that's happened twice that others might want to consider: Two-lane road, double-yellow line, I'm cruising and signal that I'm going to turn left, I move from the bike lane and hug the yellow line, truck behind me decides that it's taking too long for me to get to the street where I'll turn left and floors it past me. I came really close to turning left into him (had *just* started to bank into my left turn). Lesson learned: check again before making that turn.

Fuck stupid drivers.

Here's a thought I've had for a while. Would it be legal/ethical to start a blog that would function as a repository for drivers that have harrassed cyclists? I've been harassed (swerved at, had shit thrown at me, etc) and have called the cops each time and haven't heard back from them. I *think* in Texas you can pay a yearly fee and find the mailing address of someone by their liscense plate number. Might be nice to mail them a nice little "please stop being an asshole" letter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is one started by a guy that got hit in Austin. Damn I can't find it right now but it has all the accidents and police responses to accidents here in Austin.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Killed in Loma Linda, Ca [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would that be Michael Bluejay's site? If so, I don't think it's been updated in a while (and since he's a nudist, my company blocks his site so I can't find the link either).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found it http://bicycleaustin.info/justice/

I guess it is that guys site.
Last edited by: ATX TRIHEAD: Aug 11, 05 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like they may have caught this SOB...

this is from our club email list...

"Requiescent in pace...
>
> Dear *ALCATRI XXV TRIATHLON* participant,
>
> We received the tragic news that one of your fellow triathletes registered
> to participate in Sunday's *AlcaTRI Escape From the Rock Triathlon*,
> 28-year-old Alex Campos Gonzales, was killed Tuesday while on a training
> ride in Loma Linda, CA. An article from a local paper has been included
> below. Since that article was printed, we have learned that the driver of a
> Salvation Army truck is in police custody in relation to Alex's death. Alex
> is survived by his mother, father, two sisters and fiancée. His untimely
> death is a harrowing reminder of the inherit risks of the sport we love.
>
> Alex was an emergency room and intensive care unit nurse a The Community
> Hospital of San Bernardino and was engaged to be married next year to Brenda
> Rosas. Brenda called us Friday afternoon to tell us that Alex had been
> looking forward to the race and was extremely excited and nervous about the
> swim. She said that Alex caught the triathlon bug a few years ago and ever
> since had "trained like a pro."
>
> In honor of Alex - and to give him the chance to Escape From the Rock as he
> had planned - all participants will be encouraged to wear a sticker with
> Alex's race number, 110, on Sunday. These stickers, which should be worn in
> addition to your own race number, will be available during Packet Pick-Up on
> Saturday.
>
> We will also be collecting donations in Alex's memory this weekend. At the
> family's request, donations should be made payable to *The Community
> Hospital of San Bernardino Foundation*, the hospital where both Alex and his
> fiancée worked.
>
> Our thoughts and prayers are with Alex's family, friends and co-workers at
> this difficult time. We look forward to celebrating Alex's spirit with a
> strong showing of support from the triathlon community this weekend.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dave & Wendy Horning
>
> and Kellie Chittenden
>
> *The Enviro-Sports Team*"
Quote Reply

Prev Next