Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [DecaClark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna try to give a list which has maximum evidence:

1) Caffeine. For hard workouts, during long ones, during competition. Its the shit.
2) Carbohydrates. Gels or sports drink. During training fruit works wonder, but during competition (oly and up) its a must
3) Iron+B12. Endurance athletes have a higher iron-turnover, and if the diet is sub-par an iron supp is great, pref one with b12 in it. Also very low risk to take even if you are OK right now.
4) Protein. I use free essential amino acids and a vegan blend. Improves recovery and body composition
5) Sufferlandrian holy water. Cant go without this one

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [trimack45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Competitors tears of anguish

Crushed dreams

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:

1) Caffeine. For hard workouts, during long ones, during competition. Its the shit.
2) Carbohydrates. Gels or sports drink. During training fruit works wonder, but during competition (oly and up) its a must
3) Iron+B12. Endurance athletes have a higher iron-turnover, and if the diet is sub-par an iron supp is great, pref one with b12 in it. Also very low risk to take even if you are OK right now.
4) Protein. I use free essential amino acids and a vegan blend. Improves recovery and body composition

Is it not dangerous to take an iron supplement if you are not actually deficient??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Water
2. Food
3. Beer
4. Weed
5. Tylenol

Supplements are bull.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liver
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
mortysct wrote:

Is it not dangerous to take an iron supplement if you are not actually deficient??

No, not really. Having a too high hematocrit is, but that is pretty well regulated. What we dont want is to become anemic and iron+b12 is needed in the synthesis of red blood cells, but it does not increase the amount of red blood cells to a higher level.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For breakfast: Martini (shaken not stirred) ... supplement with an olive --- and a cigarette (no filter)

For lunch: Nothing ..... I am working on getting even lighter and faster .....

For supper: Beer with foam you can cut with a knife .....

I skip caffeine and water because they rust your pipes ......

Sleep is for wusses ......

Only do intervals for workouts ..............

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Liver

That says it all. Certainly one of the most complete food source available, if not the most complete. And it has the good iron, the heme iron, iron that is absorbable and good for the blood. No supplement(s) can perform as well. And good liver is cheap and readily available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimack45 wrote:
What's yours?? 3.2.1..ready go..

Fish Oil
Multi V/Mineral
Powdered greens
Whey Protein
Glutamine

This is a silly question. There aren't 5 supplements every triathlete should take, just like there aren't 5 for any other athlete. You supplement what you are deficient in, and a balanced diet, or even a not so balanced diet should keep you pretty sufficient in all things. But here is what my preferred eating leaves me deficient in.

1. Omegas
2. Green Vegetables.

So if I have a hard workout and am not very hungry, I may drink a recovery shake with both of those supplemented. Not fish oil, though I might take those seperately.

But most supplements are garbage. Only five different companies make all the protein supplements out there, everybody else is repackaging their stuff with a little extra flavoring. Isolate is better if you need to reduce cholesterol. But no better from a protein source.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [IronRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronRod wrote:
Zero and I still managed to complete 18 IMs including Hawaii 3x.

What we share in common is we take nothing and have a terrible hit rate of IM's vs Kona IM's.

Zero supplements, 31 IM's, 3xKona....at least you are 6:1....I'm 10.333:1

Maybe these supplement guys on the secret Orange Juice are onto something.

OK time for some ice cream!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
1. Eggs.
2. Eggs in Sustagen.
3. Eggs on toast with lots of butter. And salt.
4. More butter.
5. More salt.

No spam?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Astaxanthin
2. Spirulina
3. Nutritional Yeast
4. Glutamine
5. Beet Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to my daily meds for heart, blood pressure and asthma, I take....

Multivitamin
Glucosamine
Fish Oil
Ester C

I'd give it all up, but you'll die if you try to take away my glucosamine! Other than melatonin so I can sleep, glucosamine has made the biggest difference in my life.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
SCSUswmr wrote:
3. Tetrahydrocannabinol

Hey! Didn't somebody lose an olympic medal over that one?

IIRC (and that's not guaranteed!) Back in Ngano, a Canadian mogul skier (forget his name and too lazy to check) got pinged for that. He got to keep the gold medal, because he claimed he'd been partying with snowboarders and it was second hand smoke! (love it, great defence. blame snowboarders, everyone knows they are wasters! LMFAO). Allegedly the party was to farewell a recently deceased snowboarder buddy of theirs.

Damn, now I have to go and check :-)

Found it! According to Wikipedia.....

"Also making the news was Ross Rebagliati's disqualification for marijuana being found in his system and having his gold medal stripped. The IOC reinstated the medal days later"

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Last edited by: tridork: Aug 24, 16 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I thought one can of whoop-ass was good on race day?! :)

On non-race days, I find that some Suck It Up pills are essential.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Carbs
Protein
Fat
Pop Tarts
GU

Pop Tarts are really the only sup anyone should need.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
Liver

That says it all. Certainly one of the most complete food source available, if not the most complete. And it has the good iron, the heme iron, iron that is absorbable and good for the blood. No supplement(s) can perform as well. And good liver is cheap and readily available.

Also goes well with chianti.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 Supplements every triathlete should take. [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Carbs
Protein
Fat
Pop Tarts
GU

Pop Tarts are really the only sup anyone should need.

Pop Tarts are the real "Breakfast of Champions". Wheaties have too much fiber and take too long to digest. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chocolate
Cocoa powder
Nutella
Brownies
Quote Reply

Prev Next