Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

"Vasoconstriction is a condition that must be considered when artificially cooling the body. Vasoconstriction is a body�s physiological response to extreme cold and is dangerous when the body is trying to get rid of heat. It has been scientifically proven that applying conductive or convective cooling at temperatures below 55� F to the human body will cause the capillaries closest to the skin to constrict, cutting off blood flow to that area effectively insulating the body from the perceived cold climate. This is extremely dangerous and has been known to elevate a person�s core temp even though they are wearing an artificial cooling system. Ice vests cooling systems are most commonly associated with this dangerous condition."

Bumping this thread to not blow up the one about breathing issues in the cold garage.

1. The first time I've seen this statement was in college and was mentioned by an athletic trainer. I've never seen an actual reference to the study, but I have come across numerous studies with data supporting that the vasoconstriction is not nearly enough to cause an increase in core temperature.
(https://scholar.google.com/...emperature&btnG=)

2. I applaud you for taking the time and interest in calculating heat balance. It's a pretty big subject and while my numbers are slightly different, I will agree that on paper there ought to be very little need for evaporative cooling. Certainly not enough to explain the sweat that people experience.

However, people still sweat. It could be for a myriad of reasons, but it does happen. Sweat production is not tied solely to skin temperature. That's the problem with working things out on paper (and computing this stuff is literally my job), it's typically correct "in theory".

(e.g. These tires ought to save you 20 seconds! but when you actually test them on the road, its unlikely you'll see the exact savings predicted)

My opinion: we need calculations and data to suggest what we ought to study / test, but we cannot leave it at calculations.

As a case in point: I'm the one not riding a bike
https://www.facebook.com/pearlizumicycling/videos/10154980559972213/

Every subject in this video was cold. And sweaty. (My fan was also gigantic... Big enough for a bus).

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
1. The first time I've seen this statement was in college and was mentioned by an athletic trainer. I've never seen an actual reference to the study, but I have come across numerous studies with data supporting that the vasoconstriction is not nearly enough to cause an increase in core temperature.
(https://scholar.google.com/...emperature&btnG=)

Ya, I couldn't say from my experience. I *can* say that hard effort + cold air + fan = lots of sweating and freezing skin at the same time. Just feels better to do it indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread in response to the other thread. I can't comment on the science, but can add myself to the list of subjects experiencing cold skin and a hot core. I regularly ride in my garage in temps around 45f. Glad to know there is something behind what I experience!

My countermeasure response is to run a space heater directly behind the trainer, with a light fan moving that slightly warmer air over my body, and wearing a good LS Base Layer underneath a fresh jersey every hour. A dropping heart rate combined with increasing PE is usually my signal to swap to a dry jersey.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread in response to the other thread. I can't comment on the science, but can add myself to the list of subjects experiencing cold skin and a hot core. I regularly ride in my garage in temps around 45f. Glad to know there is something behind what I experience!

Scott

I get the same thing in Winter when the shed can be below 10c. I find i feel way too hot without a fan and really cold with the fan, shed has no insulation so heating is a waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy more fans and/or stronger fans. And wear socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Shippy13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took my bike in for a tune up after it had been on the trainer all winter. When the bike tech removed the handlebar tape, he showed me the salt accumulation on the handlebars and the pile of salt on the floor where he tried to bang it off. Had to be replace the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imagine my surprise to see a thread i started in 2013 resurrected!

I too, wear a base layer indoors, it seems to help my skin regulate temp and sweat better than being shirtless (except for bra but those things suck at wicking moisture)

I have a remote controlled 3 speed fan, mounted at about head height in front of me. I found that cooling me as if I was riding worked better than having the fan on the floor, or table height. Is it because it's blowing across the top of my head? Sometimes if it's a really hard workout I have another desk fan on the floor behind the front wheel pointing upwwards at my chest

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next