Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dear Sweaty People on Trainers
Quote | Reply
Just a reminder to dry your shoes after you've spent ninety minutes or so raining sweat, gu and who-knows-what down your leg and into your shoes.

I just spent and hour this morning removing completely fused and stripped Speedplay baseplate screws by breaking off the baseplates, so that I could then grip the exposed screw head with locking pliers crack the threads. This rider only rides outside for races....all of his training is indoors without socks. Or any grease on the threads, either.

Cleats reinstalled with marine grease, for overkill.

Feel free to share amongst yourselves recipes for absorbing sachets, rice-socks or preferred newspapers to suck that equatorial rain forest environment out of there.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoes schmoes! i had a girlfriend who rusted out her bottom bracket on the trainer once!

-mike

p.s - that is not a smutty innuendo

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really?! Sweat can drip off my forehead onto the handlebars and front brakes and tire. It usually makes the climbing block gross after a while. But not anything else. This is greatly reduced with a sweatband and a big box fan in front of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you wear a shirt or jersey? My jersey is usually soaked but I don't have anything running down my leg, and I'm a heavy sweater.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. head band and jesery and I'm good to go. I do have a bike.thong I'll throw on once and a while, if I'm too lasy I grab an old hand towel to lay over the stem and all is good.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why am I always thinking about the obvious, common sense solutions?

- wear socks
- Wear a headband sweatband
- Use towels
- Use a fan

How is it that I can use the bike for a decent amount in the winter on the rollers and the trainer for years and years, and never have these problems.

Road for 2 hours recently. Very hard workout. Sweated profusely, very little actual sweat on the bike!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 14, 13 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I do have a bike.thong I'll throw on once and a while

Whoa....to each his own, I guess.

But wouldn't that thing chafe like a mofo?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone sweating that much on the trainer needs a new fan.

Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack the thread but for those that have their trainers set up in a spare bedroom how do you deal with the "gym smell"? My wife almost choked coming into the room today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah. Wouldn't even touch me. I rain sweat...and it's salty. If you put a clamp on my ear and my shoe, I'd make a battery.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just open a window or something for proper ventilation.

If you have a bunch of sweat running off when on the trainer, you don't have enough ventilation. Anything that isn't evaporated is wasted cooling and a good indication that you are overheating. I've got an industrial fan at home that can evaporate sweat as fast as it pours out of me. For people who like to swim in sweat on a trainer to get the true "suffer" effect, I don't get it. It just makes a big mess and cuts your power output when you overheat.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluto wrote:
If you have a bunch of sweat running off when on the trainer, you don't have enough ventilation. Anything that isn't evaporated is wasted cooling and a good indication that you are overheating. I've got an industrial fan at home that can evaporate sweat as fast as it pours out of me. For people who like to swim in sweat on a trainer to get the true "suffer" effect, I don't get it. It just makes a big mess and cuts your power output when you overheat.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's motivation! Cold garage, no shirt, and a digital thermometer to try to break a sweat and raise the temperature in the garage...usually a couple of degrees...and fog all the windows. :-)
Last edited by: Papac: Jan 14, 13 20:47
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Papac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i need to open up all the windows and put a fan on me in order to not be drenched in sweat. i find that HR and power output also are higher (although RPE is still higher than riding outside)
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously none of you ever ride trainers in the south. My old garage was still in the low 90s during the summer at 10pm.
Last edited by: TriDave: Jan 15, 13 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, just like a potatoe???

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Why am I always thinking about the obvious, common sense solutions?

- wear socks
- Wear a headband sweatband
- Use towels
- Use a fan

How is it that I can use the bike for a decent amount in the winter on the rollers and the trainer for years and years, and never have these problems.

Road for 2 hours recently. Very hard workout. Sweated profusely, very little actual sweat on the bike!

I do all the things you mentioned above. I use a sweat net on the bike. I soak two towels in an hour. I fill up the Cyclops 6 point block on a weekly basis. The paint starts peeling off my trainer/crit aluminum bike after 2 years. My rear brake nut is rusty. My shoes are usually damp after an hour and soaked after 90 minutes. My riding buddies have nicknamed me "hurricane." As a bigger cyclist, I'm a good draft. But it isn't a very pleasant experience for the drafter. In the summer, I drain 2 liters on a 50 mile ride and still lose 3+ pounds.

Some of us just sweat profusely. I can make a spigot on full look like a slow leak...
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
bluto wrote:

+1

You seriously think it's that easy? Some of us just sweat a lot, and no amount of ventilation or sweat bands will help.

My trainer is indoors in a room with it's own thermastat, so I drop the temp down to 65 degrees or so before I get on. Two towels, a sweat net and a big industrial fan and I still fill up my shoes with sweat to the point that I can pour it out afterwards. When I run, I usually have sweat splashing out of my shoe each step. It has nothing to do with "liking" to sweat!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. Wouldn't even touch me. I rain sweat...and it's salty. If you put a clamp on my ear and my shoe, I'd make a battery.

I used to ride on the porch in winter... 30F... and a fan blowing on me. And I'd be sweating all over place.

But now I have a *good* fan... in addition to the crappy one... and I can ride in the house. In winter the humidity is usually low in the house, so the solution is just to get enough air flow to evaporate your sweat effectively.

I'm pretty sure that if you got a couple of the Lasko Pro Performance blower fans (one on the floor and one up high), you'd be in good shape.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PERFECT!

Supersquid wrote:
Anyone sweating that much on the trainer needs a new fan.

Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a big industrial fan

Which? And have you thought about two?

Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained this morning in my garage, which was probably 45F ambient.

Put a Lasko fan on me at low, had to move it back because I was freaking cold.

Started my TrainerRoad session, and sweat a bucketeload again. Mind you my skin was FREEZING - it got so bad on the side with the fan that my skin started burning, yet I was still sweating a ton. Some of us just generate so much central heat that we'd have to literally freeze to get adequate air-based cooling. (If I do interval work running outdoors on a track at subfreezing temps, I can wear a T-shirt and still sweat after getting going.)

It's not as easy as just getting bigger fans for some of us unfortunately. Sweaters like myself really need heavy duty bike covers to stop the sweat (I did $300 damage to the front end of my TT bike on the trainer last year from sweat damage - won't repeat that one again.)
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Sweaty People on Trainers [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Rowenta 40cm standing fan this year, suddenly there is no performance difference between indoor and outdoor and no sweat on the floor.

Maybe the best "value for money" I ever got from any triathlon related gadget.

http://www.amazon.de/...358276227&sr=1-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After coming to the conclusion that I, too, was a heavy sweater causing visible damage to my bike, I developed a complete bicycle protection system. Now, my bike and trainer are thoroughly protected along with the floor covering. Go to http://www.anaerobiczone.com for information.
In Reply To:

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply

Prev Next