Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LoDewey wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:
Astroglide works wonders...

Hehe, Astroglide -- use it in T0 and T3!

KY also works well...just don't use the exotic stuff. Original only. When I used to run cross country in college, this stuff was available at the supermarket anywhere (no need for a running specialty store to get it), goes on easier then bodyglide, was cheaper, and it also has multiple uses (T0 and T3). They are both water-based as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you noticed any issues with the silicone based sport shield? I know that they last way longer than water-based, but typically stain clothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Crisco. Works like a charm and at the end of a hot race I smell like bacon.

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i use no lubrication on my neck of any sort, and, have not yet neck hickies for years. this is one of the benefits of a 2pc wetsuit (specifically, de soto's T1). if you do get a neck abrasion, where you get it is important to note. if it's just in one spot on the back, the "hook" part of the "hook and loop" (velcro) is probably folding over and abrading your neck. just be careful and correct when you put on your wetsuit. if it's around the sides and/or front of you neck, then, it's just the wetsuit. the best solution is to get another wetsuit (sorry).

Dan, interesting I found this. I have the desoto 2 piece and it has eaten my neck. Wearing the water rover now since the water is so cold. Looking at the collar line,
there is a lot of stitching. And my issue is totally in the back of the neck.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Ironmaniac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmaniac wrote:
Try using a Rash Guard shirt that you wear under the suit. I normally use on by Oneil or Body Glove and they are mainly designed for surfers who suffer the same problems. It is similar in construction to a turtle neck but made out of special material for swimming.

Here is a link to give you some ideas, but I would lean toward the shirts with the higher collars because it needs to stick out of the top of the wetsuit for teh best effect.

http://www.rashguardshirtco.com/

So far the ones I see looking at amazon do not seem to have any "turtle neck" styles I can see.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Laatste Ronde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laatste Ronde wrote:
Duct tape. It was recommended to me by my doctor. He saw my healing scab, asked about it, I said I was going to put a bandage there next race, and then he said to just use a piece of duct tape.

It works like a charm and you can color match it to your kit.

So Duct tape really worked for you? Anyone else? A tape based solution, IMO, would be the easiest for lots of reasons.

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Have not done a tri in years now. But, it did work for me. My wet suit was black, I used black duct tape. Off I went.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Laatste Ronde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laatste Ronde wrote:
Yep. Have not done a tri in years now. But, it did work for me. My wet suit was black, I used black duct tape. Off I went.

Now that I know what it causing, I will try some of the ideas. I ordered a necktech since this seemed the best, assuming it works.
The tape stuff I will try tomorrow since I want to do another long swim in the suit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi...I have a swimming background and can tell you with today's wetsuits this should not be a problem. It's quite possibly your body position while swimming. If you keep your head down therefore lifting your hips your position will be streamlined and u should not have that problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a product call Skin Sake. It is a heavy lubricating cream I originally purchased to prevent foot blisters from distance running. I put a big gob of this stuff on the back of the neck, and it always works--at least for 2.4 miles or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto suits give me horrifying neck abrasions, as a function of the neck shape and the fact that, unlike some others including Roka, they don't protect the collar area with smooth skin material that goes from outside to inside the suit. That design makes all the difference for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm seconding the suggestion of TriSlide over BodyGlide - you can really spray on thick coverage, it's helpful.

(I always get wetsuit neck burn, bad swim form, but the worst I ever had was the time I put on my wetsuit backwards - i.e. zip at front, idiotically - and didn't have time to take it off and put it back on again before swim start! It was grotesque - second only to the "third-degree chafing" I got from an unfortunate sports drink injury that involved a leaky valve on hydration pack dripping onto calves for a hundred-mile ride...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had luck with a piece of RockTape H2O and then body glide over that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A often over-looked part of the whole neck-chafing issue is swim technique. Many swimmers TWIST their heads when breathing. When in fact, if you have good body roll, the little bow-wave created by your head, when you are at max body roll, at just the right part of the stroke, gives you a great spot to breath with almost no twisting of the neck!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well hell, with this piece of info and another from the swim cap thread I may have found my problem.

I never swim with a cap in training and apparently that is possibly causing me to turn my head more to breath. Though is that hair retains water and is puts more on your face/cheek than if you're wearing a cap.

Then when I go to swim open water even with a cap I'm still turning my head too far and tearing up my neck. It is always on the side that I breath to. Hmmm. Sounds possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
A often over-looked part of the whole neck-chafing issue is swim technique. Many swimmers TWIST their heads when breathing. When in fact, if you have good body roll, the little bow-wave created by your head, when you are at max body roll, at just the right part of the stroke, gives you a great spot to breath with almost no twisting of the neck!

Yep, lots of stuff that can go wrong with poor technique, but, just seems like the suits should be made with some type of padding to avoid this in us poor swimmers

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Well hell, with this piece of info and another from the swim cap thread I may have found my problem.

I never swim with a cap in training and apparently that is possibly causing me to turn my head more to breath. Though is that hair retains water and is puts more on your face/cheek than if you're wearing a cap.

Then when I go to swim open water even with a cap I'm still turning my head too far and tearing up my neck. It is always on the side that I breath to. Hmmm. Sounds possible.

Interesting thoughts. I also might only have this issue when I have used a skull cap in cold water. Will see if I can try some different stuff today but my neck is
so chopped up, not sure if I can handle the pain swimming. Going to be a real good test of mind over body.

Quote Reply

Prev Next