Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear what you folks are doing to minimize wet suit neck burns/chafing. I don't have much of an issue up to 1500 m swims, but I've had some nasty neck burns after longer swims - and they take a long time to heal. I mainly get it on the back (as opposed to the side) of my neck, probably a function of lifting my head up to sight the buoys.

I've used body glide and wetsuit lube (the Profile kind) but still am having issues. I saw one guy at a HIM last year who had put duct tape on the back of his neck. Has anyone tried this? What else have you tried?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use no lubrication on my neck of any sort, and, have not yet neck hickies for years. this is one of the benefits of a 2pc wetsuit (specifically, de soto's T1). if you do get a neck abrasion, where you get it is important to note. if it's just in one spot on the back, the "hook" part of the "hook and loop" (velcro) is probably folding over and abrading your neck. just be careful and correct when you put on your wetsuit. if it's around the sides and/or front of you neck, then, it's just the wetsuit. the best solution is to get another wetsuit (sorry).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOTS of BodyGlide on the back of my neck, and Pam on the wetsuit collar. Ever hear someone complaining after a race that they used too much BodyGlide?

I agree with Dan that the T1 rubs less than other suits (at least those I've used), but I still need some lube there (esp. in salt water).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try using a Rash Guard shirt that you wear under the suit. I normally use on by Oneil or Body Glove and they are mainly designed for surfers who suffer the same problems. It is similar in construction to a turtle neck but made out of special material for swimming.

Here is a link to give you some ideas, but I would lean toward the shirts with the higher collars because it needs to stick out of the top of the wetsuit for teh best effect.

http://www.rashguardshirtco.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bodyglide. I have had rub on the side before. Always minimal with my T1.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sport Shield roll-on. Ever since switching, no neck burn and the stuff is a mother to get off your skin. . .

J.

-

"The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." - Watley
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [MI-->IM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used to get gnarly neck burn after any swim over 45 minutes. now i lube the back of my neck and the collar of the suit with body glide and dont have issues.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [MI-->IM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sport Shield roll-on. Ever since switching, no neck burn and the stuff is a mother to get off your skin. . .

J.

-

x2. I've found BodyGlide utterly inadequate for things like long runs ... or short swims in wetsuits.

SportShield roll-on, on the other hand ... a little goes a long way and you can still feel it on your skin, working, after several hours of friction.

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i use no lubrication on my neck of any sort, and, have not yet neck hickies for years. this is one of the benefits of a 2pc wetsuit (specifically, de soto's T1)..

I havn't been so lucky - my De Soto T1 left me with a really nasty neckburn after a 2km swim. I'm not sure it neccessarly the wetsuit's fault - I have a thick neck and I find all wetsuits are tight in the neck area and chafe. I've been using a silicone based cream called 'Blister Bomb' - it seems to eliminate 75% of the chafing. I really like the idea of duct tape on the back of the neck - I'll try that next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duct tape. It was recommended to me by my doctor. He saw my healing scab, asked about it, I said I was going to put a bandage there next race, and then he said to just use a piece of duct tape.

It works like a charm and you can color match it to your kit.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer TriSlide over Bodyglide. It's easier to apply and works better for me.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it a form issue? Are you getting tired and lifting your head? Before anything, I would look into your mechanics/form and try tilting your head down a bit.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used ky jelly and worked perfectly. I also use Bodyglide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this a sleeveless wetsuit?

How is the fit of your wetsuit? Have you consulted with someone who really knows about wetsuit fit?

What is your swim stroke like? Do you have good body roll or do you turn your neck to breath?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. Body glide seems to work for a while, but in an IM distance race, it seems like it's almost inevitable that your neck will get chewed up. I find that in salt water swims like IM Florida, it is even worse. Best solution is the gob the stuff on and hope to delay the discomfort as long as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [CajunCannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get a better fitting wetsuit. I use ducktape for training and Glide for races. You could also modify some kind of shirt or something to cover the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may sound funny but you'd think someone would have just the neck portion of a rash guard shirt for triathletes...I think in the colder climates they have something just to keep their necks warm--I believe they call it a "dicky" or something. Emilio--there's your next million $ idea, a rash guard "dicky" for triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has anyone tried this?
http://www.andrewswatersports.com/
NeckTech

made for surfers, but could be useful for triathletes too

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [space.monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Astroglide works wonders...
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a neck burn in a2 mile open water swim with no wet suit on. I've never had one in the pool. what do you think the problem was there?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [TriAya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriAya wrote:
In Reply To:

J.

-

x2. I've found BodyGlide utterly inadequate for things like long runs ... or short swims in wetsuits.

SportShield roll-on, on the other hand ... a little goes a long way and you can still feel it on your skin, working, after several hours of friction.

X3. Problem solved with Sport Shield roll-on for IM-length racing. That said, and repeating Dan's comment on a 2-piece suit being the best fit to prevent problems in the first place.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SportsSlick awesome for your neck, feet, and everywhere else in between that needs preventative slickness.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Astroglide works wonders...

Hehe, Astroglide -- use it in T0 and T3!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Neck Burn Prevention [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salt changes the dynamic. however, others may have a better answer than i.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if u wanna be holistic, try organic coconut oil! you can eat a finger full while you lather up your neck and crotch! (I put it on my chamois.) I also use coconut oil for after shave on my legs and face. just be warned, you don't want this stuff on your hands in a race. duct tape on the neck works until you rip it off and your left with something worse then chaffing...
Quote Reply

Prev Next