Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Lactic Achole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct it was not a new steroid in 88 but was not tested for in any of the in or out of competition test that B Johnson was subject to and it is believed that it was somethingthat he had used after his last testing 3 months prior to the Summer games.

Ben Johnson may be a good point but there are to many possibilities for the result. As with Landis, if he was using and had some masking agent or other way around the test then why did he come up positive, do you really think that they did anything different with the sample other than the miss handling that would have garnered a different result.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Wookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You are correct it was not a new steroid in 88 but was not tested for in any of the in or out of competition test that B Johnson was subject to[/reply]

IIRC it was tested for and was easily detectable. But I'll concede the point because it's really not worth the argument.

Lewis
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the hearing started today. And if what they have published in the "Wiki Defense" is true, I would be amazed if the adverse analytical finding was upheld. If it is, I really want to see the report as to why it is upheld.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently read the latest issue of Bicycling and they have an article about Floyd. In this article one of the main guys from the WADA accredited lab at UCLA claims that the findings at the French lab would not have been considered positive at the UCLA lab. What kind of system does not have a set standard for what is positive and what isn't. The best thing that might happen is Floyd gets off because of stuff like this and WADA is forced to get it;s act together.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was before they test 7 positive B samples using C13/C12 ratio.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Lactic Achole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stanozolol actually. Developed in 1962. Not quite new indeed.
Stanozolol was detectable as early as 1985.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=940DE3D8173FF937A35753C1A96E948260
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Wookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Landis had the same test done every time nothing new except the way the sample was handled.

Absolutely incorrect! The samples of all racers were being tested for testosterone ratios. When the last Landis sample came up with a high ratio, they then tested for synthetic testosterone for the very first time, and it came back positive. The B-sample then came back positive as well. Since that time every other Landis B-sample was retested and came back positive for synthetic testosterone. The guy has 7 positive tests for synthetic testosterone. He can get every lawyer in the world to come up with every B.S. procedure issue that lawyers bring when their client is guilty, but he was caught.

Now unless you can convince me that Mark Furman was their to contaminate all seven of Foyd's samples, you cannot convince me he is innocent. Bringing up "France hates Americans" is not going to work either. He screwed up and got caught.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
correct,
also remember all the claims Landis is making about testing procedures and being denied access to labs etc. is what he is telling the media, NOT necessarily the TRUTH.
WADA and USADA cannot comment on cases publicly, so Landis can say whatever he wants to try and drum up support.
Seems like day one of the hearing didn't go too well .. http://www.cyclingnews.com/...2007/may07/may15news
Also interesting is that a lot of the pros who were blown away by Landis on his stage win in the Tour went on to say publicly things like his performance was inhuman, impossible, suspicious etc.
Now why would these fellow pro cyclists say such things unless there truly was something suspicious about his performance?? Afterall, cycling has been through enough drug scandels and these guys have to protect their profession..
Also, why would the tour organisers set Landis up? it's not in the sports or the Tour's best interests and financially could cost cycling a lot of potential income.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They have had to throw out something like 12 other positive results in the past year or so for not following there own procedures,
can you give specifics?...or is this not really true...or is this an example of how floyd's test were not the same as those 'somthing like 12'...
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [westie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
correct,
also remember all the claims Landis is making about testing procedures and being denied access to labs etc. is what he is telling the media, NOT necessarily the TRUTH.
WADA and USADA cannot comment on cases publicly, so Landis can say whatever he wants to try and drum up support.

I liked this from the other day: "Tygert told ESPN that he is not allowed to comment on ongoing cases, but that "if Mr Landis wants to waive the rule and allow USADA to comment, I will be more than happy to comment"."

Funny Floyd never did offer to waive the rule.

I also like this BS foundation to their defense: ""Did Floyd, knowing he would be tested, take testosterone which he knew would not have a beneficial effect?""

Testosterone definitely aids in recovery which has a huge effect on performance in stage races. I doubt Floyd's lawyers will bring that up, however. Better try and obfuscate the truth than to let the truth come out.

The lies are just flying out of the Landis camp!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Landis had the same test done every time nothing new except the way the sample was handled.

Absolutely incorrect! The samples of all racers were being tested for testosterone ratios. When the last Landis sample came up with a high ratio, they then tested for synthetic testosterone for the very first time, and it came back positive. The B-sample then came back positive as well. Since that time every other Landis B-sample was retested and came back positive for synthetic testosterone. The guy has 7 positive tests for synthetic testosterone. He can get every lawyer in the world to come up with every B.S. procedure issue that lawyers bring when their client is guilty, but he was caught.

Now unless you can convince me that Mark Furman was their to contaminate all seven of Foyd's samples, you cannot convince me he is innocent. Bringing up "France hates Americans" is not going to work either. He screwed up and got caught.

Quick question when you say that Landis had 7 positive tests back for syn. testosterone. Was it that the B-sample was tested 7 times with all the same result OR was it that 7 independent samples were tested and came up for testosterone. Scientifically speaking, the first scenario isn't very surprising, but the second scenario is very damning.

I don't know what to think, but as a scientist these results should be verified by an independent lab...which is what Floyd wants. Regardless if you think Floyd is guilty or innocent, this is the most reasonable compromise for everyone involved. Every science lab is held to this standard (i.e. having your result verified independently)and I'm not sure why the French Lab is not.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [broadbill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quick question when you say that Landis had 7 positive tests back for syn. testosterone. Was it that the B-sample was tested 7 times with all the same result OR was it that 7 independent samples were tested and came up for testosterone. Scientifically speaking, the first scenario isn't very surprising, but the second scenario is very damning.

When his last sample came up with a high ratio they tested for synthetic testosterone. They then tested the b-sample which came positive for synthetic testosterone. They then tested all his previous b-samples for synthetic testosterone, with observers (although Floyd complained about the process, the observers and the color of the bathrooms in the lab) and all the previous b-samples, taken over the course of the tour, came back positive for synthetic testosterone.

So it is all the independent b-samples that all tested positive for synthetic testosterone. I may be incorrect about the exact number of samples, but the number they are using is 8 positive tests for synthetic testosterone, which I assume to mean 1 A and 7 B's. It could be 1 A & B counted as one test and then 7 other B's.

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [westie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Also interesting is that a lot of the pros who were blown away by Landis on his stage win in the Tour went on to say publicly things like his performance was inhuman, impossible, suspicious etc. "

His performance was not inhuman, impossible or suspicious. He performed at no higher level then he has in the past.

"Now why would these fellow pro cyclists say such things unless there truly was something suspicious about his performance?? "

They would say these things because the egg on their faces. They made a tatical mistake and gave him too large of a lead. They counted him dead and where too busy looking at each other then to take the to time cover his move.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"Also interesting is that a lot of the pros who were blown away by Landis on his stage win in the Tour went on to say publicly things like his performance was inhuman, impossible, suspicious etc. "

His performance was not inhuman, impossible or suspicious. He performed at no higher level then he has in the past.

[/reply]

Yes...so what could that possibly tell you?
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It tells me his brilliant ride means nothing to his case. The question is and will always be why should we believe either side. Floyd has everything too loose and WADDA/UCI/USADA can't finde their asshole with a map.

I love bicycles but the sport is just starting stink too bad.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the f*ck don't they just test for the synthetic testosterone to begin with??

Let me get this straight. They first test for the epi/test ratio, if that is out of whack they measure it against the athletes previous tests and physiology to see if it is natural. Then if there is still a doubt they do this carbon isotope test to see if the testosterone is synthetic?? Is this really the process? If so, then why don't they just jump to the last test? The more steps in the process, the more room for error.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why the f*ck don't they just test for the synthetic testosterone to begin with??

Let me get this straight. They first test for the epi/test ratio, if that is out of whack they measure it against the athletes previous tests and physiology to see if it is natural. Then if there is still a doubt they do this carbon isotope test to see if the testosterone is synthetic?? Is this really the process? If so, then why don't they just jump to the last test? The more steps in the process, the more room for error.

The test for synthetic is very expensive and time consuming. They use less expensive tests and quicker tests, like the ratio test, to flag potential issues and then subject the ones that fail those to other tests.

Also, there are so many substances that can be taken and they have to test for specific substances. They don't just put it in a machine and it comes back with a yes or no on every substance known to man- CSI is make believe TV show. When certain ratios are off, they know what to test for next.

Example, Tyler ended up having a different type of test done to his blood after failing a different initial test. Tyler has probably never been tested for synthetic testosterone.

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I went to the Town Hall in Scottsdale a few weeks ago. It was interesting to be sure. The most productive thing that happened that night was when he volunteered to do autographs. My friend who is a doctor, had their office nearby and went to get urine sample cups. Landis signed 4 of them for me, and wrote "Not Guilty- Floyd Landis" on them. Do I hear $5.00...$5.25....
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Fairness Fund [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
See Ben Johnson prior to 1984 - 1988 as a good example of how someone can have a dominant few years years, be tested at every one of the races that he won multiple times, and was on drugs.

The reason Ben Johnson got caught was actually a matter of stupidity. He simply forgot to use his dialysis machine - he got caught up in the time constraints placed on him at the Soeul Olympics and did not allocate enough time for a treatment the day before the race. Ben travelled with a portable dialysis machine, and effectively filtered his blood daily. This removed all traces of stanazolol from his system. The dialysis machine could be broken down for travel into individual parts that made it impossible to identify as such. These guys were very well organzed.

Source: I attended a lecture a few years back by Charlie Francis, Ben's coach...very, very interesting fellow. At the time, many details were never truly disclosed. The recent rash (last 10 years) of American sprint starts who have been caught have really opened the doors for professional discussion of past doping methods, and have allowed us to understand the true nature of treatments that many athletes participated in. Charlie alluded to Ben having an "air of invincibility" at the time of the Soeul Olympics - he was riding a wave of media-inspird confidence (caught up in the hype). Charlie said it got to the point where Ben truly believed he was the fastest man in the world, almost as if he forgot (or blocked out) the fact that he needed his treatments...which explains why creating time for dialysis was not priority #1.
Quote Reply

Prev Next