Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Paulo! BarryP! Please talk me out of this!! (Run training Q!) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you the same dude that wrote the LSD thread and told me to do more LSD instead of tempo, even though I'm running twice as much as this guy? Curious as to why you're recommended a tempo + speed work to this guy, yet thought I needed more LSD instead of tempo, even though I'm doing twice the volume and have been doing it consistently for a lot longer. Or did I misinterpret you?
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo! BarryP! Please talk me out of this!! (Run training Q!) [John Coctostan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh....now you are putting me to the test!!! ; ^ )

I assume you are refering to the post I copied at the bottome here.

1st off, I think it's perfectly OK for either of you to do tempo runs or to not do tempo runs right now. However, in YOUR case I assume you are looking to race in the Spring thru Summer (maybe a bad assumption). Also it seems like you have a bit of experience under your belt. So, the ultimate recommendation is to build your mileage and then add in the tempo. Since you won't need to peak for 8 to 10 months, I figured there was no need to rush in the tempo....although it is still prefectly fine that you do them.

For the OP, he is trying to peak in April......eh....still 6 months away, so probably no need to do the tempo run still. However, it wouldn't really hurt. The main reason why I recommended it for him is that he feels frustrated that he is running so slow all the time. I'd much rather see someone dedicate one run a week to faster running than to have them try to force ALL of their runs to be faster. It didn't seem like you needed that confidence builder.

I think Paulo wrote a post once that said something to the effect that there are many right ways to do something, but there are also many wrong ways to do it. So, in this case, 12 miles a week of all LSD trying to build to 16 miles a week is one right way. 12 miles a week and addining in a tempo run and build to 14 miles a week is another right way. 10 miles a week of forcing allof the running to be faster so that someday he can run faster is a wrong way. Also keep in mind that he runs 12 minutes a mile. Even though I talk about running 40 to 60 mile weeks a lot, that's not going to happen with a 12 minute miler. It'll take 12 hours a week of running to hit 60 miles!

Regarding you, John, like I said, you could do the tempo or do without. I think 40 minutes of Tempo is a little aggressive for the off season (unless you are planning on a peak race in December and then will start with base building in January). The #1 goal during this period is to build mileage. Some tempo running can be done, but not a lot. However, as I stated, if you don't have the time to put in more miles then the 40 minute tempo will probably be fine.

"Good catch. When John used the word "Interval" he is talking about doing LT paced runs at 88% to 92% of max heart rate (app. 60 minute race pace). This corresponds to what I call "tempo pace" which I covered in this thread:http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

When I talked about not jumping into "interval work" I was refering to 98% to 100% max heart rate training (app. 15 minute race pace).

Anyway, I definitely said in one of those threads that once you are "fit" you can add in a 20 minute "tempo run" once a week and gradualy build that up to 40 minutes as long as it doesn't compromise your total running volume.

Honestly, like you said, I'd rather someone in John's position drop the LT running alltogether and add in a few more runs and build up the total mileage another 20% or so before adding the LT (tempo) running back in. Then start at 20 minutes and build up to 40. However, that assumes the person is willing to put in the extra training time.

To resumarize my other threads:

Mostly LSD early and build build build mileage.

Then add LT running (this can be done for up to 10 months out of the year).

Then add in some V02max interval training (last 4 to 8 weeks of the season....for fit people). "

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo! BarryP! Please talk me out of this!! (Run training Q!) [TwinDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to go run now myself, so I just wanted to say that more is MORE! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo! BarryP! Please talk me out of this!! (Run training Q!) [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha!!

I realize you're a bit busy this week, so I figured I might not hear from you...

Good luck tomorrow!

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply

Prev Next