Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What kind of bread do you eat? Need suggestions
Quote | Reply
I eat whole grain bread most of the time. But I have difficulty finding a brand that is 100% stone ground, has no high fructose corn syrup, and low to medium Glycemic index.

I will focus on a low GI diet during the winter, and most whole grain breads contain High Fructose C S, which makes the bread be top in the GI chart, and won't cooperate in the weight loss process.

Any ideas what kind or any brand?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of bread do you eat? Need suggestions [Wiso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the amount of HCFS pretty minimal? A slice of bread only as a couple of grams of sugar, which I wouldn't worry about.

http://www.pfwholegrains.com/...prd_product_id=11782

But if you want to get some non-HCFS bread, try going to a place like Whole Foods or Trader Joes, they probably have those kinds. Or go to a local baker, or make your own.
Last edited by: RoadWarrior: Oct 19, 06 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, I don't eat pre-packaged breads, but chose artisan types which are made locally and usually organic, with absolutely no preservatives or crazy chemicals. they may be higher on the GI, but are very tasty. right now my favorite is a local ciabatta with kalamata olives baked in... yummy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
home-made via bread machine.

a healthy, high-protein, high-fiber, minimal sugar, and ridiculously low cost alternative to factory bread.

try it.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None. Especially if you want to lose weight.

Even 100% whole grain bread still contains proccessed flour. The action of grinding the grain releases the endosperm which is rapidly absorbed in your intestine (high GI).

When you eat whole grains (buckwheat, millet, quinoa, brown rice, slow-cooked oats), your digestive system has to do the "grinding" and makes absorption much slower, resulting in lower GI and sustainable energy.

If you want to lose fat quickly, follow four simple rules: No sugar (or artificial sweetner), no flour, no booze, no (uncultured) dairy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe I should put something nice here.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of bread do you eat? Need suggestions [thebigH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
None. Especially if you want to lose weight.

do you have a body building bakground? this is the same suggestion a co-worker gave me today, and he is into BB.

He also mentioned that no consuming sugar is even more important than non consuming fat.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exekiel Bread from Food for Life

Some of the Milton's Breads

Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat

But all of these can be hard to find if you are not near or in a pretty good sized city.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some examples of no uncultured dairy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope... not a BBer. However, my strength coach does coach some BBers as well. I began seeing him about a year ago, with goals of getting fast and lean. It worked. I went from 19 to <13% bf and lost about 12 pounds, all in 4 months. Have maintained my weight and lean mass for over 6 months now. I am barely 5'4, and was only about 126lbs to begin with, so dropping weight wasn't exactly easy.

Some, but not all of my nutritional nazi-ism comes from him. The rest is due to my chem-nerd background.

The sugar rule is definitely the most important, especially after about 4pm. The only exception to it would be for long, aerobic workouts (over 2 hours) - you need the high GI drinks/food for those.

Fat, in moderation, is good for you. Avoid "No Fat", "Low Fat", and "Diet" products. They contain fat and sugar substitutes which usually result in slowed weight loss.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to eat whatever is on sale. Typically the house brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncutltured and partially cultured dairy products are milk, light/low-fat yogurts, buttermilk, and soft (cream) cheeses.

Cultured dairy is yogurt, cottage cheese, and hard cheeses. If you're going to eat these, make sure they're full-fat organic products. Mass produced dairy products go through nasty proccesses to make them "safe" to sit on the shelves for weeks, and aesthetically appealing to Joe Shmoe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bunny Bread with Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter and Smuckers Grape Jelly.

I know it's bad for me, but I wear my helmet when I ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Harvest is good. There are some other all-natural ones that are good as well. They're kind of hard to locate depending on where you are though. What I recently discovered is that Sara Lee is now making a 100% Natural line of bread that has no HFCS.

Quote | Reply
i don't remember the last time i bought bread.
Last edited by: austin79: Oct 19, 06 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ezekiel with raisins -although I don't eat a lot of it - get it from Whole Foods
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rudy's organic multigrain oat.

toasted with butter and homemade strawberry jam - ohmygodgood.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whole grain, or that with the higher fiber

Or white
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you want to lose fat quickly, follow four simple rules: No sugar (or artificial sweetner), no flour, no booze, no (uncultured) dairy.

What you really should have said was to consume less food while keeping your training levels the same or train more while not increasing your caloric intake.

BTW how are you defining no sugar?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing that annoys me is the amount of whole-grain or whole wheat stuff that is sweetened - like how pretzel companies can't just make whole wheat pretzels, they have to be "honey wheat" (aka HFCS-wheat).

If you're really into it, it's worth getting a bread maker.
If you're really, really into it, it's worth baking your own bread. But that's a whole different kettle of fish. But with a bread maker you control what's going into your bread. Most also have a timer function, so not only is there fresh, warm bread waiting for you when you wake up in the morning, but your house will smell like fresh, warm bread when you wake up.
-charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder Bread

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of bread do you eat? Need suggestions [HeyB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Spelt Bread

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of bread do you eat? Need suggestions [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

What you really should have said was to consume less food while keeping your training levels the same or train more while not increasing your caloric intake.

BTW how are you defining no sugar?

No, I shouldn't have said that, 'cuz that's not what I meant. The quality of your caloric intake is much more important than the quantity (within reason, chronic over and under-eaters excepted).

Veggies, veggies, veggies, lean meats, fruits, with some whole grains, beans, nuts and cultured dairy are essential parts of a balanced diet. Refined flours and sugars, low-fat and no-fat foods, and bad fats are best avoided.

How else do I define no sugar? NO SUGAR. In a subsequent post, I stated an exception for workouts over 2 hours, in which you need the fast-acting simple carbs. Otherwise, NO SUGAR!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat Rye-ola, or a similar kind called called Rivita......no HFCS (and I don't care if the amount is minimal, I think any amount is bad)..its just rye flour,no wheat, some molasses, thats about it...you can get it for 1.50 a loaf sometimes and when that cheap I stock up....I try to stay away from too much wheat and processed sugar so this is good, its high fibre, has protein, and is great....
Quote Reply