Quote | Reply
JBres wrote:
...made you feel JUICED….

Icarus.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James2020 wrote:

The early climbing and polar expeditions are the best reads imo. Shackleton's disastrous Antarctica being particularly good. Annapurna by herzog is also good (although some suggestion it is a very bias/romanticised account - Herzog was the expedition leader).

I actually just watched the Tony hawk documentary "until the wheels fall off" which was a lot more inspiring than I expected.

There was an excellent Shackleton doco showing on IMAX about 15 years ago. Has there ever been a greater story of survival against the odds?

As a flipside to Tony Hawk, check out All This Mayhem:
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi4031425561/?ref_=tt_vi_i_1

Not sure if inspiring is the right descriptor, but a compelling story all the same.

Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [JBres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually like the bodybuilding ones (generation iron) on Netflix plus there’s a good one about Ronnie Coleman on YouTube.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Senna

It's long but easily one of the best documentaries ever made I think.

On the F1 side, Rush also never fails to impress me. Great movie and while slightly dramatized, it was overseen by the real Nikki Lauda so it's pretty true to events.

Have you watched the fan made 'Silver war'? A dude made a pretty awesome documentary about Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton and the 2016 season. I think he also made a follow up origin story and how the relationship between Rosberg and Hamilton soured.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
I Dream of Sushi 🍣

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - yes

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James2020 wrote:
Zabardast is my favourite ski documentary - but more about adventure and awesome skiing than physical challenge (although there is some). The "south lines" ski films are also good, and for something a bit shorter some good YouTube channels like cham lines and Nikolai Schirmer

Ya can't go wrong with classic Warren Miller films either. Although they often DO look cheesy & dated, they're good for a laugh #whysoserious

Last edited by: RandMart: May 18, 22 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a Canadian TV show from a few years ago called Boundless that I absolutely loved. A couple well known adventure athletes compete in random adventure/endurance races around the world. Everything from ultra marathons to stage ski races to all-night bike adventures. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they fail miserably. But the show did a wonderful job showing the physical ability and heart that is needed to do these crazy races. It was a well-done show that really opened my eyes to the world beyond triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
[quote James2020Zabardast is my favourite ski documentary - but more about adventure and awesome skiing than physical challenge (although there is some). The "south lines" ski films are also good, and for something a bit shorter some good YouTube channels like cham lines and Nikolai Schirmer

Ya can't go wrong with classic Warren Miller films either. Although they often DO look cheesy & dated, they're good for a laugh #whysoserious[/quote]
Most fun ski film ever is G.N.A.R.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though we all know nothing tragic happened in Free Solo, I still get sweaty palms just thinking about it

Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [STILLfast13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STILLfast13 wrote:
Riding Giants (big wave surfing movie)

Directed by Stacy Peralta - The Search for Animal Chin, Dogtown & Z-Boys

Bruce Brown's son made a surf movie called Step Into Liquid released about the same time as Riding Giants, and - honestly - it wasn't nearly as good

Jack Johnson started out making surf films; I can't remember which I discovered first, his movies or his music?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Even though we all know nothing tragic happened in Free Solo, I still get sweaty palms just thinking about it

I agree and got the same impression from « The Alpinist » (now streaming on Netflix). What Andre Leclerc achieved in his short Mountaineering carrer is incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

I watched that on a long run on the treadmill - my HR shot up so much on his actual attempt watching it. Even though I knew nothing happened, it was adrenaline-pumping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably more reality TV than doco but the Ironman series - was it called Road to Kona? - was inspiring for me. Most of the people really stood no chance of getting to Kona but there were some incredible stories of regular people giving it their all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBres wrote:
So I just saw the Eliud Kipchoge doc about him going Sub-2 hours with the help of, if my math is correct, about seven hundred of the greatest minds in sport and an unlimited budget. Despite this, despite so many problems with “The Last Milestone”, I found it incredibly moving, a joy to watch, AND IT MADE ME WANT TO RUN FASTER LONGER HARDER.

This got me to thinking:

What are some of the great (or maybe not even remotely great) docs you’ve seen that made you feel JUICED…. inspired… moved?

This is almost certainly a recipe for injury and/or burnout. IME, you need to approach your training a bit cautiously, increasing the miles very gradually, and increasing the frequency and length of your hard runs very gradually. If you swim and bike, you can increase these distances faster with less concern for injury (aside from bike crashes), but the run needs to be very carefully monitored.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Yup. Just insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
Probably more reality TV than doco but the Ironman series - was it called Road to Kona? - was inspiring for me. Most of the people really stood no chance of getting to Kona but there were some incredible stories of regular people giving it their all.

If memory serves me right, someone from here at Slowtwitch was on that show

Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:
"Boston" is a great documentary movie!

Narrated by Matt Damon, it goes through the entire history of the race (some real cool stories in there), while also following the preparation for the 2014 race the year after the bombings, and then that 2014 race with Meb's historic win.

Thanks for the reminder. I still haven't watched this.

I was supposed to run Boston in 2013 but had an injury that season. I ran Boston in 2014. It was a really special race. The whole city was so supportive of the runners. I would get Boston residents thanking me for coming to Boston to run it on the T (Boston's subway) and in restaurants. The camaraderie was really amazing between athletes and supporters. I personally didn't have a great run performance, but I remember having tears of joy when I learned Meb won. I really enjoyed the whole experience even if it wasn't my best run.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schag001 wrote:
I personally love all the long YouTube videos from Billy Yang.
Western States 100 and others.
Super nice cinematography and narration.

Go find him on YouTube. You won’t regret it.

I agree about the Billy Yang YouTube videos. I look forward to everyone of them. A few of my favorites are:

Mont Blanc
Western Time
Life in a Day

Also, Jeff Pellitier does good video content on YouTube about ultrarunning. He recently did a multipart series about a stage race in Namibia. It was enertaining.

If you have any interest in The Barkley Marathons, then check out the following:

Where Dreams Go to Die by The Ginger Runner
Out There by Karel Sabbe
The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats its Young

Someone already mentioned The Vegan Cyclist. His Impossible Route videos are great. Also, for pure entertainment purposes, watch his video where he decided to spontaneously do an ironman near his house. Also, his video of his Unbound Gravel (DK) race is interesting

For cycling, Adam Roberge is a Canadian (Queebec) pro who does videos about his races and training (mostly gravel). These are pretty good.

EF Cycling does a few videos of Lachlan Morton and Alex Lowe racing Leadville and Unbound.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
If you have any interest in The Barkley Marathons, then check out the following:

Where Dreams Go to Die by The Ginger Runner
Out There by Karel Sabbe
The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats its Young

There are a few really good Backyard Ultra ones from all around on YouTube as well

https://www.youtube.com/...kyard+ultra+marathon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next Goal Wins: American Samoa's grassroots national soccer team, with underdogs, a crazy maniac lovable manager, and a lot more.

Eyes on The Prize: PBS's documentary of the American Civil Rights era.

Google "Snooker 147" and watch the youtube videos that you find.

The Dawn Wall, about climbing and one hell of a biography.

Since so many folks like the climbing movies, I suggest Meru (about struggle and success) and Touching the Void (harrowing).

A couple of links:
Next Goal Wins (2014) - IMDb
Eyes on the Prize | PBS
Last edited by: apmoss: May 21, 22 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much great stuff! Blown away by this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
The two seasons of The Least Expected Day on Netflix were entertaining, in a Bravo/Housewives kinda way

Watched Plan B: The Fall and Rise yesterday, about Jumbo-Visma's 2021 TDF

I forgot that they were down to just 4 guys at the end [Vingegaard, Wout, Sepp, and Mike Teunissen]

Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [Pmth95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmth95 wrote:
RandMart wrote:

I agree and got the same impression from « The Alpinist » (now streaming on Netflix). What Andre Leclerc achieved in his short Mountaineering carrer is incredible.

The Alpinist is a great movie - it just won the Emmy for best long documentary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Icarus makes me feel Juiced... because my competitors were juiced and I now feel juiced to become a keyboard warrior.

Other movies that move me
GameChangers
any other diet related movie that makes my blood pressure rise 50mmHg

....maybe that's not what you meant by juiced...inspired....moved.... :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Super League put out a nice Vincent Luis series. PTO did one on Lionel.

There are two high quality documentaries on Western States 100 on Youtube.

Can't go wrong with Breaking 2 tho.

I think that Vincent Luis docu put a curse on him calling it 'unbeatable' was it? He's been everything else but since!
Quote Reply

Prev Next