Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a similar way, when one was holding up 2 or 3 cars on either side, as he was crossing the bridge between 2 lakes, I had a bag of paint stirrers left over from a trip to Lowes in the trunk

I let him snap on one of those - instead of anyone's fingers - then another dude & I grabbed him and dropped him into the water

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lion, a big adult male lion.

Let me explain. I used to work in Africa, doing fieldwork in large carnivore conservation and research. After doing that for several years I noticed my condition detoriated. When a 10K fun run was organized I enthusiastically started the run, as if I was still capable of running a 38min 10K like I used to do. It was humbling, I had to walk stretches and couldn't finish under an hour (ok 35+ Celsius and a nearly 11k 10k didn't help, but still, humbling).
So I decided to start exercising again. First running in the off season, doing HIIT (somebody broght some exercises of Shaun T - "Keep the core contracted!" to the camp etc). I got shin splints, tore and achilles, but made progress.
A few years later I was working in a National Park which was very open and our main focus wer African wild dogs (if you've seen the wild dogs in the BBC Series The Hunt, that were 'our' wild dogs), cheetahs and hyaenas, but also the single pride of lions in the park. Most work we did with motorbikes, but were always careful to not run into the lions with our bikes. We did have an airstrip near camp, which was good for running. The consisted of loose sand, which was compacted at the airstrip, the airstrip was fenced, had markers every 100m and was 1km long, which all made for good running.
One day I went for a run in the afternoon, starting a little later than anticipated, but since there was a large crew working on the airstrip I wasn't too worried and walked to the airstrip (about half a mile from camp), and didn't take a motorbike or car. During my training everybody left, and when I finished I was alone and it was starting getting a little too late to comfortably walk around. The area between the airstrip and camp was just grass, while camp was located in a little woodland.
As it was late I jogged back rather than walking, but when I was about half-way, the adult male lion of the pride jumped up out of the grass and charged. So I stopped. I've met lions on foot several times. Stand your ground, make yourself big and make noise and they'll back off. I could hear the generator running in camp, so I realized that my collaegues wouldn't be able to hear me shouting and clapping. The lion stopped his charge at about 20-25m, so not very close (I have experienced them stopping much closer), but after stopping he didn't turn around and run off (as usual). He just stood there, growling and swiping with his tail. This stand off probably last much shorter than I remember it, but at some point I decided I should try to get some distance between him and me and slowly started backing off. This worked initially, but when the gap grew to about 80m he started following. Not good! And I still had to walk a few hunderd meters until the edge of the woodland, not good either!
I continued, and he continued following and at some point there was a little bush, which I thought, if I manouver in such a way that that becomes between us, it would break the line of sight and he might relax. I have to say, that this bush was not something I could climb for safety, it was less than 2m high. It didn't work, he kept following.
I got closer to the woodland, and I was hoping he would give up. The male lion never really ventured into the woodland where the camps were (tourist camp, ranger camp and research camp), but the females often did. The females never showed any aggression though and sometimes they would lie in the sand watching you from 10m where you were cooking. After shining a torch on them they would sometimes just roll on their backs almost behaving like domestic cats (almost, half an hour later they would kill and eat a wildebeest). A few documentaries about these lions were made, The Last Lioness being the most famous one, I think you can find it on vimeo and possibly other platforms.
Anyway, as we were approaching the woodland, I though he would give up. The distance between us had increased a little, maybe to 100m now, and I was about 15m from the edge of the woodland. However, he started jogging! So I started shouting and whistling as hard as I could. And because I was close to camp now, my colleagues, who had just been wondering why I was still not back, heard that and thought something might be amiss. And then things happened rapidly. He let out a loud road and broke into a full sprint. My colleagues now realized the problem! And I, knowing that you should never run from a lion, but since he had already been following me for several hunderd meters, decided I should run, and I chose to run to the closest camp, the ranger camp, and dove into an open tent there, startling the rangers.
One colleague had jumped up out of his chair and ran straigth TO the roar. When he ran full speed around the corner of the driveway he saw the lion and as he ran at the lion the lion stopped and turned and ran off (side note, my colleague is the 'colleague' in this article, who at a previous job saved a colleague out of the mouth of a lion: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2056680/Kgalagadi-ranger-Albert-Bojone-dragged-lions-MOUTH-brave-colleague.html).

We all had a good laugh and a few beers shortly after this! And from then on I didn't run as late in the day anymore, always took a car, and always checked with radio tracking gear if the lions weren't around. It turned out that the lioness and their cubs were on the other side of camp. Thus the camp, and I, were between him and the lioness and cubs, that could have played a role in his behaviour.

The next day we checked his tracks and he had been sprinting flat out (huge gaps between tracks), with his claws extended:

The trouble maker:

Not too worried about the wildlife I encounter on my runs in the UK these days!
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW!

just WOW!

and thank you for protecting animals!
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [runbrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Among the numerous critters I've encountered over the years the ones that get the HR up a bit are the numerous black bears I've come across while both cycling and running. Last week was the most recent. A few times it's sows with cubs. A few years back a while out riding I came up on a sow with 4 cubs. You don't see that too often. Unfortunately the sow was bit by a car that summer but all 4 cubs were captured for later release.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing story!
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [pstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pstri wrote:
Among the numerous critters I've encountered over the years the ones that get the HR up a bit are the numerous black bears I've come across while both cycling and running. Last week was the most recent. A few times it's sows with cubs. A few years back a while out riding I came up on a sow with 4 cubs. You don't see that too often. Unfortunately the sow was bit by a car that summer but all 4 cubs were captured for later release.

I never knew that a mama bear was called a sow

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [onboost91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a large purple dildo laying in the road at IM UK in 2014.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [maxbrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just caught up on this thread and figured I'd chip in with my Central Park story. Surprisingly doesn't even have to do with an eclectic NYC resident!

I was out on some smaller side trails on the south side of the park I didn't often run. A squirrel started to cross the path about 10 meters up from me but paused at the edge so I figured it was okay to keep going. Right when I get to him, he darts across the path and positions himself directly under my right foot mid stride. I tried to take the weight off that foot as it came down but it landed solidly on the squirrel's back. I looked back as it continued to cross the path, climb about 1/3 of the way up a small fence on the other side, and then fall off backwards, never to move again. There are some dumb squirrels out there but this one was solidly suicidal...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened to me once on my bike once (almost)... I swear some squirrels are just prepared to die as roadkill.

I was going on a downhill, and a squirrel crossed the road in front of me and then stopped... thinking it was clear I just kept going, but at the very last minute it decided to dart back across the road! It went between my two wheels and I swear I hit it with my pedal. I looked back after passing and it seemed to be okay, but that was definitely a close call (probably for both of us if I had hit it!)
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my own squirrel story, back on Page 6

As well as a possibly suicidal bird, also on Page 6

Last edited by: RandMart: Jul 23, 20 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something that happened yesterday, reminded me of this one

I used to run past a marina on the river. There was always a massive gathering of gnats and no-see-um's around the path nearby, especially at low tide

One particular evening, as I trotted along and through the grey cloud of little bugs, my eyesight on the right suddenly got blurry and I immediately felt a sharp pain, burning straight to the back of my brain

Blinking ferociously, I pulled off, and tried to clear my vision - there was definitely something in my eye, but try as I might, I couldn't flush/blink it out

Staggering from the pain, and unable to quite see where I was going, I managed to make my way to the parking lot, where flipped the mirror of the first car I found, to see what was the issue

A small bug had not only flown into my eye, but he was stuck underneath my contact lens. Silhouetted against the bright red of my inflamed cornea, i could see the little fucker swimming around in there, trying to get out

Quick as I could, I popped the lens out, re-lubed it in my palm with saliva, scrubbed the little winged beastie out of my eye, and stuck the contact lens back it, with the help of the mirror I had jacked around

The pain subsided, my vision cleared, my heart-rate returned to normal, and I went on my way

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooof, your squirrel story sounds even less expected than mine! At least I saw it directly in front of me, rather than some random rumbling in a tree!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
This happened to me once on my bike once (almost)... I swear some squirrels are just prepared to die as roadkill.

I was going on a downhill, and a squirrel crossed the road in front of me and then stopped... thinking it was clear I just kept going, but at the very last minute it decided to dart back across the road! It went between my two wheels and I swear I hit it with my pedal. I looked back after passing and it seemed to be okay, but that was definitely a close call (probably for both of us if I had hit it!)

My theory is that squirrels successfully evolved to shock their predators -- unlike most prey, they would frequently run toward danger. Predators would be so gobsmacked, they would just stare at them instead of catching the squirrel.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I had first hand experience in how this tactic fails against wheels (which don't have eyes with which to stare). I am cruising on a country road -- it is a bit down hill and a little rough, but completely ride-able by picking a workable line -- I see the squirrel cross the road up ahead and even though it was a squirrel, I breathed a sigh of relief that the dude hadn't crossed when I got there. Then he made the fateful decision to get squirrely -- right when I got to that spot he ran back smack at danger and -- bump bump -- both wheels ran over him. Maybe if I wasn't going over 30 mph in aero and/or if I was riding on a smoother road I might have tried to dodge him but in the split second the only thing that went through my (alleged) mind was if I hit him I needed to be off my brakes and going straight ahead. I was unscathed, but I assume it was fatal to him -- I had no interest in looking back.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened a couple weeks ago while mountain biking.
A piece of poop was walking across the trail. I sh!t you not!
Upon reluctantly closer inspection, a bunch of insects were carrying their treasure to safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While running I once got chased out of a park in Baltimore City by a homeless guy wielding a scepter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago, running pre-sunrise, I got on an overpass and because it was early and there was little traffic and because I did not like running on sidewalks I ran on the bike lane along the shoulder. And as I was getting on I saw something out of the corner of my eye crossing the lanes and coming my way. It was a row of 5 raccoons running in unison and they preceded to cross four lanes and take the bike lane in front of me. I don’t know why I didn’t jump the barrier to get on the sidewalk but I just slowed down several strides and they ran in front of me, following the wall, up and down the overpass for a good 300-400m, until the barrier ended and they scurried off. It was a weird morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a bag of garbage (the big black bags, not the little shoppng bags) thrown out of a passing car at me near the Coquihalla Highway offramp, heading into Kelowna. That was fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've hit a squirrel before - scared the crap out of me. Went under my front tire and in the blade spokes in the back.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week on our local bike trail I saw guys moving at a good clip, both on antique boneshaker high wheel bikes. I'm not sure how it was set up, but one was definitely riding with the small wheel in front!
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they made them that way, too

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years back I was doing a trail ultra, following the coast. Beautiful and brutal.. the beat kind, but at one point, fully 10 miles away from even the nearest road, a man appeared.

Backpack. Hi king boots and walking sticks.

Other than that, totally fucking naked.

I think the weirdest thing was that he appeared ‘off trail’ intersected the trail I was on and with total confidence just marched off through the undergrowth going fuck knows where.

For some reason his neatly cut ginger hair and pot belly stick with me to this day.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Poldarn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poldarn wrote:
For some reason his neatly cut ginger hair and pot belly stick with me to this day.

Probably just Ron Weasley trying to rediscover himself, after that awful breakup with Hermoine

https://www.themarysue.com/...t-grint-ron-divorce/

https://www.cinemablend.com/...Ron-Harry-62153.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A gigantic South America Rat Called Capivara at the old Ciclovia in Sao Paulo City ( yes in the middle of the town )

Looks like this ->
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found someone's Driver's License in the middle of the road while running this morning. The address was just around the corner from my house, so I took it over [when I got home and could get a mask]

The townhouses that matched where the address should be weren't numbered, so I had to ask the first person I saw "Is this 187 ________ Road?"
"Yes it is"
"I'm looking for Apartment 3?"
"That would be ... right up there; second floor, on the left"
"Yep, I see the 3. Thanks"

Took it up, rang the bell. The occupant who came to the door matched the photo of the young black woman on the license

"I found this while running a little while ago" And handed it to her through a small gap she'd opened in the door - just to be safe, y'know
"Oh my!" she exclaimed, with wide eyes, "I must've dropped it while walking to the Dollar Store!" Although I had clearly woken her, she was quite effervescent "Thank you so much! I hadn't noticed! Who knows when I would have! Thanks again! That was so nice of you!"
"No problem. You're quite welcome"

As I was leaving, the older woman I'd seen first asked if the person was home. I said "Yes, everything is good" and explained my reason for coming over

"That was so nice of you! It would be a better world if more people did things like that. Even little things"
"Hey, you know" I replied "Being nice is fun. And it's SOOOO easy! Being mean is hard; it takes thought and energy. At least for me, anyway. Maybe I'm wrong"
"No" she answered "You're NOT wrong"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this riding my bike the other weekend. Was strange, I never ride outside from my house but just had an urge to dust off my old road bike and go for a Sunday morning spin. It was laying in the street near the curb maybe 2-3 miles into my ride. Caught it out of the corner of my eye just as I passed by assumed it was a toy so almost didn't turn back. Then I thought I'd double check because I didn't see a colored tip. I did pick it up and remove it from the road and laid it in the grass. Probably shouldn't have, but I did. There were also live rounds laying in the street, there's a couple on the right side of the picture. Called 911, they sent an officer to pick it up. The dispatcher asked me to describe myself so the officer could find me, I was like well I'm a cyclist standing on the side of the road. She was like no, what are you wearing... I was like SPANDEX, a helmet, I've got a blinky light and all!!!

Quote Reply

Prev Next