Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hydrodynamics and rotation [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure that example holds. A ship presents much less frontal area than a barge...it is much more streamlined. The human body is the human body no matter what position it is in.

Just thought of something else...if your example were true...why aren't submarines tall and skinny?

Spot
Because none of the submarine (in its submerged state) is sticking out of the water and it's not meant to float.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrodynamics and rotation [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Aztec, if you want to become a better swimmer, it might help to listen to good swimmers/coaches so you can learn what to do as opposed to constantly trying to disagree with what they are saying regarding freestyle stroke mechanics. Maybe the fact that you can only get an extra inch (doing the "face the wall" exercise) means you need to work on flexibility and hip rotation.

Oh, I listen. I just question whether these good swimmers/coaches really know what they are talking about (no offense intended to anyone), or whether they just happen to be successful and have incorrect explanations for why. Of course, the tricky part is when good swimmers/coaches disagree with each other on some of these very basic ideas. What's a novice to do?! :-)

As for the flexibility, actually I have pretty good flexibility. And definitely too much rotation, as told to me by both a TI coach, a top tri coach (originally an elite swimmer) and an Olympian. I've worked to reduce it.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrodynamics and rotation [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some people here are completely missing the poing of the way freestyle works. During the catch of the left arm, the right arm is out of the water in the recovery phase. Most of the right shoulder is out of the water. The left shoulder at the same time is rotated forward and towards the centerline of the body. This movement of the left shoulder allows you the swimmer to engage the larger muscle groups of the back to begin the pull; however, this position is much more hydrodynamic due to a much smaller frontal area.

Stretch your arm right out in front of you now, so your shoulder touches part of your jaw/chin. Notice how much the edge of your shoulder has moved to the centerline of the body. This change in position is what enables you to acheive a move hydrodynamic position. Hydrodyanamic improvements are not the principle reasons for rotation, rather they are byproducts of rotation.

OK, I think I see your point a little better now (and Doug's as well, where he says the shoulder moves forward). What is really happening is not forward shoulder rotation, but rather a shoulder shrug (Doug has used this word before as well, and now it makes more sense). This is a one-sided shrug and tilts your shoulder girdle. Trying this move on the "facing the wall" test, I get maybe 3" of extra reach rather than 1".

Now, I *never* get that jaw-to-shoulder rub that some have said leaves them scuffed. At my next swim, I'll try that shoulder tilt reach and see what happens.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Re: Hydrodynamics and rotation [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you are "getting it" more! Imagine going from worst swimmer on forum in '04 to a solid MOPer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys, this is the pitfall of the internet. Lots of information and misinformation flowing around and the reader has to try and make some informed conclusion. I'm buying the following:
  1. Everything that Doug Stern says
  2. Molecules in a fluid will try and move around the fluid, not under it where there is a larger pressure differential
  3. Rotating makes us longer and more narrower with half the body outside the water, vs when flat, you have most of the body under water.
  4. Rotating allows us to use the large muscle groups more effectively

Finally, it is not the frontal area presented to the fluid alone that matters. Its the ratio of the frontal area to the overall length of the vessel. Frontal area being equal, my understanding is that the longer vessel will be quicker. So hip rotation not only gets your narrower up front, with half your body flowing through air instead of water, but also longer, while allowing you to use bigger muscles.

Aztec, I have no clue what you are doing, but there may be many other factors that are enabling your to swim faster while flat than rotated. I suspect that you need to get a coach to look at you live and restart your swim stroke from square 1. There is a chance that you are overthinking things and perhaps simply letting the body go is all that is needed. I do know that when some people rotate (I do this myself), my legs go out of synch and I fishtail. Swimming flat might mean no fishtailing, so you are going quicker. There may be other things going on. Only a live coach will be able to pick things apart.

As slowman said, there is a high cost to good form. There may be a chance that you just need more swim miles before you can implement some of the finer features of good form too.

things apart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now, I *never* get that jaw-to-shoulder rub that some have said leaves them scuffed. At my next swim, I'll try that shoulder tilt reach and see what happens.

Put your left arm over your head pointing with your fingers to the ceiling reaching as high as possible. Now look up to your fingers. Is you chin touching your left shoulder yet ???
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrodynamics and rotation [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Guys, this is the pitfall of the internet. Lots of information and misinformation flowing around and the reader has to try and make some informed conclusion. I'm buying the following:
  1. Everything that Doug Stern says
  2. Molecules in a fluid will try and move around the fluid, not under it where there is a larger pressure differential
  3. Rotating makes us longer and more narrower with half the body outside the water, vs when flat, you have most of the body under water.
  4. Rotating allows us to use the large muscle groups more effectively

Finally, it is not the frontal area presented to the fluid alone that matters. Its the ratio of the frontal area to the overall length of the vessel. Frontal area being equal, my understanding is that the longer vessel will be quicker. So hip rotation not only gets your narrower up front, with half your body flowing through air instead of water, but also longer, while allowing you to use bigger muscles.

Aztec, I have no clue what you are doing, but there may be many other factors that are enabling your to swim faster while flat than rotated. I suspect that you need to get a coach to look at you live and restart your swim stroke from square 1. There is a chance that you are overthinking things and perhaps simply letting the body go is all that is needed. I do know that when some people rotate (I do this myself), my legs go out of synch and I fishtail. Swimming flat might mean no fishtailing, so you are going quicker. There may be other things going on. Only a live coach will be able to pick things apart.

As slowman said, there is a high cost to good form. There may be a chance that you just need more swim miles before you can implement some of the finer features of good form too.

things apart

I'm about to go for more coaching, but I've had a good dose already. I don't make any *big* errors. Elbows high, tight kick, good body position. Catch needs improvement on the left side, and I need to balance out the timing of my two pulls, as well as learn to breathe on my right side. I don't crossover (though I can if I try :-)), my kick is smooth, feet are pretty flexible and pointed, one eye stays underwater for 75% of my breaths, etc. Point here is the obvious stuff is pretty well covered and OK.

Just to nitpick on some of the above... for your #3) we aren't much "longer" when rotated (well, at least I am not, as per the test mentioned above -- I'd be curious to see how others score), so the longer vessel thing doesn't really apply much. And we certainly aren't higher up the water. Even excellent (including Olympic -- I've seen this) swimmers sink some when on their sides. Try kicking flat, then kick on your side. Now, that said, don't swimmers kick underwater off the wall as long as allowed because they are faster when submerged? Not sure it matters whether we're up higher/lower in that case.

Quote Reply

Prev Next