Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Calling all Coggans [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It seems like you really just want pedal force, not torque. If you are exerting force on the pedals at a low to no speed, that has more of an isometric nature. And the faster you fire, it becomes more isokenetic. Torque is kind of irrelevant, because your body does not care if it is pushing against a short or long crank arm. It just knows it is firing muscles at a constant speed but variable force.

no, i think i want torque. because pedal force doesn't know if the crank is long or short, and pedal force x a shorter lever means i have to exert more pedal force, which impacts directly the cost on my muscles. i think what i want is torque.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
amateur or professional.

what i *think* i'd like is to know torque. to try riding according to torque. to try that out. or at least to see what that's like, to get a sense for what it feels like to ride with an eye on torque.

i don't see this as a lot different than riding by cadence. it's just the inverse. it'd be weird because if your torque is too low you slow down (your cadence). if your torque is too high you speed up your cadence.

i've never seen this as a metric that anyone has produced, used, referenced, i've never seen it as an output from a device. but maybe i just haven't been paying attention. anything out there on that?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5909309#p5909309 et seq.

(especially this one: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5909972#p5909972 )
Last edited by: RChung: Mar 20, 18 20:41
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Slowman wrote:
amateur or professional.

what i *think* i'd like is to know torque. to try riding according to torque. to try that out. or at least to see what that's like, to get a sense for what it feels like to ride with an eye on torque.

i don't see this as a lot different than riding by cadence. it's just the inverse. it'd be weird because if your torque is too low you slow down (your cadence). if your torque is too high you speed up your cadence.

i've never seen this as a metric that anyone has produced, used, referenced, i've never seen it as an output from a device. but maybe i just haven't been paying attention. anything out there on that?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5909309#p5909309 et seq.

(especially this one: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5909972#p5909972 )

Not only do I not remember that, I participated and still don’t remember it. Thank you. It took me 2 years to catch up to just a little of your thinking in that thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
since power is torque x cadence, if we measure cadence and we think it's beneficial, why is torque not? for example - and i'm sort of talking out my ass, but bear with me as i make something up - let's say that a goal is fiber recruitment up to a particular point. maybe to the point where my type 1 fibers are fully recruited, but no big reliance on type 2 recruitment during a contraction (a pedal cycle). let's say you determine that this point was reached while producing so many foot pounds through exhaled gases, or through lactate accumulation. whatever.

why isn't torque a better measure of fiber recruitment than cadence? and, mind, i had to think up some bullshit in a hurry to establish a point.

Isn't this basically the point (or one of them) Brett Sutton is trying to make when he advocates low-cadence riding for an Ironman? You ride an IM bike leg at a lower power than a 40k straight TT, he says, so proportionally your cadence should be lower. If a trained pro rides at ~100-105rpm for a 40k TT, the average AG athlete would be better off riding at ~75rpm. If you think about it, what he says is "change cadence, don't change torque" - or rather, change it less. Of course it's not quite keeping torque the same, but minimizing the difference.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
It seems like you really just want pedal force, not torque. If you are exerting force on the pedals at a low to no speed, that has more of an isometric nature. And the faster you fire, it becomes more isokenetic. Torque is kind of irrelevant, because your body does not care if it is pushing against a short or long crank arm. It just knows it is firing muscles at a constant speed but variable force.

no, i think i want torque. because pedal force doesn't know if the crank is long or short, and pedal force x a shorter lever means i have to exert more pedal force, which impacts directly the cost on my muscles. i think what i want is torque.

OK... it was this statement of yours that led me to suggest pedal force "why isn't torque a better measure of fiber recruitment than cadence." Muscle force, and rate of applied muscle force would be the thing tied to muscle fiber recruitment. Torque is just a secondary calculation of how that force is applied within the external system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like there’s a connect iq data field for average torque with configurable time period (in seconds) just like power - https://apps.garmin.com/...e9-a619-78ec6c83b031

I haven’t tried it, just searched for it. Honestly if it wasn’t there I was going to see how hard it would be to write one of my own.

I’m interested to see what you find out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if l understand your question.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're just changing what you're looking at. Instead of power and cadence you're swapping that for just looking at torque and having to engage your brain muscle to do the work on deciding what to do with that information.

That's how you learn your gear changes. You get used to what it feels like at 90rpm or 100rpm for a given exertion level. It starts feeling different, your brain moves your hand to the shifter. Even without staring at a power meter.

This just seems like a mental exercise to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
I am a flickering candle to Coggan's acetylene torch, but.... We already seem to have really good internal torque sensors. We innately are very good at knowing when to shift. And innately are very good at metering out torque to achieve a power. I don't see what would be achieved by looking at a torque value.

well, look, i'm just spitballing here. but, to answer your question, because i don't think we're as good as you think we are at sensing torque or, if we are, we pretty routinely, habitually, ignore our bodies' signals regarding when to shift.
I have cadence displayed on my bike computer because although I know what feels right, it's easy to drift away from that under various circumstances without realising it so long as the drift is gradual. If my legs are struggling but I'm not breathing terribly hard and I glance at the screen and see 65rpm, I'll instantly realise why and after a quick gear change normality is restored. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.
The problem in this case is not the cadence, it's the pedal force or torque. Since the cranks are a fixed length, pedal force and torque are directly proportional on a given bike so we don't need to differentiate at this point. As you say, we don't typically look at torque. And I'd agree that the reason is likely because it wasn't available until power was. However providing you have power I don't see much use in it.
Power tells you about total output energy and total propulsion. Torque only gives you a piece. Torque or cadence provides additional data about the manner in which you're producing the power but I think either will do, and having both adds nothing. Typically at lower power we balance cadence and torque so that both are within comfortable limits. The two are inextricably linked. For example, at low power I don't just drop the pedal load compared to a harder effort, I also drop the cadence because without the pedal load I'm less stable and more likely to bounce in the saddle. Also an unnecessarily high cadence expends unnecessary energy on body movement that contributes nothing extra to propulsion. Similarly at high power I will tend increase both load and cadence.
So long as I know power and comfortable cadence, I don't think I have much use for a torque figure. Not because torque is irrelevant but because it's already included in the relationship of the figures I'm looking at.

Lastly, torque being highly variable throughout the stroke and likely depending also on position and fatigue, lends itself less readily to useful monitoring. Oh, and cadence is much more intuitive and easily observed without a number. We often will know it's fast or slow just by the rhythm. No?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Not only do I not remember that, I participated and still don’t remember it. Thank you. It took me 2 years to catch up to just a little of your thinking in that thread.

In one of the posts in that thread I showed three plots. Two of those plots came from something I wrote in around 2003 about power, cadence, and crank torque. http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/...ents/components.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

No. What you want is pedal force and tangential foot speed. You can vary crank length all you want, and your body will basically hold those constant for a given effort. This is easily seen in Pedal Force vs. Tangential Foot Speed plots (AKA "Quadrant Analysis). (see link below). "Torque" is just a derived value. You just have to make sure you have the correct gearing range for the given equipment choice.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...erwithin-reason.html

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Slowman wrote:

In one of the posts in that thread I showed three plots. Two of those plots came from something I wrote in around 2003 about power, cadence, and crank torque. http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/...ents/components.html

you're way ahead of the game.

stipulating that i'm ignorant slut, and know basically nothing more than what i glean from saturday morning TV cartoons, it occurred to me to ride - as a thought experiment - according to fiber recruitment during the power phase of the pedal stroke. or as close to fiber recruitment as i could get to it.

cadence is sort of the inverse of that. torque speaks directly that.

it's not that i think this is the magic bullet; that now i know how to ride. it's that with the move indoors, and indoors with purpose, with metrics, rather than by videos of greg's '89 tour, there is the capacity to experiment. if there is a workout whereby, for example, there is a step progression, say, 1min @ 80, 90, 100, 110, 120 percent of FTP for a minute each then 4min @ 60 percent, repeat it, what if that workout was done while trying to keep torque constant, except that you don't exceed an unsustainable cadence (as regards efficiency), which i think jim martin and others have decided is around 115? so, maybe, you step your cadence up to 105 and then you just let the torque build if that's what's required, otherwise, anything between, say, 65 and 105 is fair game, but torque rules how you do the workout. what would you learn? anything? i don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Mar 21, 18 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

No. What you want is pedal force and tangential foot speed. You can vary crank length all you want, and your body will basically hold those constant for a given effort. This is easily seen in Pedal Force vs. Tangential Foot Speed plots (AKA "Quadrant Analysis). (see link below). "Torque" is just a derived value. You just have to make sure you have the correct gearing range for the given equipment choice.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...erwithin-reason.html

Depends. Most of us use crank lengths within a small range, so if you have one you can pretty closely get the other. The one really notable exception I can think of is when Indurain used 190mm cranks for his hour record. Compared to other hour record holders, his position on the foot speed/pedal force plane looked different than his position when plotted on cadence/crank torque axies.

But, with that exception, in general I agree that muscle shortening speed is the underlying physiological limitation. The problem I faced when I first started looking at this stuff was that I didn't have crank length from many of the people I was getting data from, so all I could look at was cadence and torque. As long as most riders use roughly the same crank length across their different bikes the difference won't much matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

As others have said, torque may not be a super meaningful value for this activity (cycling).

Imagine two scenarios, kind of a thought experiment:

(1) You get on a bike and put a huge amount of force on your pedals with 150mm cranks and get a resultant torque value of 'X' (as measured at the BB).

(1) You get on a similar bike and put a much lighter force on your pedals, only this time with 200mm cranks and also get a resultant torque value of 'X' (as measured at the BB).

These things will feel vastly different for your body, and yet the torque values are identical.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am guessing you can find this in various Power Meter Apps. For example, this page shows a screenshot of the stages app with Torque displayed:

https://stagescycling.com/...th-updated-firmware/

I am guessing it is not displayed in a workout mode, but perhaps under device settings or calibration.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
I am guessing you can find this in various Power Meter Apps. For example, this page shows a screenshot of the stages app with Torque displayed:

https://stagescycling.com/...th-updated-firmware/

I am guessing it is not displayed in a workout mode, but perhaps under device settings or calibration.

it would be easy for the PM to offer it, because the PM already knows it. your head unit could display it in any case, because its power over cadence, two known figures. the question is whether i'd learn anything by tethering my efforts to torque.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea whether torque is a useful metric, but I remember years ago Arnie Baker's book HIT for Cyclists had a chapter on torque-based training and prescribed workouts by (among other things) torque.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it's that with the move indoors, and indoors with purpose, with metrics, rather than by videos of greg's '89 tour, there is the capacity to experiment. if there is a workout whereby, for example, there is a step progression, say, 1min @ 80, 90, 100, 110, 120 percent of FTP for a minute each then 4min @ 60 percent, repeat it, what if that workout was done while trying to keep torque constant, except that you don't exceed an unsustainable cadence (as regards efficiency), which i think jim martin and others have decided is around 115? so, maybe, you step your cadence up to 105 and then you just let the torque build if that's what's required, otherwise, anything between, say, 65 and 105 is fair game, but torque rules how you do the workout. what would you learn? anything? i don't know.

I wrote a tiny bit about indoor trainers here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5910037#p5910037
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some PM output "torque effectiveness" as a left %/right% (but NOT summing to 100%). Any idea what that's about?

ETA this example is from Garmin Vector metrics

Last edited by: velox canis: Mar 21, 18 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
MattyK wrote:
I suppose they don't display it because it's not a useful metric?

right. thank you. so, i think what where we've gotten to in this thread is that, yes, torque is a direct measure. you can't generate a true power number without measuring torque. so, is torque a useful metric?

why not? we're all highly influenced by cadence in our cycling. i think that's largely out of habit and history. we never could measure torque in cycling, until recently. now we can. but we could always measure cadence. so we did.

since power is torque x cadence, if we measure cadence and we think it's beneficial, why is torque not? for example - and i'm sort of talking out my ass, but bear with me as i make something up - let's say that a goal is fiber recruitment up to a particular point. maybe to the point where my type 1 fibers are fully recruited, but no big reliance on type 2 recruitment during a contraction (a pedal cycle). let's say you determine that this point was reached while producing so many foot pounds through exhaled gases, or through lactate accumulation. whatever.

why isn't torque a better measure of fiber recruitment than cadence? and, mind, i had to think up some bullshit in a hurry to establish a point.

I've been thinking about this some lately. Studies show that there is aetabolic cost associated with pedalling at higher cadence's at a given power. Likely because you are having to move the mass of your feet and legs more while putting the same amount t of power (or, over time, energy) into the pedals. But many riders and coaches prefer "higher" cadence. Meaning high 80s or 90s. I'm one of those. So why is that better?

Maybe there is a study on this, but my hypothesis is that the extra metabolic cost is easier to maintain over time than the extra muscle fatigue from exerting a higher force on the pedals at lower cadence. (I agree with the above poster that force would be a more useful measurement than torque since it eliminates the influence of crank length and isolates just what your body is doing).

So knowing force could be useful. It could help in objective gearing selection. It could help maybe with identifying how your body prefers to work in different kinds of efforts (short vs. long, flat vs steep where inertia is different).

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Slowman wrote:
MattyK wrote:
I suppose they don't display it because it's not a useful metric?

right. thank you. so, i think what where we've gotten to in this thread is that, yes, torque is a direct measure. you can't generate a true power number without measuring torque. so, is torque a useful metric?

why not? we're all highly influenced by cadence in our cycling. i think that's largely out of habit and history. we never could measure torque in cycling, until recently. now we can. but we could always measure cadence. so we did.

I've been thinking about this some lately. Studies show that there is aetabolic cost associated with pedalling at higher cadence's at a given power. Likely because you are having to move the mass of your feet and legs more while putting the same amount t of power (or, over time, energy) into the pedals. But many riders and coaches prefer "higher" cadence. Meaning high 80s or 90s. I'm one of those. So why is that better?

Maybe there is a study on this, but my hypothesis is that the extra metabolic cost is easier to maintain over time than the extra muscle fatigue from exerting a higher force on the pedals at lower cadence. (I agree with the above poster that force would be a more useful measurement than torque since it eliminates the influence of crank length and isolates just what your body is doing).

So knowing force could be useful. It could help in objective gearing selection. It could help maybe with identifying how your body prefers to work in different kinds of efforts (short vs. long, flat vs steep where inertia is different).

there absolutely is a metabolic cost to a higher cadence. your HR will go up if your cadence goes up and your power remains the same. you're picking your poison here. you want to pay an aerobic cost or a glycolitic cost? does this change depending on your own muscle constitution?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out PowerTap's P1 advanced pedal metrics that show force. These are not ideal, because they do not also show rate of application of the pedal forces. And, they are not easy to quickly consume while riding, but they are pretty good. This gets to the crux of understanding what your body is doing and how rapidly it is doing it. If you got used to watching and studying your individual pedal force dynamics, you could train and ride to that, probably far more effectively than power. It is just that the world is oriented around power as the single composite metric.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right or wrong, I generally ride at a constant torque (feel). More power = Higher cadence. I believe part of it has to do with being subconsciously easier to pedal smoothly with more force on the pedals but also just consciously spinning faster at higher power to protect the old knees. I've also graphed torque as something of an RPE / strength check when I find my cadence was down but force felt easy.

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I am lost as to why you would want to use torque rather than force in your given scenarios. When measuring torque, you are taking into consideration the entire machine. Your muscles don't care what gear you are in or your crank length. They just know how hard and how often they are pushing on the pedal.

Am I way off on this? Is torque perceived by the body differently than force?

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
Slowman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I am lost as to why you would want to use torque rather than force in your given scenarios. When measuring torque, you are taking into consideration the entire machine. Your muscles don't care what gear you are in or your crank length. They just know how hard and how often they are pushing on the pedal.

Am I way off on this? Is torque perceived by the body differently than force?

i guess i'm ambivalent. i hear you. i don't know that there's a practical difference given, as rchung stated, that there really is not that much difference between crank lengths for the purposes of torque (yes, for the purposes of range of motion, less for torque).

but, yeah, if power = torque x cadence and max torque = force x lever arm when that force is perpendicular to the lever arm? something like that? then, yes, i could see how force is what i'm after.

the reason i kind of like torque, tho, is that i know power, and i know cadence. i don't know torque. as a cycling metric. so, i'd like to see how torque and cadence act, inversely. i see your point. but i don't think it would be that different looking at force versus torque, and what is certain is that i can have torque easily from any device i own with pretty little extra work from that device maker.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next