Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's?
Quote | Reply
Have you tried any of the magnetic race bib clips? Racedots or other?

Do they work well? I've read some mixed reviews (such as they slip or malfunction otherwise). Have you had any success with them?

I can't stand using baby pins, and it's ridiculous that we use such modern gear and still stick pins through our skinsuits to hold a race bib on. Hoping there is some solution that doesn't suck? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:
http://nopinz.com

Thank you, that's a great solution for less aero drag, but in the TT's in my area, racers are required to have the number sideways down the right side of your back facing the timing stand as you go by.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get the NoPinz speed pocket put wherever you like. They also do one time use pockets that stick to your current skinsuit (might have to message them for it).
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
You can get the NoPinz speed pocket put wherever you like. They also do one time use pockets that stick to your current skinsuit (might have to message them for it).

I was wondering about that! Now, that's pretty cool. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is a better example of "white people problems" I would love to know it.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [TryScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TryScott wrote:
If there is a better example of "white people problems" I would love to know it.

Haha! I prefer to say "First World Problems", but potato-potahtoh. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of tape products out there.
One is TNR tape, I haven't used it so can't give an opinion. There was also Racer Tape a few years ago. Talked to that guy and one problem was that USAC rules actually call for pins.
I did buy a set of something like event clips for about $5. Plastic pieces that worked ok for running, but popped off trying to get the number smooth on a cycling jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Talked to that guy and one problem was that USAC rules actually call for pins.

I don't think you received correct information. The word "pin" doesn't appear in the entire USAC rulebook. Racing numbers are addressed in 1J7 in the 2017 regulations. I believe a race director can require pins.

3M spray works great in cyclocross and time trials without leaving much residue if you let it get tacky before attaching it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Thank you, that's a great solution for less aero drag, but in the TT's in my area, racers are required to have the number sideways down the right side of your back facing the timing stand as you go by.

Common practice and extremely retarded. Just take a picture (or look) after they go by.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Super D wrote:

Common practice and extremely retarded. Just take a picture (or look) after they go by.

Agreed, simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're correct. Pins are no longer required. Not sure when the rule changed, but they were required when I had an officials license.

I used to use the 3m 77 spray as well and pinned each corner just to follow the rule, but I haven't raced since 2016.

The rule does say hip numbers have to be attached at all for corners and that Local Associations may impose additional numbers requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
3M spray works great in cyclocross and time trials without leaving much residue if you let it get tacky before attaching it.

So basically, spray the back of the number bib (and no need for any on the suit itself?), let it sit for a minute, then have somebody press it on in position on your back/side while you're on the bike in your riding position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:

I've always thought this was ridiculous. I'm all for making officials lives easier, but whenever I've timed a race it was so easy to pick racers that it doesn't matter where the numbers are.

TTs are so easy to time, it should only require one guy with a spreadsheet and results should be available immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Works surprisingly well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
dangle wrote:

So basically, spray the back of the number bib (and no need for any on the suit itself?), let it sit for a minute, then have somebody press it on in position on your back/side while you're on the bike in your riding position?

Pretty much. I usually do a real light spray to cover the entire thing and then a couple minutes later do the same thing again. Tap it a couple times to make sure it's tacky, but no residue on your finger, then press it to the jersey. The only time it has left residue is when I put it on while it's wet instead of tacky.

Set the can on the number while it dries because they like to blow away and stick to things they shouldn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Super D wrote:
dangle wrote:

Pretty much. I usually do a real light spray to cover the entire thing and then a couple minutes later do the same thing again. Tap it a couple times to make sure it's tacky, but no residue on your finger, then press it to the jersey. The only time it has left residue is when I put it on while it's wet instead of tacky.

Set the can on the number while it dries because they like to blow away and stick to things they shouldn't.

That's a great tip, thank you. I could just imagine the bib blowing away and sticking to a tree trunk, a car, the face of an unsuspecting walker-by or something else equally comedic, just when you're trying to get ready to go warm up before the race. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
dangle wrote:

That's a great tip, thank you. I could just imagine the bib blowing away and sticking to a tree trunk, a car, the face of an unsuspecting walker-by or something else equally comedic, just when you're trying to get ready to go warm up before the race. :D

Totally. It's always windy on TT days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, safety pins are an ancient and archaic way of attaching bib numbers for cycling and running. They are tricky and prickly to put on, and often damage/ruin the garment that you are putting them on!

A better solution - BibBoards - https://www.bibboards.com/

If you are interested in knowing more, please contact me.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTs are so easy to time, it should only require one guy with a spreadsheet and results should be available immediately.

Yes - Our club uses an App for it's weekly ITT Series in the spring/summer. Don't know what it's called, but they run the ITT's every week for about 25 - 35 people, with minimum 2 people - one to start, and one at the turn (they are all out-and-back courses, and it's an extra bonus if there is an extra hand to help with spotting etc . .

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Do they work with skinsuits? Annoying to put holes in a not cheap skinsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
You're correct. Pins are no longer required. Not sure when the rule changed, but they were required when I had an officials license.

I used to use the 3m 77 spray as well and pinned each corner just to follow the rule, but I haven't raced since 2016.

The rule does say hip numbers have to be attached at all for corners and that Local Associations may impose additional numbers requirements.

This!
had been using this spray for years and yes, if you apply it wet it will leave a residue. Let it dry /get tacky and it works great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Super D wrote:
dangle wrote:

Do you still need to use pins on the corners if you spray it twice?
Quote Reply
Re: Magnetic Race Bib Clips - recommended, or no good for TT's? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
dangle wrote:
Super D wrote:
dangle wrote:

Do you still need to use pins on the corners if you spray it twice?

No. I have never had a number budge using the spray method.
Quote Reply