Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
It's amazing that people are so anti-gay, but infidelity, multiple divorces and sexual harassment...no big deal.

Who is saying it's no big deal?

The silence is deafening. Mike pence to start.
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I agree that any evangelical that tries to explain this away "should" lose all credibility.

The evangelicals who voted for Trump and have looked past his past and current behavior lost credibility a long time ago.

I think most evangelicals voted for Trump feeling he was the lesser of two evils. No one has ever accused Donald of exemplifying biblical values.
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
I agree that any evangelical that tries to explain this away "should" lose all credibility.

The evangelicals who voted for Trump and have looked past his past and current behavior lost credibility a long time ago.

I think most evangelicals voted for Trump feeling he was the lesser of two evils. No one has ever accused Donald of exemplifying biblical values.

When it comes to politics, evangelicals are simply anti-abortion. Little else matters and certainly not what Trump did years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
It's amazing that people are so anti-gay, but infidelity, multiple divorces and sexual harassment...no big deal.

Who is saying it is? the evangelical base has been awfully quiet....

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Perseus wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

They usually justify it with this:

http://www.dictionary.com/...cast-the-first-stone
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Already off of FoxNews homepage after they ran it early this AM with the headline "WH calms the waters". Hahahhahaha.

-
It's there now, maybe just because there is a plausible explanation, but there none the less.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/14/michael-cohen-trumps-lawyer-says-paid-stormy-daniels-130000-out-own-pocket.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most evangelicals voted for Trump feeling he was the lesser of two evils.

Evangelicals always talked about values and how important it was to vote for someone who believed in God and had the family values that were so important to them. Mitt Romney had a struggle because he was Mormon and there was question if he shared their beliefs.

I have never heard an evangelical say to vote for the lesser of 2 evils, it was all about taking a stand and not compromising. They have looked sideways at everything Trump has done, remaining largely silent and offering only the slightest of criticism when the tapes were released.

They are hypocrites.
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Perseus that evangelicals had a choice to make between the lesser of two evils. As distasteful as Trump is, I can see him still being an easy choice over Hillary.

That being said, I would like to hear some of the mainstream evangelical voices being honest about him, or at least be quiet. Come to think about it, I've said that I prefer that preachers be silent on politics - so maybe some of them actually are.
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Perseus wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

They usually justify it with this:

http://www.dictionary.com/...cast-the-first-stone

Maybe they could find a happy medium between stoning him and making him president.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:
rob2681 wrote:
An important fact remains that he made the payment right at the exact time that the “grab ‘em by the pussy” tape came out.

Huckabee, Graham, Pence and all the other evangelicals will dismiss this also. POS hypocrites all.

And? So?

Do you think anyone who voted for Trump gives a shit?

I make no claims to be a campaign finance expert. But this brings up a lot of FEC questions around in kind contributions, etc.

That's why he made the statement: possible violation of FEC laws.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'm more interested to see if the Trump voters who were shrieking about Hillary's mishandling classified information can find one fuck to give about the security clearance issues rampant in this administration.

Kidding, obviously. Of course they won't.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

I'm more interested to see if the Trump voters who were shrieking about Hillary's mishandling classified information can find one fuck to give about the security clearance issues rampant in this administration.

Nope. Not even a little bit.

Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Someday an invoice will surface showing $130,000 payment to the lawyer from trump but for something totally unrelated, of course!

Something that might shake out in one's tax returns. But who really wants to see those anyway.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

Gay marriage ruins the sanctity of marriage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I think most evangelicals voted for Trump feeling he was the lesser of two evils.

Evangelicals always talked about values and how important it was to vote for someone who believed in God and had the family values that were so important to them. Mitt Romney had a struggle because he was Mormon and there was question if he shared their beliefs.

I have never heard an evangelical say to vote for the lesser of 2 evils, it was all about taking a stand and not compromising. They have looked sideways at everything Trump has done, remaining largely silent and offering only the slightest of criticism when the tapes were released.

They are hypocrites.
I'm guessing you don't spend much time with evangelicals.
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
copy / paste from a smart friend:

"...let’s see what he didn’t say that the press are glomming onto:
In talking about the FEC complaint that he facilitated a payment from the Trump campaign to Ms. Daniels, he very carefully does not deny the truth of that allegation but says “the allegations in the complaint are factually unsupported and without legal merit”. This only addresses the papers that were filed, not the actual complaint.
Later he says:
“In a private transaction in 2016, I used my own personal funds to facilitate a payment of $130,000 to Ms. Stephanie Clifford. Neither the Trump Organization nor the Trump campaign was a party to the transaction with Ms. Clifford, and neither reimbursed me for the payment, either directly or indirectly”
“My own personal funds to “facilitate” a payment of $130k”
Now, that could mean he paid the $130 out of the goodness of his heart and Trump didn’t have anything to do with it. It does not state that he paid the $130. He paid funds to facilitate. That could mean he paid the transaction fees to set up the LLC that paid the money, and it could have been Trump’s money or his campaign’s money. Which makes more sense?
“Neither the Trump Organization nor the Trump campaign was a party to the transaction with Ms. Clifford”
From the reporting we already knew that was true. Cohen, as he admits in his statement, set up an LLC which was the counterparty (payer) to the transaction. People want to read his statement broadly to include the transaction of the money being paid to the LLC - he didn’t say that, and he should be asked about that. This also is not a statement saying Trump or his campaign didn’t pay the money.
“(Trump) neither reimbursed me for the payment, either directly or indirectly”
But, here he means the payment to facilitate, so should that not mean Cohen paid the $130k, but instead said “I’ll pick up the transaction fees”, and then Trump didn’t reimburse him for that, this would still be a factually true statement.
These are smart people (the lawyers). Don’t think it’s far fetched to parse a lawyer’s language, especially if it looks carefully crafted."

So an LLC was formed in 2016 and it made the payment. This leaves a trail and more questions.

Who are the members of the LLC? If it was Trump, then there is a problem. If it was the attorney, then the Q is where did the $130K come from and how did he treat it on the tax return filed (presumably) in 2017? Was it a capital contribution by the attorney? Was it a loan from someone else? Was the payment treated as a deductible expense, for uh, services rendered?
Last edited by: Harbinger: Feb 14, 18 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Already off of FoxNews homepage after they ran it early this AM with the headline "WH calms the waters". Hahahhahaha.

-
It's there now, maybe just because there is a plausible explanation, but there none the less.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/14/michael-cohen-trumps-lawyer-says-paid-stormy-daniels-130000-out-own-pocket.html

Still nowhere to be found on mobile site homepage. which definition are you using?

"(of an argument or statement) seeming reasonable or probable."

Definitely not reasoble in I did nothing wrong sense. Definitely probable.

"(of a person) skilled at producing persuasive arguments, especially ones intended to deceive."

Absofuckinglutely spot on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I try to keep my distance now but I am a Christian and attended a pretty conservative evangelical church in the U.S for 5 years. I'm pretty clear on what I heard in my men's groups about standing up for convictions against "liberal" politicians who want to destroy the fabric of the country with the erosion of family values. I'm pretty sure I haven't been sleeping for the last 40 years.

The evangelical silence on Trump is a disgrace.

Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

Well it appears that Trey Gowdy does. He sent this letter to John Kelly today, asking all the questions the WH has so far avoided answering.
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Feb 14, 18 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I agree with Perseus that evangelicals had a choice to make between the lesser of two evils. As distasteful as Trump is, I can see him still being an easy choice over Hillary.

That being said, I would like to hear some of the mainstream evangelical voices being honest about him, or at least be quiet. Come to think about it, I've said that I prefer that preachers be silent on politics - so maybe some of them actually are.

If only there had been 16 other options prior to the general election that they could have got behind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I try to keep my distance now but I am a Christian and attended a pretty conservative evangelical church in the U.S for 5 years. I'm pretty clear on what I heard in my men's groups about standing up for convictions against "liberal" politicians who want to destroy the fabric of the country with the erosion of family values. I'm pretty sure I haven't been sleeping for the last 40 years.

I'm frequently astounded by how many comments I see on news stories, Facebook posts etc with the theme that Trump was somehow sent from God to save America. The guy embodies sleaze (always has, IMO, even before he ran for President) and some of the worst human behaviours and qualities - most of which are in direct conflict with supposed Christian principles and teachings - yet these people view him as their saviour. Fucking baffling.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The evangelical silence on Trump is tolerance.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I'm frequently astounded by how many comments I see on news stories, Facebook posts etc with the theme that Trump was somehow sent from God to save America. The guy embodies sleaze (always has, IMO, even before he ran for President) and some of the worst human behaviours and qualities - most of which are in direct conflict with supposed Christian principles and teachings - yet these people view him as their saviour. Fucking baffling.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Quote Reply
Re: Because lawyers always make $130,000 payments for their clients [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

It would be nice if once in a while his plot lines made sense. This one has more holes in it than Lost.

Quote Reply

Prev Next