Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I have pondered a driver experience day with an instructor BUT the prospect of some clown believing they are Lewis hamilton and destroying my car - which would not be insured - terrifies me. Better to rent a track car me thinks.
If your car is hurt, it will be on you. Car on car incidents at drivers education events are almost unheard of.

Also, different tracks have different risks. Tracks with lots of walls collect a lot more cars than tracks with few walls. If I was selecting my first Driver's Education event, I'd do it a track that was perceived as especially forgiving. Road Atlanta is not a forgiving track.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be goodwood, Silverstone, brands hatch or oulton park..........

Or nurburgring but only in a rental;)
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Re: Springs: that's funny. In SM we consider our springs to be soft. I was having a coaching session with a semi-pro driver one time. He was telling me "you really have to turn the wheel hard because the SM springs are so soft that you have to be really aggressive with the car to get the weight to transfer quickly." SM is still where its at!

I looked up SpecMiata front springs, which ought to be comparable since we both have McPherson struts. You've got 700 lb/in in front. The only suspension I really know is our own, so I don't have much context for that. But given the low weight of your car, 700 lb/in seems pretty down stout to me. We're going from 315 lb/in to 525 lb/in, so 66% more stiff. Our rear springs are also getting stouter, but the change is less dramatic.

If we put on 700 lb/in springs, I wonder if our strut towers would handle the peak loads. We're already kinda wary of what 525 lb/in might do. We bang our cars over curbing all the time. I've never really noticed how much of that sort of thing the Miatas do. Less I imagine or the car would get pretty unsettled?

Not so much for Tom but for everyone. A 700 lb/in spring deflects one inch for every 700lbs you put on it.

The OEM front spring on a 1987-91 BMW 325i is 118 lb/in. The 315 /b/in that we're walking away from would be very unpleasant in a street car.....brutal on any imperfect road surface.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 17, 18 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point of note. The miata does not have struts, it's double a-arms on all 4 corners. We run adjustable bilsteen coil over dampeners with the springs. We have had issues in the early days with shocks punching through the tower. It was really punching through the hat because the shock pushrod washer wasn't strong enough and would fold. That was solved with a modified shock hat a long time ago. Banging curbs is not an issue for the suspension.

We all run 99 hats and the fat cat bump stop kit today regardless of the model of the car.

The amount of curbing a driver takes depends on the rear end setup. We are allowed 4 different diffs: open, viscous lsd, torsen lsd, clutch pack lsd (90-93 only). Both the open and viscous lsd generally make better lap times by keeping the inner rear on the ground. Clutch packs almost always bang the curbs. The torsen behaves like an open when a wheel is off the ground, so it is a bit of a mix and takes trial and error to find the faster approach at a new track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Not so much for Tom but for everyone. A 700 lb/in spring deflects one inch for every 700lbs you put on it.

The OEM front spring on a 1987-91 BMW 325i is 118 lb/in. The 315 /b/in that we're walking away from would be very unpleasant in a street car.....brutal on any imperfect road surface.

I will add that I have a total of 3/4" of suspension travel between the shock body and the bump stop on all 4 corners. I live in the country and do go out for test drives sometimes. My roads suck, and it is definitely a bumpy ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Point of note. The miata does not have struts, it's double a-arms on all 4 corners. We run adjustable bilsteen coil over dampeners with the springs. We have had issues in the early days with shocks punching through the tower. It was really punching through the hat because the shock pushrod washer wasn't strong enough and would fold. That was solved with a modified shock hat a long time ago. Banging curbs is not an issue for the suspension.

Ah so. Then can't compare unless we know your effective spring rate. I did some poking around and found .72 for the Miata and .88 for us.

SpecMiata effective wheel rate 700(.72) is 504 lbs/in.

New SpecE30 effective wheel rate 525(.88) is 462 lbs/in
Old SpecE30 effective wheel rate 275(.88) is 242 lbs/in.

I'm told that one is unlikely to detect a change in springs of <50lbs/in, but I've no experience in that. If that's the case, our new springs will feel as stiff as yours, or almost so. But that ignores the fact that your car is 10% lighter. It's going to be awesome.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 13, 18 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great story--thanks for sharing it.

In HS and early college I had a MGB. I'm 6'5" but once i got in the damn thing it was fine--sort of like sitting in a fighter plane. When it ran it was great fun. My Dad and I pulled the engine and rebuilt it from the crankshaft out. I learned a LOT from my Dad during that father son bonding experience--like several new ways to string curse words together. The joys of the Lucas Electrical system and balancing dual carbs. Good times.

Pic of me and my brother with our respective rides at the time. My senior year in college I sold the MGB and bought a IHC Scout. I sure do miss that Scout--the MGB not so much

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
The value in the past few years for his Porsche has skyrocketed. He bought it for $40,000 about 12 years ago. Had it in the shop for a tune-up and the dealer offered him $160,000. The rate it keeps going up is crazy.
Goodness. My father bought his 1974 911 in 1978, spiffed it up a bit and left it to me in good running condition. It looks a bit like the one you posted and oftentimes people have offered to buy it. This car has been in my life for 38 years and I cannot see myself ever selling it.

Quote | Reply
Think you might want to get a valuation and check the insurance.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should check out Adrian Newey' s new autobiography...........

Genius
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I just had a weird thought. I live in a Philly suburb. The neighborhood is about 30 years old, 2200-2500 sq ft houses (mostly 2 story colonials), 4-5 bedrooms, most basements are finished, 2 car garages, 1/3 acre properties, culdesacs, probably 90+% college educated and 90+% families with children.

Wrong demographic for sports cars.

In Australia you'll find the most sports cars where all the miners work and live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
gregtryin wrote:
There is no question in my mind that the stage of life has a lot to do with it. I didn't marry until I was 39, so I went through tons of sports cars and 'sporty' cars. I was active in several car clubs including the SCCA, Porsche Club, Corvette Club, etc. Did lots of track events, autocrosses, and concours. By the time I was in my 30's, I was into higher end cars and ended up with a Ferrari F355. It was equipped with a full cage, fire system five point harnesses, etc. I went to the National Ferrari meet at Road Atlanta and flogged the car for three days on a high speed track. On the last day of the meet, I was in one of the unlimited speed sessions and there was a pretty serious crash right in front of me. The session was black flagged and I made my way back to the pits and pulled into my parking spot. As I pulled in, my wife was standing in front of me with my one year old son in her arms. I sat for a moment thinking about the fact that only minutes before I had been going 165mph right behind a guy that was almost killed passing me going into a chicane. Just for fun. This wasn't a sanctioned race, it was just a Ferrari Club event.

I put the car up for sale about six months later and sold it for $5,000 more than I had paid for it. I stopped doing track events, but I continued to buy lots of fast cars. As the years went by, they got bigger and slower. Now, I am driving an Alpina B7. Hardly a 'sports car', that's for sure. Regardless, I enjoy sports cars and all sorts of others for the engineering and sophistication of design as much as anything. I gave my wife a Mini Cooper with the John Cooper Works package 12 years ago and we STILL have that car. Wife loves it. When I gave it to her, my daughter was about 4 or 5 at the time and said that was the car she was going to drive when she got older. We laughed at the thought back then since we knew the car would be long gone by then. However, I spent the last six months teaching her to drive a stick in it, and it looks like she is going to get her wish! Maybe another sports car nut is being born...

Greg

That's a great point. I got into tracking cars >10yrs ago. It didn't take long to see the risks associated with high hp and the minimal safety associated with daily driver (DD) cars, as opposed to a "race prepped" car withe cage, race seat, 6pt harness, Head-n-Neck restraint, and fire suppression. It's still pretty darn rare for someone to get hurt on the track, so statistically, it's pretty darn safe. But it didn't take me long to get the DD off of the road and buy a low cost, low hp, vastly more safe, race prepped car.

I used to do a lot of instructing. I would not have been comfortable with in someone's high hp DD unless I had a lot of confidence that they could keep the aggression dialed back. All too often the high hp car owner is an A type personality that's pretty much only known success their whole life. Then they get on the track with big sticky tires, aero, and handling electronics, and are slow to understand that the car is covering for the skills they've not yet learned.

There were a couple times when I had to tell a student that they either dial it back or the chief instructor was going to have to assign someone else to them. My father died when he was the same age I am now and I have 3 teenage boys. Being in the passenger seat, at 150mph, with some knucklehead that doesn't know wtf he's doing is stressful, statistics be damned.

In 2011 I had a helova crash the same place you were at, Road Atlanta. Some called it the worst crash in club racing that year. A car dumped coolant right in front of me and I hooked into a cement wall at about 80mph. I decelerated from 80 to zero in about 24" of crushed sheetmetal, the wall having zero give. I don't figure I'd have survived had I been in a DD. But because of all the safety equipment, to include the (now bent) cage that reinforced the passenger cell, the impact only knocked the wind out of me and cracked a rib, so essentially, nothing.

Consider how many g's a person has to absorb to go from 80mph to 0 in 24". And I just crawled out of the car, laid on the grass to wait the emergency vehicles, and enjoyed the sun on my face in the cool afternoon.

What turn did that happen on? Turn 7 at the back of the course? Or, the chicane before the bridge? (Turns 10 & 11 if I remember correctly) I suppose it could have been 12 at the bottom of the drop before the front straight...there's a nice high brick wall on the outside of that one.

One of the problems we suffered with in the unlimited speed sessions was the wide range of abilities on the track. There were no driving tests for that session, just verification of certain equipment on the car, a legal fire suit and a legal helmet. As a result, there were guys on the track with far more money than driving ability. I shared the track with some unbelievable cars including one of Gerhard Berger's F1 cars, Gino Moretti's MOMO Ferrari 333SP, and a factory prepped F50 that was supposed to race at Le Mans and didn't due to the privateer racing team running out of money. The guy in the Le Mans prepped F50 couldn't drive as well as my wife. I lapped him about every three laps...in an F355. At the same time, I was getting lapped by the F1 car and the MOMO 333 equally as quickly. Those cars were driven by semi-pro drivers and they were something to watch. We had a couple of crashes that were undoubtedly caused by people driving so slowly and unpredictably that they were hazards.

I seem to remember you reside in the Savannah, GA area. That's where I grew up and I know Roebling Road well. I threw the F355 off the track there a couple of times. Fortunately, no damage aside from ego.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crash was in the S's. Read the comments for the details. I didn't try too hard to save it. I felt the rear end giving way far before it's visible in the video. I decided it couldn't be saved and I would instead try to slide sideways down thru the S's. But ABS kicked in and tried to make the car go in the direction it was pointed. The wall. My plan failed. ABS's plan succeed.

https://vimeo.com/33128427

I can't watch the vid anymore. In the second before the impact, as I headed for the wall, I was astonished to see just how fast I was going. You never really appreciate how fast your car is going until you're headed for something. Then it's suddenly "holy shit I'm going fast. This is going to be bad".

We're racing at Roebling Road next weekend. 3 day weekend for me because I'll be teaching Comp School on Friday.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since we are sharing crash video...

https://vimeo.com/164793791

Texas World Speedway, crash happens in T7, about 45s into video.

Tws was the fastest track in Texas, the only track where the miata broke 110mph entering T1. Tws was the third super Speedway with Daytona and taledega commissioned in 1969 and taken off the nascar circuit in the early 80s. From then until 2017 it served as an amateur race track...always at risk of being sold for profit. In 2017 it became a storage facility for all the flooded cars from the gulf coast hurricane Harvey. Thus, tws is unlikely to ever be raced on again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://goo.gl/images/cvQFzN

That's unbelievable

It will take years to sort that out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what a race is like. Lots of commentary to explain the action.
https://vimeo.com/159221010

Tom_hampton wrote:
Since we are sharing crash video...
https://vimeo.com/164793791

Texas World Speedway, crash happens in T7, about 45s into video.

Sorry man, that sucks.

Our class is pretty tight with the SpecMiatas. We race at the same time so there's been some conflicts over the years. But the character of both classes has kind of changed since the harder years when we sometimes didn't get along well. The veterans of both classes back then were less "social" then they are now. The later generation of formal and informal leaders of both classes hang out together and that sort of thing is a big deal for classes getting along well.

It helps that the Miata drivers tend to be very skilled, which reduces the # of problems between classes. Also, we come down hard on the errant SpecE30 if he plays rough with a different class.

SCCA owns our local track, Roebling Road. As such I used to flag for SCCA events occasionally and I still go to the odd event there when an "older" buddy needs crew. I'm left with the impression that SCCA isn't as social as NASA is. SpecE30 in our region (SE) is the largest group of the largest class in NASA, and we're really tight. We park together in the paddock and hang out together all weekend. It's kind of a big party and some racing breaks out. My impression of SCCA is that they're at the track to win, not to hang out with their buddies.

In SpecE30, if someone comes off the track with a problem, folks gather around to find out what the guy needs. In 2009, back when I could barely change the oil on my car, the guys did a complete engine swap for me at the track and I made the Saturday race. That day made a big impression on me.

In this region SCCA gets huge car counts in SpecMiata and, of course, we envy that. But the fact that they don't seem to hang out together in the paddock is kinda foreign to us. We come to the race track to hang out with our buddies.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a guess, it I’m thinking the SUV and Crossover changed cars as we once knew them. The Japanese automaker killed the imports- No more Mazda RX7, no more Toyota Supra, no more Mitsubishi 3000GT, etc.

Porsche had to embrace the trend- the Cayenne and Macan are the most sold Porsche’s, by a huge margin too.

Some sports cars held their own due to being iconic... the Porsche 911 and the Chevy Corvette. Otherwise, not so much. Of course, the new trend is the high powered SUV or Crossover. Satisfies a lot of cravings.

I personally have always loved cars. I have always had an extra car- a sports car. It gets driven little and is for enjoyment only. Rarely is it actual “transportation” in that sense as a daily driver would be.

Some people customize trucks. Some people love jeeps. Others love sports cars.

I wouldn’t say any of those tastes are of a large market. The majority of people have daily drivers and that’s it.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
I bought my BMW 335i, which I would characterize as a sports sedan, when I lived in Texas and took it to San Diego. It was great. Not as much fun in DC in the winter. Kids is the other big factor. I'm going overseas and will probably have a friend hold onto the car for me, but there is a concern because you can't really fit child seats in the back.

2 Door ? I had a '99 323 and currently an '08 328. Car seats were no issue at all. Might have had to move front seats up a little when they were rear facing. The kids were part of why I stuck with BMW. Wanted a safe car to drive them around in. I will say as they are getting older it's a PITA because they are beating the shit out of the back of the car with their feet on seats and front arm rest area.

Yes, it's the coupe. Obviously, most "sports cars" are two doors, and don't provide a lot of access to the back seat, making it hard to work with kids, unless you don't really care about having them in a safety seat.

I had a 335xi. Daily driver with twins in the back seat. It was a sedan, which is why it worked so well as a daily driver with kids being a four door. Of course, I added a Burger tuning JB4 and bumped HP to about 400hp. That car ruled. I miss it and want another one someday. Reliable too and just ticked every box in the want list. That car is so great, I would find a sedan and sell your 2 door if you need car seats in the back.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
spudone wrote:
dave_w wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
As a total aisde i dont, and this maybe heresy, consider mustangs, chargers, corvettes or camaros sports cars

I dont consider the RS, RS3 sports cars. Just hot hatches

Sports cars; gt3rs, gt2, anything with a straight up track pedigree

The others are many things but if you told a european you bought a sports car, they asked what and you said camaro i am not sure they would agree its a sports car ;)

-
I agree, and used to describe my ownership history as many sporty cars and a few sports cars. Time is the wrinkle, and your hot hatches could probably out-perform the true sports cars from a couple decades ago...so harder to keep a thumb on precise definitions. I might go with attributes like IRS and fairly equal weight distribution as well as some power to weight metrics. Heck, the sports cars these days have automatics!

Yeah it's hard to draw a line. I had a Lotus Elise some years ago, and at 190hp it's quick but not that strong. Yet it's obviously designed for the track. My current toy is a bmw i8 which is faster, perfect weight distribution due to the battery. But I'd call it more of a grand tourer.
-
nice! The Elise ticks another important "sports car" box with "lightweight", though technology all around helps mute even that.

Getting in and out of an Elise makes it a sports car for that reason alone! Lol
It’s a yoga workout in itself. That car is so impressive with its ability to carry speed in a corner. Not even a question that it’s a true sports car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Crash was in the S's. Read the comments for the details. I didn't try too hard to save it. I felt the rear end giving way far before it's visible in the video. I decided it couldn't be saved and I would instead try to slide sideways down thru the S's. But ABS kicked in and tried to make the car go in the direction it was pointed. The wall. My plan failed. ABS's plan succeed.

https://vimeo.com/33128427

I can't watch the vid anymore. In the second before the impact, as I headed for the wall, I was astonished to see just how fast I was going. You never really appreciate how fast your car is going until you're headed for something. Then it's suddenly "holy shit I'm going fast. This is going to be bad".

We're racing at Roebling Road next weekend. 3 day weekend for me because I'll be teaching Comp School on Friday.

Ouch. Holy shit. That was a hard hit, for sure. I saw a 308 loose it two turns before your off track excursion. Got it on video. I shot lots of video that weekend at Road Atlanta with a full sized camcorder mounted to the diagonal bracing of my cage. Unfortunately, it is all videotape and not digital. I suppose I will need to take it to a video service and have it converted at some point.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that’s also a good point when your SUV has 350+ hp and it’s set up like a sports car, you start losing some of the desire to have a second fast car unless you just love sports cars.

My Grand Cherokee is 360hp and in sport mode it’s still fun. It’s not the vr4 or any other sports car I’ve been in but it’s still not a clunker car that’s boring to drive.

On top of that you have sedans now that have the HP of sports cars 5-10 years ago and are significantly more practical. My wife has an Audi s4 and all though she would love to have a Porsche 911 or her Exige she used to have. The S4 is still fun for her to drive until we can get one of those and it works at least with one kid. Two might be rough with the smaller trunk.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You don't follow WEC, IMSA, or more specifically, the 24 Hours of LeMans, do you?

I'm not a Corvette fanboy, but the Corvette has done quite well in endurance racing against Porsche, Ferrari, Aston, etc.[/quote]

Your question's not addressed to me, but I'm responding because the majority of my job is tied to IMSA. I don't know that I'll end up at every race this year, but I'll get to at least half of them. I haven't come up with solid work reason to to go LeMans yet, but I'm working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go so slow wrote:
I haven't come up with solid work reason to to go LeMans yet, but I'm working on it.

That's easy. You're scouting the viability of convincing FIA to accept DPi cars as LMPs to keep that level of racing alive in the WEC.

Would love to see the Caddies make a go. It'll be interesting to see what Joest does with the Mazdas this year.

As I live in Austin, I'm bummed COTA isn't on either schedule this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I would be a student in my car with an instructor.

I am more concerned about other people wrecking it.

2 car wrecks in DE are exceedingly rare. In fact, I don't know that I'm aware of one. This is in large part because DE almost universally outlaws passing in the corners. And passing is again almost universally only allowed with a point-by from the car being passed.

What that means is that the lead car has to recognize that the following car is there, and stick his arm out the window and tell the following car which side to pass on, at the beginning of the passing zone. Then the lead car has to let off the gas (in most cases) to allow the following car to make the pass before the end of the straight.

People who pass outside of the designated passing zones, or pass without a point-by are usually given one warning, and asked to leave on the second offence. Its simply not tolerated---and is dealt with swiftly. Drivers who don't give a point-by for several laps, or who drag race after giving a point-by are treated equally harshly.

So, your risk of a wreck in DE is entirely within your control. If you respect your car, and your abilities, you are VERY unlikely to take your car home in pieces. You are in MUCH bigger danger on the road to/from the track. I would have zero concern about serious damage to your DD at a DE day. I did it for several years. I drove my car to the track, I spent the day lapping, then I drove home. No big deal.

That said, driving a race car is much more fun than a street car--and you will learn more faster. A full harness, and a race seat provide the proper restraint for your body which allows you to focus on driving the car instead of resisting the cornering and braking forces. This also allows you to perceive what the car is doing better, and therefore react more correctly to the early signs of altered traction.

^^^ THIS^^^

I have done a couple DE track days. It is great fun. You learn a lot from the instructors too. After you leave the track, you realize what a waste it is to drive an awesome car on city streets when you know what it is really capable of. Both times I was in a Porsche 911. You just can’t hurt that car. I didn’t feel bad one bit. It is made to go fast on a track!

Do it.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do you do?

thinking of going myself - that or Paul Ricard for the GP
Quote Reply

Prev Next