Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
I bought my BMW 335i, which I would characterize as a sports sedan, when I lived in Texas and took it to San Diego. It was great. Not as much fun in DC in the winter. Kids is the other big factor. I'm going overseas and will probably have a friend hold onto the car for me, but there is a concern because you can't really fit child seats in the back.

2 Door ? I had a '99 323 and currently an '08 328. Car seats were no issue at all. Might have had to move front seats up a little when they were rear facing. The kids were part of why I stuck with BMW. Wanted a safe car to drive them around in. I will say as they are getting older it's a PITA because they are beating the shit out of the back of the car with their feet on seats and front arm rest area.

Yes, it's the coupe. Obviously, most "sports cars" are two doors, and don't provide a lot of access to the back seat, making it hard to work with kids, unless you don't really care about having them in a safety seat.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
As a total aisde i dont, and this maybe heresy, consider mustangs, chargers, corvettes or camaros sports cars

I dont consider the RS, RS3 sports cars. Just hot hatches

Sports cars; gt3rs, gt2, anything with a straight up track pedigree

The others are many things but if you told a european you bought a sports car, they asked what and you said camaro i am not sure they would agree its a sports car ;)

In that case I'll include my E30 M3 as a sports car. It has one of the best track pedigrees you can find.

I am the only on in my neighborhood who has a sports though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What is a sports car?" In the postwar era, a "sports car" was any car that seated two, had a soft top, and could be used for competition. Thus, the Sports Car Club of America. An MG-TC was a sports car, as was an XK-120 or a Jowett Jupiter.
That same car with a permanent hardtop was considered a "Grand Tourer", meaning it would be appropriate for a young man to drive around Europe in varying weather conditions. Thus, the MGB-GT is an MGB sports car upgraded to Grand Tourer configuration.
Therefore most cars are Grand Touring cars, even cars like the GT3 RS or even RSR since they aren't open top. One could even argue a 911 Turbo S Cabriolet is too big to be a 'real' sports car.
Now, does that leave just the Miata? Or is it too underpowered?
Sporty vs High Performance? If you just look at performance, then things like the Cayenne Turbo S or the Lamborghini SUV have ridiculous performance. Is there a weight limit?
Much like the definition of "Sport", I think "Sports Car" can apply to a lot of cars, or technically, just a teeny tiny subset. Is calling a Mustang or Camaro a sports car, ok? Sure, what if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder version? Should we restrict it to just the GT500, and LT1 versions?
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two door would be a colossal PITA

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think the sport vs. GT distinction today is more about "size" than the configuration of the top. Rag top vs. coupe doesn't really bring much to the distinction anymore. There just aren't many rag-tops anymore. I certainly think the MX-5 is a sports car, but I don't think its the only one. Its more about the size, weight, suspension, and drive-train configuration in my mind. I do NOT think its about "power" or power-weight. Or, if it is about power-to-weight, the MX-5 sets the minimum standard.

Even the 27 year old 1.6L Miata with 120-ish HP is fast enough on a track to scare the shit out of most people. I've given plenty of rides...I can't go more than about 7/10ths with a passenger, even then they are "hanging on for dear life".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

I used to have an Acura RSX when I first moved to Canada, my daughter was 1 at the time. Wife and I were separated, so it was just me in the car most of the time. So long as there isn't someone in the front passenger seat, it wasn't that bad getting her in and out. rear facing car seat had a base that clipped in. and front facing wasn't bad getting her in and out of.

coupe is more of an issue when they are older, or if you are routinely carrying more than 2 people.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

My wife had a Celica GTS when our kid was born. The rear seat had that latch system. How much space does a baby need?
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Leddy wrote:

My wife had a Celica GTS when our kid was born. The rear seat had that latch system. How much space does a baby need?

Not much space but from what I remember when my kids were rear facing. But getting them out would be a hassle in a 2 door from what I recall. Having to move a seat up, reaching in and unhooking from base and then angling to get it out. Then again I haven't had a 2 door since the early '90s.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
knewbike wrote:
Leddy wrote:

Not much space but from what I remember when my kids were rear facing. But getting them out would be a hassle in a 2 door from what I recall. Having to move a seat up, reaching in and unhooking from base and then angling to get it out. Then again I haven't had a 2 door since the early '90s.

Think of it as crossfit yoga reps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it was the weight and twisting in to a low car
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Weather and opportunity to drive it. If you live in a place where you basically do bumper to bumper commute every day, there's not much reason for a sports car.

I bought my BMW 335i, which I would characterize as a sports sedan, when I lived in Texas and took it to San Diego. It was great. Not as much fun in DC in the winter. Kids is the other big factor. I'm going overseas and will probably have a friend hold onto the car for me, but there is a concern because you can't really fit child seats in the back.
Understood. Glad to help.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The muscle cars are to sports cars the same way body builders are to athletes.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one is mistaking a Bentley or RR GT for a sports car. Rag top or not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
No one is mistaking a Bentley or RR GT for a sports car. Rag top or not

https://www.bentleymedia.com/en/newsitem/799
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Leddy wrote:

Not sure how old your kids are but it’s not the size of the baby it’s the size of the seat. Most of the rear facing seats are monsters now and they take up a bunch of room. The one we have in the Grand Cherokee is big enough that the front seat can’t move all the way back.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 1997 328i BMW convertible I like to drive some. It’s old but pretty damn sporty.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It worked in 2000 ;)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
knewbike wrote:
Leddy wrote:

Safer to just throw them in the trunk. Oh wait my trunk is too small too! Dammit! :)

With the way my wife drives, yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I just had a weird thought. I live in a Philly suburb. The neighborhood is about 30 years old, 2200-2500 sq ft houses (mostly 2 story colonials), 4-5 bedrooms, most basements are finished, 2 car garages, 1/3 acre properties, culdesacs, probably 90+% college educated and 90+% families with children.

1 guy has an old IRoc Z in his garage. Other than that:

No corvettes
No mustangs
No challengers
No new cameros
Maaayybe there's a BMW sedan or two, which is kind of a sports car, but none that I can think of off the top of my head.
No 2 seat sports cars like Miatas, boxters, etc. etc.

120 units, and we've got 1 old IRoc Z. So who's buying these things?

Is a Tesla a sports car? Because that's the I don't need this but I want it car up here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no question in my mind that the stage of life has a lot to do with it. I didn't marry until I was 39, so I went through tons of sports cars and 'sporty' cars. I was active in several car clubs including the SCCA, Porsche Club, Corvette Club, etc. Did lots of track events, autocrosses, and concours. By the time I was in my 30's, I was into higher end cars and ended up with a Ferrari F355. It was equipped with a full cage, fire system five point harnesses, etc. I went to the National Ferrari meet at Road Atlanta and flogged the car for three days on a high speed track. On the last day of the meet, I was in one of the unlimited speed sessions and there was a pretty serious crash right in front of me. The session was black flagged and I made my way back to the pits and pulled into my parking spot. As I pulled in, my wife was standing in front of me with my one year old son in her arms. I sat for a moment thinking about the fact that only minutes before I had been going 165mph right behind a guy that was almost killed passing me going into a chicane. Just for fun. This wasn't a sanctioned race, it was just a Ferrari Club event.

I put the car up for sale about six months later and sold it for $5,000 more than I had paid for it. I stopped doing track events, but I continued to buy lots of fast cars. As the years went by, they got bigger and slower. Now, I am driving an Alpina B7. Hardly a 'sports car', that's for sure. Regardless, I enjoy sports cars and all sorts of others for the engineering and sophistication of design as much as anything. I gave my wife a Mini Cooper with the John Cooper Works package 12 years ago and we STILL have that car. Wife loves it. When I gave it to her, my daughter was about 4 or 5 at the time and said that was the car she was going to drive when she got older. We laughed at the thought back then since we knew the car would be long gone by then. However, I spent the last six months teaching her to drive a stick in it, and it looks like she is going to get her wish! Maybe another sports car nut is being born...

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of people own sports cars? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
BarryP wrote:
I just had a weird thought. I live in a Philly suburb. The neighborhood is about 30 years old, 2200-2500 sq ft houses (mostly 2 story colonials), 4-5 bedrooms, most basements are finished, 2 car garages, 1/3 acre properties, culdesacs, probably 90+% college educated and 90+% families with children.

1 guy has an old IRoc Z in his garage. Other than that:

No corvettes
No mustangs
No challengers
No new cameros
Maaayybe there's a BMW sedan or two, which is kind of a sports car, but none that I can think of off the top of my head.
No 2 seat sports cars like Miatas, boxters, etc. etc.

120 units, and we've got 1 old IRoc Z. So who's buying these things?

Is a Tesla a sports car? Because that's the I don't need this but I want it car up here.

Yes. It's based on the Lotus Elise!

Tesla S? Nope
Tesla X? No way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

2 Door ? I had a '99 323 and currently an '08 328. Car seats were no issue at all. Might have had to move front seats up a little when they were rear facing. The kids were part of why I stuck with BMW. Wanted a safe car to drive them around in. I will say as they are getting older it's a PITA because they are beating the shit out of the back of the car with their feet on seats and front arm rest area.

Yes, it's the coupe. Obviously, most "sports cars" are two doors, and don't provide a lot of access to the back seat, making it hard to work with kids, unless you don't really care about having them in a safety seat.

That's cause sports cars don't have back seats ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Thanks guys. I really was just curious as I realized that I never see any. I had not considered the weather factor.

So is it safe to say that the following factors increase you chance of buying a sports car?

Good weather
No kids (ie Young people, old people, and people who just don't want kids)
Lots of money (ie upper middle class/wealthy....so above my neighborhood's status)
....or bad with money (I notice more sports cars in working class neighborhoods)

I'd actually love a sports car, but its probably the weather that makes the biggest difference. I never thought of it that way, but rather "how much for a 3rd car vs how fun would it be?" San Diego weather would make it a lot more fun.

I guess I'm 0 for 4.

Good weather? I live in New England
No kids? Nope, a 10 year old.
Lots of money? Nope. I'm not upper middle or upper class.
Bad with money? Nope. I'm not working class.

I own 2 sports cars (Lotus Europa S2 and a Miata). I daily a hot hatch (Fiesta ST).

Is the FiST the fastest of the 3? By far. Is it's a sports car? Nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me, pushing 60 and no kids, pets, or spouse. And the top is down 10 months of the year.[/img]

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next