Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Could Oprah do it? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//What I care about is that her *personal* charitable giving is at least two, if not three, orders of magnitude greater than Trump, and as far as I know she has never been accused of using her charitable foundation for personal gain. //

wrt becoming POTUS? Who cares? Why is this a criteria...why not measure her against HRC or Obama in that regard?

As for the OP, I don't think she could win. Maybe the primary but not the general. IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends, is she going to face Dwayne Johnson in the general election or a primary?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
https://www.motor1.com/...giveaway-didnt-know/

The idea for the car giveaway came from Oprah’s friend Gayle King, who sat next to someone from Pontiac on a flight and struck up a conversation. The show had originally asked Pontiac for 25 cars to giveaway, but kept asking the automaker for more until the total number reached 276. The value of the cars to Pontiac was about $7.7 million.

Who moves into the White House with her? Gayle or Stedman?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or celebrity businessman billionaire Mark Cuban.

This is just rich.

Re: Could Oprah do it? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Or celebrity businessman billionaire Mark Cuban.

This is just rich.

Please no.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the time the next electioneering primaries roll around America will be so sick and disappointed by Trump that no TV personality will have a shot. It will be a traditional politicians. Almost certainly a Democrat.
Maybe E. Warren or Bernie, but maybe a new face will emerge.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Semi-serious question. Could Oprah win an election to be president? Women love her, I would think she would have the minority vote and she seems quite articulate. Aside from a couple of blunders on her tv show, would anyone really have enough dirt on her to make her go away?

Personally, I would be torn on voting for her (although I am from Canuckistan so it doesn't matter anyway). People seem to really love her though.

I think she should run. I mean, what the hell? Look at the mamzers we've had since 2000. She couldn't be any worse and may even be better. And at least we know we'll all get free stuff from her. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
M~ wrote:
Semi-serious question. Could Oprah win an election to be president? Women love her, I would think she would have the minority vote and she seems quite articulate. Aside from a couple of blunders on her tv show, would anyone really have enough dirt on her to make her go away?

Personally, I would be torn on voting for her (although I am from Canuckistan so it doesn't matter anyway). People seem to really love her though.

I think she should run. I mean, what the hell? Look at the mamzers we've had since 2000. She couldn't be any worse and may even be better. And at least we know we'll all get free stuff from her. ;-)

I can't wait until she releases all of her tax returns.

I wonder what Team Biden is up to this morning??
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
As people said, would her skills translate over?

Can you see Oprah standing up to Putin? Iran? NK? Being Commander in Chief ordering slowguy and our military around?

Hey, she already stood up to Lance, thats almost the same right?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see men connecting with Oprah but she's a better candidate than Hillary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unrelated, but does anyone have any insight into the NZ immigration process?

Asking for a friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read the whole thread, but why is this even an option?

Please tell me that their are more qualified applicants for the job of POTUS than OW.

Or is this just one of those threads joking about it, then hahahaha.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure she could but let's wait until we get this shit show is over before we get to the next one.
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:

Please tell me that their are more qualified applicants for the job of POTUS than OW.

Just for fun, why isn't it an option. She created a multi billion empire out of nothing so obviously has some sense to either surround herself with competent people, or is a fast learner. She is articulate, she seems fairly level headed and people seem to like her around the world.
Someone pulling themselves out of poverty and working their ass off to become something is precisely who I would want as the leader of the country.
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Unrelated, but does anyone have any insight into the NZ immigration process?

Asking for a friend.

It's going to get a lot tighter now Labour are in, but you can buy your way in pretty easily. Ask Thiel.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's remarkable is the extent to which her candidacy (or anyone's really, but hers in particular) is now discussed in relation to trump. he's really set a new bar.

again with the parallels - which i think are many - to rob ford. after he left office toronto stayed with a conservative (despite other options including an labour-left option and a centrist technocrat), but elected basically the most boring, dry-toast, rich white corporate conservative in central casting.

so maybe post-trump it's not opera but mitt romney who's the smart money?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too much dirt.

Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oprah should run.

But as a GOP candidate.

First female black president and she's GOP. That'd be awesome. To hear the Dems talk, a good fraction of the GOP spends their days at home in trailerparks, so surely they're very familiar with daytime TV. She probably have a huge GOP female following. The ladies just need to rise up and get their menfolk on board.

Ok, her leanings might not be obviously right-of-center, but frankly, I've not seen much difference between GOP actions and Dem actions in decades. They talk a little different, but once they're in office they all seem to push pretty much the same policies. So she's one clever script writer from being the GOP candidate.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 8, 18 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no chance in hell... but I've said that before :)
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
That's what I also mentioned in my first reply, just without the specific Putin, etc. instances.

Honestly, any worse than Trump? Let's face it, Russia, Iran, NK are outliers on the global front when it comes to diplomacy. I don't see any of those examples listening to DJT or being swayed by him. Certainly Oprah wouldn't hold less credibility with those, but she would hold a far greater amount of credibility with more mainstream diplomatic partners and be better equipped to work with them than DJT will be, a net benefit.

As far as the military is concerned -- is Trump any more respectable than Oprah when he's rage tweeting about bringing us to the brink of nuclear war? Is that something that should make our troops want to stand in line behind him? He wasn't any more qualified to be Commander in Chief than Oprah would be, although I'd imagine her behavior and ability to take sound advice to be far greater than Trump's.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
As people said, would her skills translate over?

Can you see Oprah standing up to Putin? Iran? NK? Being Commander in Chief ordering slowguy and our military around?

The bolded part is key for me, that is really want I want most in a President or a Prime Minister and where Trump seems to fail the most. Oprah certainly wouldn't be my first choice but if she has a proven track record of listening to advisers in business then I think that would be really positive.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Ok, her leanings might not be obviously right-of-center, but frankly, I've not seen much difference between GOP actions and Dem actions in decades. They talk a little different, but once they're in office they all seem to push pretty much the same policies.

Sadly, I think that statement is pretty accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Could Oprah do it? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:

There are lots of qualified candidates. There seem to be no qualified candidates willing to run. We only have the rejects who are crazy enough to run.

If I had my choice I would pick someone like Bill Gates. I don't even really like him, but I do admire what he has done. He has put his money where his mouth is, the complete opposite of the current president.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about shacking up in the White House? How does that play with the GOP?

Re: Could Oprah do it? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

As a caveat, she is probably even more out of touch with reality than Trump is.

A quick review of her early life, and a comparison to that of Trump, would change your view on that. I'm guessing Oprah pretty well understands the reality of life.

Yeah, this. Like her or not (I don't find her very likeable, but whatever), she's the real deal. Self-made billionaire media mogul who never, to my knowledge, made her fortune on the backs of others.

I mean, in the age of celebrity leadership, why not Oprah on the Democrat ticket. I guarantee you she'd be running a tighter ship than what we've seen over the last year plus. Whether you like where she's steering it or not.

I think she's far better equipped intellectually and temperamentally for the office, by a wide margin. And I say that as someone who'd never vote for her.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

Ok, her leanings might not be obviously right-of-center, but frankly, I've not seen much difference between GOP actions and Dem actions in decades. They talk a little different, but once they're in office they all seem to push pretty much the same policies. So she's one clever script writer from being the GOP candidate.

That would explain why the current administration is rolling back all the environmental protections from previous administrations. And many of the financial regulations/consumer protections. You still going with the view that you don't see any differences?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next