Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

marathon training
Quote | Reply
I read/hear that while doing a IRONMAN that the run is the portion that will test you. so wondering if I should train heavier on the marathon portion of the race. im doing a typical training program for newbie ironman(a 3-3-3 program) maybe I should increase the run portion. just completed Austin 70.3 and the run (around mile 10) hit me hard. this is where I decided to walk the entire mile, but put the blame on nutrition or lack of.
so maybe I should train a little "more" on the run portion of my program?
what says the forum? any tips?
Quote Reply
Re: marathon training [brosemail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your goals in your IM?

What was your weekly bike and run volume (max) for your 70.3 prep?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may not be conventional thinking, but my thinking is that if you wanna run a great ironman marathon, you should have mastered a stand alone marathon first. Mastered can mean different things to different people, but for me, it meant being able to run a marathon at an even split. The last ironman I did, I ran a 2:44 marathon in June, then a 3:13 in my kq race. So my advice would be to do some running races earlier in the year to see where your run fitness is at, and also build your confidence
Quote Reply
Re: marathon training [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just trying to finish these events, started with a sprint in may and just completed a HIM (7 hour- run portion was 2:20)
but when I finished I felt good, tired, but good. I would love if I was able to finish my IM in 15 hours or less, with the same feeling (not exhausted, or dead). after this then I can concentrate on all the little things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For beginners, most of the run "suffering" and therefore walking is an issue of bike fitness and overall fitness
Quote Reply
Re: marathon training [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think this is where the issue of training to finish vs training to meet a goal time or PR comes in. If you are simply training to finish, you are by nature going to go easy - which has the adverse effect of keeping you out on the course for a longer period of time, which is, in itself, exhausting. Like all triathletes, you need to find a good balance between pace and efficiency. This is where most MOPers end up, including myself. I would concur that you probably need to be pretty darn comfortable running 26.2 before attempting a full IM.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more is more

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: marathon training [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
more is more

THIS THIS THIS.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply