Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [roadguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that I think of it, I watched Tom Dumoulin take a crap live on TV as well. Maybe I am the problem....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roadguy wrote:
It's funny how you normalize certain things after a while. After many years of watching pro-cycling, and riding with friends, we don't bat an eyelid when someone has to relieve themselves.

When I was watching the tour this year, a relative of mine just happened to walk into the room when the riders were taking a 'nature break'. She asked what they were doing, and seemed a little unsettled that she had just watched someone urinate on live TV!! In retrospect I think she had a point ;-)

It's not like Race Radio calls up to the TV chopper and says: "Hey! They're gonna pee by those trees! Turn the cameras over to that chateau or something!"

On the other hand maybe that IS why they're showing the chateaus?

Of course, in Philly we're used to it for a whole other reason

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Tour of Utah ultimate challenge last year. It's f'n hard, but at the end of the day it's just a t-shirt ride. Peloton is full of men and women.

Over the course of the ride, a handful of guys just whip it out while we're rolling down the road like they're in a pro peloton or something, with women all around. It's a tshirt ride for goodness sakes!

Very confusing behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on a long ride a while back and came across a backback air blower that a landscaper must have lost out of the back of a truck. I stopped, strapped it on, and rode home. About 30 miles. The hose was flapping all over because it wouldn't stay secure. Now we have a backpack air blower with a little bit of a ding. I tell you, though. It isn't easy to ride aero with a backpack blower.

Then, I was out running this last spring and there a circa 1928 mechanical 10-key machine on the curb for free (somebody wrote free on the tape). I walked home with it about 2.5 miles. It weighs 41 pounds. As a CPA, I had a duty to rescue the 10-key.

...now that I think of it, I may have shared this already a few pages back... oh well. Not much exciting happens 'round me.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [maxbrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy waiting for the NJ Transit bus from AC, waving an American flag and singing "God Bless America"

I expected to see more ghouls, pirates and princesses at the school bus stops today, but then it occurred to me that a) the early busses are High School and Middle School kids and b) their schools have uniforms, so probably no costumes are allowed [DKid got around this by finding a loophole "Hey, no one said I couldn't wear make-up" and zombified herself - no blood or gore, just undead looking]

I ran past the cemetery as I often do but saw no unusual activity; maybe tomorrow, when the spirits have to return to their graves before Dawn, after been out all Halloween night?

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
Several months ago I was out for a Sunday morning run along a rural road. I glanced down and saw a $20 bill on the side of the road. Sweet, I thought, and picked it up. I proceeded to find 4 more! $100 cash just laying in a ditch on the side of a back road. I was PSYCHED!

At Kona 2014 I picked up a 50 at mile 6 of the run. The photographer was right there so one of my race photos included me flashing my newfound wealth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) dead body on a 1/2 marathon that caused us to run a few extra miles.

2) Turned a corner on a bike path to see a motorcycle/calendar girl photo shoot dead ahead.

3) Historic battle reenactment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant purple butt plug on MTB trail. GIANT

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it is Halloween, this is a great time for me to reply to this thread! This isn't something I've seen, but around this time of year I help others experience the season while out running by dressing up as a gorilla and scaring a 5:30 am running group I'm part of! Funniest thing was one time finding a blog from a cyclist who talked about seeing a gorilla in the woods during one of her rides, it was me...

This morning, I returned to the trail as a gorilla along with a small tripod and Iphone, good times!
https://www.facebook.com/...ts/10155260316931645

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years back I was on a switchback looking out over East Canyon (Salt Lake City) and noticed a Red Tailed Hawk. He was riding the ridge lift and almost exactly at the same height as the road so I was looking slightly down on him. As I was looking, he banked such that the sun reflected off the tops of his wings making him completely aglow. Stunning! What I would give for a pic of that!
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:

I didn't know they made butt plugs. Bicycles, sure. I guess diversification is the key to success for large companies.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
rotosound wrote:

I didn't know they made butt plugs. Bicycles, sure. I guess diversification is the key to success for large companies.

Bike company names I wouldn't want associated with sex toys: Giant, Surly, Felt, Jamis, Softride

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was November 5th, and I saw Xmas lights up already

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today I saw a Pontiac Fiero, with NJ Historical plates [for cars 25+ years old, they begin or end with "QQ"]

In case you don't remember

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
freightrain121 wrote:
A squirrel fell out of a tree right in front of me on a ride a few weeks ago...made a weird "pop" sound when he landed--but he scampered away. Squirrel Dive Bombs?

Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - I was running down the street one fall morning when I heard a rustling of leaves high up in an oak tree about a hundred yards ahead of me. The shaking was followed by a loud wooden clunk! ... a pause ... another clunk! and another; each sounding lower in the tree as I ran toward it. The clunks came steadily until finally silence as I ran beneath the tall tree

... And I got beaned right on top of the head!!!

A malicious and dangerously clever squirrel must've been in the tallest branches of the tree, shaking acorns out in such a way that they fell, bouncing off branches on their journey, in perfect time for one to plunk me right on the noggin

There's a wooded stretch of road toward the end of the second day of the City to Shore where I've seen that happen to enough riders (and experienced it myself a couple of times over the years) that I swear it's deliberate on the part of the squirrels.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
There's a wooded stretch of road toward the end of the second day of the City to Shore ...

Or beginning of the first day, if you only do the ride down on Saturday [like we do, then we volunteer at the Waterford Middle School rest stop on Sunday]

Do you mean that twisty, turny part between Rt 73 and the Halloween house? That's near where I live; I drive it to & from work everyday

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
There's a wooded stretch of road toward the end of the second day of the City to Shore ...

Or beginning of the first day, if you only do the ride down on Saturday [like we do, then we volunteer at the Waterford Middle School rest stop on Sunday]

Do you mean that twisty, turny part between Rt 73 and the Halloween house? That's near where I live; I drive it to & from work everyday

Kettle Run Road right before Braddock Mill Road, I think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming out of t1 on a foggy morning a woman in front of me on the bike had just put on her Oakley's in transition and couldn't see out of the condensation on the lenses. She ripped them off her face and chucked them on the ground and kept riding. A spectator saw the whole thing and shouted "I didn't want those anyway!". It was a funny scene and I couldn't stop laughing.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
RandMart wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:

That's it!!!

Y'know where that turn is, where there's a railroad crossing? If you were to cross the RR, and go straight about a mile, that's where I live

In fact, that crossing is exactly where the boulder fell of the truck, and around where I usually see the Danica the bus driver

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that would violate the littering rules, and heck of a waste of expensive glasses :-p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
RandMart wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Is Kettle Run Road less than 12 parsecs?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
rotosound wrote:

Bike company names I wouldn't want associated with sex toys: Giant, Surly, Felt, Jamis, Softride

SRAM

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buddy of mine saw a $20 bill fly across the road, during IM LOU. I asked him if he stopped....and he said "no".

Got me thinking......what would the denomination have to be for me to stop in an IM race.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knowing how the conversations on ST go, you would then need to calculate how many watts you would expend by caring that extra piece of currency, then calculate how much each watt is costing you and the watts needed to get back to where you were. Once the at break even point is discovered the value of the currency can be determined.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
B......what would the denomination have to be for me to stop in an IM race.

Enough to pay off that month's EPO

Quote Reply

Prev Next