Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Non traditional bike frame in Kona
Quote | Reply
Sure seems like the number of these are increasing every year. Here are the numbers from Lava's bike count:

37 Ventum
31 Dimond
26 Cervelo P5X
7 Diamondback Andean
1 Reep
0 Falco or TriRig Omni

Never heard of the Reep before.

I really enjoyed the ride feel of the Falco I owned but I think they have ceased business operations and the Ventum I demo'd and rode at Ironman Texas exuded confidence in windy conditions.

Wonder if we'll see more companies go this route in the future?

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s awesome to see Ventum growing. I wonder how many other brands will release non traditional frames

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
Sure seems like the number of these are increasing every year. Here are the numbers from Lava's bike count:

37 Ventum
31 Dimond
26 Cervelo P5X
7 Diamondback Andean
1 Reep
0 Falco or TriRig Omni

Expensive novelty bikes for the dentists to own, pose outside cafes and post on social media.

No tangible real world benefits over a traditional double diamond design.

There will always be a small market for this type of product, just like there is for ceramic bearings, over-sized pulleys and anything else sold by ceramic speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://reapbikes.com

New beam design TT/tri bikes, based out of UK.

This is probably the bike in the count:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...the_Reaper_6599.html
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
Expensive novelty bikes for the dentists to own, pose outside cafes and post on social media.

I'm definitely not a dentist, but I do own a Ventum. I know the wind tunnel data showed the aerodynamics of it (ok, not class leading, but also not that bad). To me, there's two major benefits. First, it's an extremely comfortable bike. I used to ride a BMC TM01 (moved all the components over to the Ventum so same stuff, only the frame is the difference) and I always felt a bit beat up after a hard ride (interval training or racing), with the Ventum, I feel just fine and fresh, ready to run. The second major benefit is how stable it is in cross winds. With the BMC I had to sit up to control the bike when it got really windy (especially if it was gusty), but with the Ventum, I rarely have to do that. I may not have gained much in terms of straight line aerodynamics, but I know I can ride harder and I can stay in aero longer, so at the end of the day, I am faster.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not class leading with the standard fork and open mold front end.

With the right bar on there, things change pretty significantly at most angles of attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - Ventum & Dimond opened the door here and their numbers keep growing.

It says something when a brand like Cervelo, launches a non-UCI frame to put into the category. However, if you know Cervelo's history and roots, the P5X is really a bit of a distant echo from the original bike the Cervelo founders Vroomen and White designed - the Barrachi!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Novelty is where innovation happens. "Cycling" -desperately- needs innovation. Luckily or rules allow for it. And I suppose its good for sales too.

--------------------------

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't agree with the "no tangible real world benefits" part. I finally got around to building my Omni a few weeks ago and I've ridden it maybe half a dozen times since. It really shines in cross winds. I'm not sure how one would go about testing that but, IMO the difference in handling between my Speed Concept with an Jet 6+ front Jet+ disc rear and the Omni with the same wheels was like the difference between my Speed Concept with Aeolus 7s front and rear and the Jet 6+ front and Jet+ disc rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [jsfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsfarmer wrote:
Novelty is where innovation happens. "Cycling" -desperately- needs innovation. Luckily or rules allow for it. And I suppose its good for sales too.

These frames aren't innovative, just a re-hash of 1990s designs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
VALHALLA wrote:

37 Ventum
31 Dimond
26 Cervelo P5X
7 Diamondback Andean
1 Reep
0 Falco or TriRig Omni

There will always be a small market for this type of product, just like there is for ceramic bearings, over-sized pulleys and anything else sold by ceramic speed.

Sadly, their price point is not really much different than the top bikes from Felt, Trek, etc etc.

As for novelty, well, define novelty. I currently own a trek speed concept 9. I've had a few test rides on a Dimond Brilliant, and it is the nicest riding/feeling bike I've ever been on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my whole drama here with the secondhand Dimond thread and my experience with their service which was subsequently followed by Jimmy Seear reaching out to me and offering to get me on one of his bikes, Iā€™m thrilled to see that Ventum has matched and passed Dimondā€™s numbers. Not only does the bike ride magnificently, Ventumā€™s customer service is second to none and I see great things for the brand.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
ā€œI swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride a Ventum for a while and you wonā€™t call it a novelty. Iā€™m just a poor pool guy and I adore the experience I have when riding and racing it. The comfort and handling are better than any traditional double triangle TT bikes Iā€™ve ridden. Itā€™s agile and stiff, yet very stable. It soaks up the road, while being the only TT bike Iā€™ve ever ridden where I can confidently ride with no hands.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
ā€œI swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely enjoyed my 1 riding experience with the Ventum. I think Dimonds are crap. The P5x is a nice bike, but I'll never buy one (b/c I can't afford it). The Andean is ok. The Reap looks like it'll have major issues around the seat post. The Omni is something I'll also never buy.

The only one in there I think I'd buy if I was in the market for an $8000+ bike would be the P5x, however.

A reliable manufacturer with a proven history of quality control and post-purchase support. It's not really much faster than a 'regular' bike but it does add functionality that makes it more 'worth it.'
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't afford a Ventum or a P5X, but I do think that these two bikes (plus the TriRig Omni) are fast designs. Independent testing shows the Dimond to not be as fast. But just because they are expensive doesn't make them dentist bikes. Fast athletes are looking for fast bikes. Athletes like me for example may get a super bike once every ten years rather than getting a mid-tier bike every 3-6 years.

I do think bikes 10 years from now may move away from the double diamond. I also think today's internally cabled double diamond bikes will not be antiquated however. The reason why is I think the frame per $ spent is not the best bang for your buck if you want to improve speed/aerodynamics. The place to improve aerodynamics has to do with rider position and peripheral envelope so things like your helmet, pedals, shoes and front end bar system are just as important as your frame. I personally look at frame purchase not so much on aerodynamics, which is very important, but on how future proofed it is so I can add to it as needed with new innovation while keeping the same frame.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are just dick measuring tools for when you show up at transition. Look at my $15,000 bike. I also find it funny they have these attached to small wracks on the back of their civic.

You want to impress me, show up in an Aston Martin with an under $3000 bike, podium finish, kiss your bikini model girlfriend, rip a line of blow off the 2nd place guys wife's chest, smack her butt, shotgun a Busch Light like you are still a poor college kid, then throw the dueces and peace out.

^ we can all have dreams cant we?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
itā€™s great weā€™re seeing new/different/rehash bike designs out there, that those companies are doing well and being (positively) discussed. I think for the many reasons above (and on other threads) these types of designs at create discussions and ā€˜what ifā€™ ideas that other bike manufactures through into some of their bikes that many benefit from. Plus, there is a whole.... ā€˜dang that just looks coolā€™ benefit.

Iā€™m no dentist and I love my Dimond. Hopefully it will grace the racks on the pier in a few years.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little off topic here, but all the talk about dentists reminded me of this classic from The Onion....

https://www.theonion.com/...onvention-1819565466
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised so few P5X. Considering a good number of those are sponsored, that's not many.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats quite an Imagination. But I'm into it.

#2018goals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
jsfarmer wrote:

These frames aren't innovative, just a re-hash of 1990s designs.

What's old is new again. I still remember the Zipp 2001. A guy in my club had one in the early/mid-90s. I thought it was the coolest thing on two wheels. I still want one. [starts searching eBay while wife sleeps...]

Just because things look vaguely the same doesn't mean they are. Di2 is more than a "re-hash" of Mavic Zap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There will always be a small market for this type of product, just like there is for ceramic bearings, over-sized pulleys and anything else sold by ceramic speed.[/quote]
I suggest you ride one before you make claims with no substance. I have owned two Dimonds now and the first time I rode the Brilliant I knew I would never be able to go back to standard bike. Although the bike feels stiff and handles like a normal tt bike the beam has some dampening and dampens some of the harshness out of the road. That alone won me over and I figure must help over an Ironman distance race when getting off to run. The new Marquise with inbuilt bento box, spare storage compartment and ability to run a bladder in the frame like a shiv another plus for me. That's without even mentioning the poser novelty.
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I suggest you ride one before you make claims with no substance. I have owned two Dimonds now and the first time I rode the Brilliant I knew I would never be able to go back to standard bike. Although the bike feels stiff and handles like a normal tt bike the beam has some dampening and dampens some of the harshness out of the road. That alone won me over and I figure must help over an Ironman distance race when getting off to run. The new Marquise with inbuilt bento box, spare storage compartment and ability to run a bladder in the frame like a shiv another plus for me. That's without even mentioning the poser novelty.

After reading this compelling review full of evidenced based benefits why would anyone buy any bike other than a Dimond?

You must now feel great letting everyone know that you've bought not one but two Dimonds.

So when you rack one in transition you've got another one to ride to the cafe: every base covered.

Well done.

Did someone mention dick waving tool?
Last edited by: moonmonkey02: Oct 20, 17 2:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:

37 Ventum
31 Dimond
26 Cervelo P5X
7 Diamondback Andean
1 Reep
0 Falco or TriRig Omni

Never heard of the Reep before.

I really enjoyed the ride feel of the Falco I owned but I think they have ceased business operations and the Ventum I demo'd and rode at Ironman Texas exuded confidence in windy conditions.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the ITU/Ironman partnership and the "harmonized" rulebook for long distance tri that is supposed to be out for next year (we'll see in a few months I guess, since updated rules for the year are usually released around December). As it stands at the moment, Dimond's frames are not ITU legal. The Ventum was the first non-traditional frame on the approved list, and has since been joined by the P5X, the Reap and most recently the TriRig Omni. Falco is also not legal, and likely never will be as I believe they have gone belly up (I still do see a few of their frames at the odd race)... If the non-traditional frame rule stays as is (I suspect it will), and is adopted as part of this harmonized rule set, companies like Dimond will need to scramble to get their frames approved, or will see a big dent in their numbers... not to mention, that some pros could end up in a sticky spot, having sponsorship from a bike brand that they can't legally ride (especially for those looking to do some early 2018 IM races to try and bank up lots of KPR points, while the manufacturers scramble to get their frames tested and approved)...
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
After my whole drama here with the secondhand Dimond thread and my experience with their service which was subsequently followed by Jimmy Seear reaching out to me and offering to get me on one of his bikes, Iā€™m thrilled to see that Ventum has matched and passed Dimondā€™s numbers. Not only does the bike ride magnificently, Ventumā€™s customer service is second to none and I see great things for the brand.
Iā€™ll never make Kona, shit iā€™ll Never be FOP for a local little tri, but my next bike will be a Ventum. I mentioned earlier that I was interested in one, and Jimmy reached out to me about it. Now, iā€™m Not ready to throw around cash just yet (nor back then) but it isnā€™t too far off in the future. That kind of personal touch was good enough for me to go with them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next