Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sled dogs test positive for banned drug for first time in Iditarod history
Quote | Reply
Doping is wide spread in horse racing and apparently also with dogs.
First time a dog has been caught at Iditarod.
That is just sad.
https://www.theguardian.com/...;utm_campaign=buffer
Several dogs tested positive for the opioid pain reliever tramadol, the governing board of the nearly 1,000-mile Iditarod Trail sled dog race said in a statement. The team was tested six hours after finishing the nearly 1,000-mile race in Nome in March, officials said. They estimate the drug could have been administered between 15 hours before the test and right before it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sled dogs test positive for banned drug for first time in Iditarod history [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spanish dog food?
Quote Reply
Re: Sled dogs test positive for banned drug for first time in Iditarod history [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long have they tested in that race? Doping in horse & dog racing is as old as, well, dog or horse racing! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Doping is wide spread in horse racing and apparently also with dogs.
First time a dog has been caught at Iditarod.
That is just sad.
https://www.theguardian.com/...;utm_campaign=buffer
Several dogs tested positive for the opioid pain reliever tramadol, the governing board of the nearly 1,000-mile Iditarod Trail sled dog race said in a statement. The team was tested six hours after finishing the nearly 1,000-mile race in Nome in March, officials said. They estimate the drug could have been administered between 15 hours before the test and right before it.

Wow, even dogs make this decision, they want to be on the good team and make good $, they have to dope, not a brainier. Today's world is just too competitive.

I wonder if they run with Stryd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That has got to be the most unexpectedly funny subject line I've ever seen here.
And I have followed the Iditarod on and off for a few decades now.

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: Sled dogs test positive for banned drug for first time in Iditarod history [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically I've seen tramadol used as a sleeping aid taken at bedtime. Doesn't seem like it would be the first choice of performance enhancer. Maybe he just wanted the dogs to get a good rest after the race? I'm not up on my sled dog racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sled dogs test positive for banned drug for first time in Iditarod history [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Spanish dog food?
golfclap.gif
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Halvard and All,

Apparently racing dogs are held to a higher standard for some drugs than racing humans.

https://www.usada.org/...erts-want-it-banned/

The opioid epidemic in the United States and around the world is not a secret, but how much do people really know about the abuse of prescription drugs in sport? Are they aware of how often seemingly innocent prescriptions for oxycodone or tramadol can turn into full-blown addictions? That the addiction can lead to an overdose and death? That it can happen to anyone, even athletes? Especially athletes?

At USADA, we believe that medical advice should come from physicians, but it is within our purview to draw attention to health and safety issues that impact athletes. As such, USADA has publicly provided education and guidance on substances and methods that are on the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List, while also pushing for other substances to be added to the List because of associated health risks and performance-enhancing capabilities.

One such drug is the narcotic painkiller tramadol, a still-legal substance in sport that is both powerful and dangerous. USADA, alongside numerous other organizations in the world of sport, believe that the time is now for WADA to finally move the drug from its Monitoring Program (where it has been since 2012) to the Prohibited List, alongside 12 other narcotics that are already banned in-competition.

While USADA and other consulted stakeholders provided substantial evidence about the health risks and abuse of tramadol in sport after WADA requested comment on its inclusion in 2015, WADA has not yet added the drug, which is being abused in at least one sport. According to the WADA Monitoring Program, 71 to 82 percent of the tramadol use between 2012 and 2015 in globally monitored sports occurred in cycling.

https://www.usada.org/...ada-prohibited-list/

While not banned tramadol is now monitored by WADA

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Sled dogs test positive for banned drug for first time in Iditarod history [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically I've seen tramadol used as a sleeping aid taken at bedtime. Doesn't seem like it would be the first choice of performance enhancer. Maybe he just wanted the dogs to get a good rest after the race? I'm not up on my sled dog racing.

I had a Tramadol prescription after some oral surgery. Took it a total of twice, both in the evening. Both times I woke up like I'd been drinking tequila all night, with the side benefit of it not even helping the pain as much as a pair of Advil. I don't understand why anyone would take that stuff, recreationally or otherwise. Seems like a hangover in pill form.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply