Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WWSTD? Potential illegal bib-swap [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Is there a logic to hard-and-fast no-transfer rules other than allowing races to count on a certain percentage of paying no-shows and to avoid the logistical hassles of having to process transfers? I tend to think the moral case for following rules whose moral justification is weaker is itself weaker, though I get that for some people, rules are rules, all the more so if you voluntarily agree to them, and breaking them is equally immoral independent of the underlying morality of the rule.

Have you ever been an RD for a race? Do you in fact know how difficult it is to allow transfers or what that does to insurance? I sure don't, and I'd be willing to bet you don't either.

Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Who cares. This happens all the time. Especially for big races where there are lottery entries and people realize they can't race. (Mainly running races) No one is being dis serviced. Just leave it alone. There is nothing morally or ethically wrong about this.

I bet you're the same kind of asshole who can't be bothered to put your shopping cart back at the grocery store and just leaves it in the parking lot because you're "special."

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:

I bet you're the same kind of asshole who can't be bothered to put your shopping cart back at the grocery store and just leaves it in the parking lot because you're "special."

Please don’t put your shopping cart back inside. Anyone who’s ever worked at a supermarket knows that cart collecting is the only time during your shift when you can escape your boss, or smoke a joint in peace.
Quote Reply
Re: WWSTD? Potential illegal bib-swap [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an RD - we allow race transfers. It's not so hard to do at all, and afterall shit happens. If someone contacts us and says they can't race but a friend can we will allow them to transfer that registration if all the rest of it is in order (we give them a reg code for the new person so they can pay for their own USAT if not a member). Then the agreement for money is between the two racers and we are out of the loop. They have to notify us of the transfer and who the person is. We create that code and substitute the registration. It's really not a big deal and a huge customer satisfaction thing.

That being said, I abhor bandits and people who copy and swap bibs. God forbid that someone who does that gets hurt, or even worse, causes someone with a legitimate registration to be injured. We have people who do that at runs all the time and someone who tried it at a triathlon. However, they didn't count on the athlete wristband to get into transition so they thought they would just set up outside the fence by some bushes. The official found their bike and removed it from the bushes and lo and behold they came out of the swim and couldn't find their bike. Had the nerve to try and tell us it was stolen! We pointed it out locked up to the fence and told them they could have it when the race was over.
Quote Reply
Re: WWSTD? Potential illegal bib-swap [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pennib wrote:
As an RD - we allow race transfers. It's not so hard to do at all, and afterall shit happens. If someone contacts us and says they can't race but a friend can we will allow them to transfer that registration if all the rest of it is in order (we give them a reg code for the new person so they can pay for their own USAT if not a member). Then the agreement for money is between the two racers and we are out of the loop. They have to notify us of the transfer and who the person is. We create that code and substitute the registration. It's really not a big deal and a huge customer satisfaction thing.

That being said, I abhor bandits and people who copy and swap bibs. God forbid that someone who does that gets hurt, or even worse, causes someone with a legitimate registration to be injured. We have people who do that at runs all the time and someone who tried it at a triathlon. However, they didn't count on the athlete wristband to get into transition so they thought they would just set up outside the fence by some bushes. The official found their bike and removed it from the bushes and lo and behold they came out of the swim and couldn't find their bike. Had the nerve to try and tell us it was stolen! We pointed it out locked up to the fence and told them they could have it when the race was over.

Kudos for that very constructive customer service attitude and for weighing in with, you know, actual expertise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pennib wrote:

Is that the whole story? Did he/she really back down after this?

In my neck of the woods that person surely would not back down, at least throw a big hissy fit and maybe get police involved.
Quote Reply
Re: WWSTD? Potential illegal bib-swap [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no, there was substantial carrying on and threatening about holding his bike, etc. but he still didn’t get it back until almost the very end. We told him to call the cops and wished him luck getting someone to respond. A lot of them were doing traffic control for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: WWSTD? Potential illegal bib-swap [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I wonder if I could find them on my own?

OK, so I got the list of REGISTERED runners from the race website, brought it to Excel and filtered on the runners from PA

The Swappee's friends list on FB is not public*, so I went through the results, to see if we could match up some relationships

Turns out, only 2 Finishers from PA are FB friends with her Mom [yeah, the sort of Mom who friends her ADULT kid's ADULT friends ], and they finished about two minutes apart, so it appears they did NOT all run together as a [semi?] drunken ponytail party

Yeah, I know I'm putting a lot of effort into this, but it kinda falls into that self-challenge realm of "I wonder if I can do this?"

* Yes, I could send her a friend request, and if she approved I'd be able to see everyone and their photos, maybe some of the race, but to do that, then turn her in for Bib-swapping would probably be seen as a horrible violation of trust

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pennib wrote:
Oh no, there was substantial carrying on and threatening about holding his bike, etc. but he still didn’t get it back until almost the very end. We told him to call the cops and wished him luck getting someone to respond. A lot of them were doing traffic control for the race.

i love this story ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://hamptonrockfest.com/photos/

"Here are just a few of our favorite shots from the 2017 Hampton Half! You can see the full 1,000+ photo set on our Flickr album."

Looks like I'll be sifting through Flickr for the photo evidence

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Protocol Question

Once someone admits to Illegal Bib Swapping [at least more than once] that becomes part of her narrative, and you can call her on it any time, right?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who's planning to run Boston next spring?
My daughter made the cut so I will likely be traveling up there with her and her husband

Who's bib is she using?

Her mom should be fully rehabbed [from knee surgery]by Spring. Maybe her daughter can get a bib for her, too?

I don't think that's too much, do you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if the race was Kona Ironman? I do know some people who have done Kona under a false bib/name.
Quote Reply
Re: WWSTD? Potential illegal bib-swap [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm asking

If you KNOW someone who did a race under another person's name, and it was an ILLEGAL bib-swap [and all the timing chips, thereof], do you call that person on it?

Suppose, "Rebecca" bought a bib from "Melissa" [note the Double Letter Cheater Protocol, here], and openly stated " I got in because ..." would you ... oh, I dunno .... start calling her "Melissa?" Just for fun?

Quote Reply

Prev Next