oldandslow wrote:
Deer. Lots and lots of deer.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about all that but the local radio station analyzed some of the bursts and came up with about 100 rounds per cycle. I would think the barrels would get really hot in short order and he would have to switch guns. I think there could have been several thousand rounds must have weighed hundreds of pounds. It is astounding he got that and all those rifles and they said he had shooting platforms too.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
I'm not an expert on those kinds of things, but yes, I think so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6tORrODJE

ah. well. after having watched that video, and speaking only as a novice observer, i don't think i could distinguish between this and a fully automatic weapon, as regards function.

As a shooter, you could tell a slight difference. But, I can tell you, it is pretty damn close to full-auto.

Not directed at you......Why the fuck is that legal? For all intents and purposes it turns a semi-auto into a full auto. I don't understand why things like that and crank triggers are legal; you may not be able to achieve the same cyclic rate as a real full auto gun, but it sure looked and sounded like you could get lots of rounds down range in a big fat hurry. I have a hard time understanding how anyone could defend the need for the bump stock or a crank trigger.

Why do I "need" it? Fuck you, that why! Of course, I am kidding.

Why? Because it is fun. That's it. Honest answer. It serves no real practical purpose. It is inaccurate, hard to control, and expensive as hell (i.e., it burns through ammo like crazy). Again, I'll be honest - it is really fun blowing through 30 rounds with a bump stock. But, that's about it. After one mag, you start seeing dollar signs as you eat through ammo.

Why is it legal? Again, honest answer - legal loophole. "Semi-auto," by law, means one round fires with each pull of the trigger. In this case, it is the rapid pull of the trigger that fires the rounds so quickly. SHOULD it be legal? Well, that's a good question.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do the same thing with you finger on the trigger and your thumb in your belt loop. Probably works less well, but it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I have a question for the experienced shooters here, how many rounds do you think he shot? I heard somewhere on the news talking about how he had so many magazines like 10 or more of 30 rounds each. But wouldn't it have to be like a 100 of those to inflict this kind of damage? I mean he hit around 600 people, so assuming one bullet one victim, how many misses are there typically for every hit in this kind of shooting? lots of people there interviewed were saying they saw bullets hitting the ground and stage, so certainly some misses..

I would think at least 5 misses for every hit, but maybe because of the density of people less? Could it have been 2k to 3k rounds shot off in 10 minutes with the weapon he had? What would a 100 magazines look like, how heavy, how big a bag??

Nope. A few things you need to consider.

1. A single round can go through more than one person. If it doesn't strike bone, one round could go through 2 or more people.
2. Firing down and some blacktop areas, rounds ricocheted. Some hit people after hitting the ground.
3. Nowhere near 600 people were shot. It appears everyone who was killed was shot. But, the vast majority of those injured were not hit by a round. The vast majority suffered injuries from be trampled and other injuries from trying to get over barriers, etc.
4. People were shoulder-to-shoulder. Until they scattered, almost certainly, each shot hit at least one person, if not more. Thus, two 30-round magazines could have easily hit and killed 58 people.

I don't know how many mags he had, but 30 would be heavy, but easy to put in a bag and bring into a hotel.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can really only see two uses for something like that: It's fun to play with at the range, and something like the Las Vegas shooting.

On the one hand, it's awfully hard to justify a gadget that makes range time a little more entertaining when the trade off is giving a nut the capability to do this.

On the other hand, full auto weapons (or approximations thereof haven't been used in many shootings. And people can and have carried out attacks that are just as deadly without firearms at all.

It's a loophole, and I expect it'll be closed. Personally, I won't have much of a problem with that, because there's no real use for it anyway.

The bigger issue, to me, is how we're ultimately going to cope with mass killings, as distinct from mass shootings. We have technology, and we frequently gather in extremely large, extremely vulnerable groups. I don't see an easy solution that fits our society.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

ah. well. after having watched that video, and speaking only as a novice observer, i don't think i could distinguish between this and a fully automatic weapon, as regards function.

As a shooter, you could tell a slight difference. But, I can tell you, it is pretty damn close to full-auto.

How well does it actually work? I've seen once at the state range. Range officer wanted to see how it worked and not many were there. Usually not allowed.

It seem like the guy had trouble getting it to fire consistently and finish a whole magazine. It was probably new to him. But in your experience was it easy to use a bump stock?

Before the great flood of '09, I had two - one for a 9mm carbine and one for an AR. On the 9mm carbine, it is flawless. It might as well be full auto. Fairly easy to control. Consistent. Smooth. Easy.

On an AR chambered in 5.56, to me, it is more difficult than an M16 on full auto (which is difficult). When you shoulder an AR, you push it back into your shoulder to get a good placement. It is locked back into your shoulder. When you use a bump-fire stock, you have to push the AR forward to engage it. So, it is an awkward movement. You are simultaneously pushing forward and back. This causes the AR to be unstable, even more so than a full auto M16. Now, if you mount it on a bipod, it definitely will be more stable.

Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been three (3) instances of crimes committed with legally obtained fully automatic rifles since 1934.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CW in NH wrote:
You can do the same thing with you finger on the trigger and your thumb in your belt loop. Probably works less well, but it works.

Yep. This guy made his own bump fire device for a Glock:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, this is a bump fire vs the guy who is the fastest shooter in the world. The older guy has a "standard" semi-auto AR. The younger guy has a bump fire AR.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I can really only see two uses for something like that: It's fun to play with at the range, and something like the Las Vegas shooting.

On the one hand, it's awfully hard to justify a gadget that makes range time a little more entertaining when the trade off is giving a nut the capability to do this.

On the other hand, full auto weapons (or approximations thereof haven't been used in many shootings. And people can and have carried out attacks that are just as deadly without firearms at all.

It's a loophole, and I expect it'll be closed. Personally, I won't have much of a problem with that, because there's no real use for it anyway.

The bigger issue, to me, is how we're ultimately going to cope with mass killings, as distinct from mass shootings. We have technology, and we frequently gather in extremely large, extremely vulnerable groups. I don't see an easy solution that fits our society.

welcome to life in europe. i think we've done a pretty good job, as a society, of absorbing and mainstreaming immigrant populations (versus europe), and i'm guardedly optimistic this helps inoculate us against what europe experiences. we also, for our racial problems, don't have too many dylann roofs. but home-grown malcontents? like this guy? and tim mcvey? no good way to see this coming.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
FWIW, this is a bump fire vs the guy who is the fastest shooter in the world. The older guy has a "standard" semi-auto AR. The younger guy has a bump fire AR.

the old guy has quite a finger. he must be a popular guy in the hay. i don't think i'd want to be near the receiving end of either shooter.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to google what a bump stock is. Landed on this page:

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/11/ar-15-bump-fire-legal/

First sentence: "For some gun enthusiasts, it’s a vision of American paradise."

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly.

These kinds of killings are less and less a gun issue, imo. Every time someone drives a truck through a crowd of people or sets off a homemade bomb at a concert, the less significance the gun has, and the more likely it is some copycat will choose an alternative means to carry out mass violence.

I don't know how Vegas (or anywhere else) will or should respond to something like this. Someone mentioned metal detectors at hotels, which is simply not possible. Even if it was, and even if they were effective, what does that kind of security mean for a destination like Las Vegas? How many people are going to travel to Sin City to endure the kind of security we have to deal with from the TSA city wide? At the same time, at what point does it become too much of a risk to attend major public events?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I have a question for the experienced shooters here, how many rounds do you think he shot? I heard somewhere on the news talking about how he had so many magazines like 10 or more of 30 rounds each. But wouldn't it have to be like a 100 of those to inflict this kind of damage? I mean he hit around 600 people, so assuming one bullet one victim, how many misses are there typically for every hit in this kind of shooting? lots of people there interviewed were saying they saw bullets hitting the ground and stage, so certainly some misses..

I would think at least 5 misses for every hit, but maybe because of the density of people less? Could it have been 2k to 3k rounds shot off in 10 minutes with the weapon he had? What would a 100 magazines look like, how heavy, how big a bag??

You're assuming they are all gunshot wounds and not injuries from being trampled etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're assuming they are all gunshot wounds and not injuries from being trampled etc. //

Well certainly some of them are, I really don't know how many. Do you? Have they made any announcements as to the types of injuries? Of course a bunch have to be trampling, maybe heart attacks, but a lot would be bullet wounds too. Anyway I was just wondering how many rounds he actually shot, guess we will know that answer pretty definitely in the next week or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Exactly.

These kinds of killings are less and less a gun issue, imo. Every time someone drives a truck through a crowd of people or sets off a homemade bomb at a concert, the less significance the gun has, and the more likely it is some copycat will choose an alternative means to carry out mass violence.

I don't know how Vegas (or anywhere else) will or should respond to something like this. Someone mentioned metal detectors at hotels, which is simply not possible. Even if it was, and even if they were effective, what does that kind of security mean for a destination like Las Vegas? How many people are going to travel to Sin City to endure the kind of security we have to deal with from the TSA city wide? At the same time, at what point does it become too much of a risk to attend major public events?

It's a bit like shark attacks.

In the water, it's the water itself that's probably going to kill you. Shark attacks are rarer than winning the lottery, but makes international news every time.

Bombs and gunmen kill people in first world countries, but drunk/distracted driving is far more likely to kill you.

Self driving cars can't come soon enough. If we really want to save lives that is.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

How well does it actually work? I've seen once at the state range. Range officer wanted to see how it worked and not many were there. Usually not allowed.

It seem like the guy had trouble getting it to fire consistently and finish a whole magazine. It was probably new to him. But in your experience was it easy to use a bump stock?

Bump fire "works" in that it puts a lot of rounds down range rather quickly but the weapon moves around A LOT and there's no good way to stabilize it because in order to function the weapon needs to move. Again, to my ear, the cyclic rate is too low for bump fire or a conventional full auto weapon. It sounds like a crank trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

l.a. times says "19 weapons" including 1 legal full auto.

Not quite: At least one of them had been modified with a legal “bump stock” style device that allows the shooter to rapidly fire off rounds without actually converting it to a fully automatic weapon, the source said. The devices modify the gun’s stock so that the recoil helps accelerate how quickly the shooter can pull the trigger. The devices are legal in the U.S.

thanks for the clarification. do you think this alone could have accounted for the performance of the weapon caught on audio?

I'm more inclined to say it's a crank trigger. The cyclic rate to my ear is too low.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

Self driving cars can't come soon enough. If we really want to save lives that is.

Sure! What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:

the old guy has quite a finger. he must be a popular guy in the hay. i don't think i'd want to be near the receiving end of either shooter.

Just wondering if you could comment on how a full auto ban may have prevented this...given that we know next-to-nothing about the weapons used and that what happened in France where MANY more people were killed and both semi-autos and full-autos have been banned for longer than the Brownlee brothers have been alive?

Emotions are high right now. Data, however, is irrefutable.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:

Just wondering if you could comment on how a full auto ban may have prevented this...given that we know next-to-nothing about the weapons used and that what happened in France where MANY more people were killed and both semi-autos and full-autos have been banned for longer than the Brownlee brothers have been alive?

data is irrefutable, you're right. if there is data, and i don't think you've provided any. many more people were killed on 9/11 and no guns were used at all, but i don't think that constitutes data.

i have no expertise in this, so when you're asking me to comment on the lethality of this, i'm not the voice of authority. just, can i answer your question with a question? this guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and experienced in firearms. he appears to have owned about 30 long guns. if you're saying this guy is just as deadly with a semi-auto as an auto, he appears to have had 29 other long guns in his arsenal. why didn't he use one of those? why did he choose the one weapon that had a bump stock? what is it you know that he doesn't know about the actual versus theoretical lethality of his attack?

this is my one and only post to you on this, because i don't want to get into the typical LR circle jerk with you; i don't know enough to speak with any authority; and i'm ambivalent about the legal issues surrounding gun ownership. i will leave that to you, because it's your responsibility now. your side won. so you guys get to set the rules now. you decide what should be legal. but because you are a stickler for data, 89 people were killed at the bataclan in shooting episode lasting, to my recollection, about 45min, with 3 gunmen doing the shooting. las vegas lasted 10 to 15 minutes, 59 dead (so far), 1 gunman. my guess is that the victims, and the intended victims who escaped, and the injured, would have been happier with a lower rate of fire. but i don't know. you'd have to ask them.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
stal wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:

data is irrefutable, you're right. if there is data, and i don't think you've provided any. many more people were killed on 9/11 and no guns were used at all, but i don't think that constitutes data.

i have no expertise in this, so when you're asking me to comment on the lethality of this, i'm not the voice of authority. just, can i answer your question with a question? this guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and experienced in firearms. he appears to have owned about 30 long guns. if you're saying this guy is just as deadly with a semi-auto as an auto, he appears to have had 29 other long guns in his arsenal. why didn't he use one of those? why did he choose the one weapon that had a bump stock? what is it you know that he doesn't know about the actual versus theoretical lethality of his attack?

this is my one and only post to you on this, because i don't want to get into the typical LR circle jerk with you; i don't know enough to speak with any authority; and i'm ambivalent about the legal issues surrounding gun ownership. i will leave that to you, because it's your responsibility now. your side won. so you guys get to set the rules now. you decide what should be legal. but because you are a stickler for data, 89 people were killed at the bataclan in shooting episode lasting, to my recollection, about 45min, with 3 gunmen doing the shooting. las vegas lasted 10 to 15 minutes, 59 dead (so far), 1 gunman. my guess is that the victims, and the intended victims who escaped, and the injured, would have been happier with a lower rate of fire. but i don't know. you'd have to ask them.

Answering a question with a question is always the sign of a weak argument...but I'll answer yours even though you did not mine.

Dan Empfield Question: "Why didn't he use one of those? [semi auto rifle]"
Random internet dude answer: We don't know. We don't know $hit yet. Preliminary indications from LEOS show that he probably used an illegally modified semi-auto (yes using a bumpfire stock to murder folks makes it an illegally modified semi-auto) rifle. Espousing an argument for gun-control or a ban on title 2 weapons doesn't make any sense yet. Policy should be based on data not emotions. If it turns out that this evil fucker used a legal full-auto weapon then we should DEFINITELY explore further restrictions. Preliminary indications show that...just like the bataclan (France)...criminals don't give a shit about gun laws and will do whatever they want whenever they want. Historical data suggests that stricter gun laws don't do shit and only infringe on the rights of legal firearm owners. Do you need more examples...perhaps a local one (San Bernadino?).

Question for you (if I'm allowed another one): If the weapon wasn't a legally owned full-auto...should we relax the full-auto weapons laws because they're clearly working and too strict? Less folks have been killed in the US from title 2 weapons than in France over the past [Brownlee era] years. If data drives our policies...you should agree.

So there's my one and only permissible response to your question.

Who cares though. Why waste a good crisis?

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but because you are a stickler for data, 89 people were killed at the bataclan in shooting episode lasting, to my recollection, about 45min, with 3 gunmen doing the shooting. las vegas lasted 10 to 15 minutes, 59 dead (so far), 1 gunman. my guess is that the victims, and the intended victims who escaped, and the injured, would have been happier with a lower rate of fire.

If I recall correctly, the Paris shooters were armed with full auto AK47s. (And bombs.) The rate of fire of the weapons was not the difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
but because you are a stickler for data, 89 people were killed at the bataclan in shooting episode lasting, to my recollection, about 45min, with 3 gunmen doing the shooting. las vegas lasted 10 to 15 minutes, 59 dead (so far), 1 gunman. my guess is that the victims, and the intended victims who escaped, and the injured, would have been happier with a lower rate of fire.

If I recall correctly, the Paris shooters were armed with full auto AK47s. (And bombs.) The rate of fire of the weapons was not the difference.

whoa there....don't let data get in the way here. Clearly....guns are the problem. Let's not let the fact that France has stricter gun laws than ANY state in the union get in the way of a good gun-control argument.

If France had stricter gun control laws then CLEARLY nobody would have died. CLEARLY.

My training
Quote Reply

Prev Next