Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
There is no form of protest acceptable to those who are comfortable the way things are.

This x1000

"I don't grasp the problem, so it must not be real. Therefore, anyone protesting must be wrong/stupid/whining/etc. It's the only answer that makes sense."

What are they protesting and metric is being used to determine the success of the protest?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I tried to use twitter. Specifically to follow Trump. (I sometimes didn't believe reports about his tweets were true. They invariably are.)

It's an unusable platform.

Its good for niche stuff but that's about it. I used to use it a lot but now its mostly for very specific things, mostly for work. There's a ton of repetition on there and a ton of idiocy.

I remember when it was good for cycling and sports personalities but now most of the personalities have dried up or use it for merchandising spam, like Sherman.
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Also, i have no idea what it is these guys are protesting.

Can anyone explain it?

Flags. They are protesting flags. Similar to how Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation.
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Can anyone explain it?

Flags. They are protesting flags. Similar to how Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation.

You didnā€™t just compare NFL players in 2017 to Rosa Parks, did you?

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
North wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Can anyone explain it?

You didnā€™t just compare NFL players in 2017 to Rosa Parks, did you?
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Lemmie frame this in the form of a SAT question:

NFL Players are to Rosa Parks

Donald Trump is to Presidential

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my mind ā€œpresidentialā€ is an act.

Itā€™s fake.

Say what you will about Trump, but his lack of presidentiality is refreshing.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. Who the f--k cares if they kneel or not. I know people lost their lives defending the flag, but they were also defending the rights of people to not stand. It's not a pick and choose situation. The right cries when they're not allowed to speak at college campuses but then say a silent protest shouldn't happen. I guess it's the usual, everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too.

FTR- I've always hated Trump. Hated him when he was a Democrat, hate him now as a Republican. Growing up in and around NYC he's always been a self-centered POS who has no interest in anyone except himself and possibly his family (possibly). He could care less about this country unless it hurts him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Itā€™s fake.

Agreed. It's awesome that we're finally making real progress toward getting the President Camacho we all want and need.
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [mdeth1313] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Who the f--k cares if they kneel or not.

I do and I donā€™t. If I were to watch a football game Iā€™d rather not have a bunch political causes being thrown in the mix.

Television and movies have been infected with politics, I dumped Facebook, stopped listening to terrestrial radio (for the most part), and now I canā€™t even turn on the fucking NFL without some ignorant dip shit protesting something they donā€™t even have the slightest clue about.

But sure, if you want to kneel during a song go right ahead. Suck a dick during the anthem, I donā€™t care. Just donā€™t ask me to watch and donā€™t call me a racist if I see your cause for what it is - bullshit.

Quote:
The right cries when they're not allowed to speak at college campuses but then say a silent protest shouldn't happen.

I agree that this is hypocritical, but is there really anyone on ā€œthe rightā€ who wants to shut down this protest (I know Trump suggested firings). You are aware that antifa and other leftist have committed numerous acts of violence for express purpose of shutting down the free exchange of ideas? Where is the violence on the right rioting in football stadium parking lots?

Quote:
FTR- I've always hated Trump. Hated him when he was a Democrat, hate him now as a Republican.

Thanks for clearing that up. Iā€™ve never actually met the man so I donā€™t have quite as strong as an opinion on him that you do. Were you guys neighbors or something. What did he do to you?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Itā€™s fake.

Agreed. It's awesome that we're finally making real progress toward getting the President Camacho we all want and need.

People have suggested that ā€œThe Rockā€ should run....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Itā€™s fake.

It'll be refreshing to bring class and respectibility back to the office

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Duffy wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Itā€™s fake.

And steroids.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Tattooed millionaires and a vainglorious Chief Executive. Not a good combination. If those NFLers think they'll get the Orange-Haired Wonder to back off his rant they obviously haven't been following him the last couple years. It's nuts.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Duffy wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Itā€™s fake.

You're thinking of Kid Rock - Duffy was talking about Dwayne Johnson.
Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Duffy wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Itā€™s fake.

Either way, it can only be an improvement

Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried Twitter.. It usualy just ends up being a huge add fest of thing retweeted and annoyed me. Kind of like on FB but cant figure out why I am not annoyed by that on FB...

I tried Twitter once and gave up, it sucks. The reason FB doesn't bother me is because I can see golden retriever puppy videos. No one can't get tired of that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Duffy wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Itā€™s fake.

Either way, it can only be an improvement

St. Peter In Prison
Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn

If you're going to take a knee, have a good reason.

Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [mdeth1313] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdeth1313 wrote:
I don't get it. Who the f--k cares if they kneel or not.

Dude, the original intent is to insult Americans by disrespecting their flag. Colin Kaepernick was very explicit about his motivations and his feelings. You get brownie points for disregarding insults not by having them go over your head.
Last edited by: SH: Sep 26, 17 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
There is no form of protest acceptable to those who are comfortable the way things are.

This x1000

"I don't grasp the problem, so it must not be real. Therefore, anyone protesting must be wrong/stupid/whining/etc. It's the only answer that makes sense."

What are they protesting and metric is being used to determine the success of the protest?

I'm not going to speak for them, but I can tell you what I believe is going on.

What are they protesting? - systemic racial inequality

What metric is being used to determine the success of the protest? - When your head hits the pillow, did you stand up (or kneel) for what you believe is right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:

This x1000

The Stoning Of St. Stephen
Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn

"Saint Stephen was one of the first ordained deacons of the Church. He was also the first Christian martyr. The Greek word from which we derive the English word martyr literally means witness. In that sense, every Christian is called to bear witness to Jesus Christ, in both their words and their actions. Not all are asked to shed their blood.

Those who do shed their blood for the faith are the greatest of witnesses. They have been especially honored since the very beginning of Christianity. Stephen was so conformed to Jesus in his holy life that his martyrdom was both a natural and supernatural sign of his love for the Lord. It also inspired the early believers as they faced the first round of brutal persecution."

This is how sacrifice for one's beliefs has commonly been evidenced throughout much of history, including down in Birmingham, Alabama during the civil rights protests of the 1960s. Those folks were putting their lives on the line, and some of them in fact paid with their lives.

Collecting a fat paycheck that makes you a One-Percenter and a tattooed millionaire and playing the game you love while being worshiped by legions of fans is not sacrifice. It's more like self-serving arrogance and hypocrisy and more of a fad -- similar to that silly ice bucket challenge a couple years ago -- than anything else.

Quote Reply
Re: I propose a really effective protest idea for those poor downtrodden NFL players.... [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
systemic racial inequality

In other words, made up bullshit.

Canā€™t give any specific examples so just say itā€™s ā€œsystemicā€.

This is under the same system that put a black man in the whitehouse for 2 terms.

This is under the same system that is the most free and diverse on the planet.

Quote:
What metric is being used to determine the success of the protest? - When your head hits the pillow, did you stand up (or kneel) for what you believe is right?

Wow, what a bunch of crap.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Duffy wrote:
Just donā€™t ask me to watch and donā€™t call me a racist if I see your cause for what it is - bullshit.

Look at what you wrote. "I have no idea what it is these guys are protesting. But... I know for sure it's bullshit."

This has been your argument for countless discussions. "I don't understand it, therefore my opinion of it must be superior."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Duffy wrote:
Just donā€™t ask me to watch and donā€™t call me a racist if I see your cause for what it is - bullshit.

Look at what you wrote. "I have no idea what it is these guys are protesting. But... I know for sure it's bullshit."

This has been your argument for countless discussions. "I don't understand it, therefore my opinion of it must be superior."

Iā€™m responding to what you said they were protesting (systemic racism) and I was calling that bullshit.

And I was responding to your pillow comment as a load of crap.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Duffy wrote:

Iā€™m responding to what you said they were protesting (systemic racism) and I was calling that bullshit.

And I was responding to your pillow comment as a load of crap.

No, both of your quotes were pulled from the conversation yesterday. I wrote that response this morning. You were not responding to my post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
systemic racial inequality

In other words, made up bullshit.

Canā€™t give any specific examples so just say itā€™s ā€œsystemicā€.

This is under the same system that put a black man in the whitehouse for 2 terms.

This is under the same system that is the most free and diverse on the planet.

Quote:

Wow, what a bunch of crap.

"Systemic racial inequality" is pretty much a non-falsifiable claim these days, in my opinion. Easy to say, hard to disprove, because some of it is tied up in "feelings." Plus, it absolves entire minority communities of any responsibility for group circumstances in which they may find themselves. Using the phrase, in other words, can be both a Get Out of Jail Free card as well as an "It's not my fault" immunization.

In many ways, it's like that term "microaggressions." That concept leads me to deliver an expression on my face that amounts to "WTF?" ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next