Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I know I know. I just am not a fan of etap. I don't like the look, the price, or lack of functionality compared to shimano. And I don't really view SRAM products as any more American than shimano. They all come from Asia in the end.

I don't have any Di2 stuff but I am curious what functionality they bring beyond shifting? My ETap and EPS stuff seem to do that just fine, but I keep hearing this line about Di2 repeated.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
And I don't really view SRAM products as any more American than shimano. They all come from Asia in the end.

i'm not going to criticize the stand you're taking here, but i'm interested in your statement above. you don't think that the engineering of a product, its industrial design, testing, etc., the 3D model, the CAD file used to cut the mold, is part of the "manufacture" of a product?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's between I-9 and Chris King go with Chris Kings.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm basically referring to Syncro shift and the buttons on top of the hoods that can be programmed to control your computer, lights, shift, etc. not massive things but kinda nice. And I like that Ultegra di2 is much cheaper than etap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The title of your thread does say Going for "made in the USA"
Most of us do not equate Shimano with USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I know. I'm gonna make an exception for the groupset that I want. Trying to keep as much of the build as possible USA made but not willing to go SRAM. Just not a fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might take a look at SRAM Red mechanical if you haven't. At least a year or so ago it was the lightest grouppo and I've happily used it for about two years.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto for Hed Jet 6 plus. I have them on my Seven and the combination is just perfect. I aimed for lots of USA, but did not stress getting to 100%

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Yea I know. I'm gonna make an exception for the groupset that I want. Trying to keep as much of the build as possible USA made but not willing to go SRAM. Just not a fan.
But groups is such a critical part of the bike that if you are making an exception you just killed the goal of your project.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic, but are you getting an Alfa or an All Road? I'm a couple months or so out from ordering, and I'm thinking about getting an All Road. I'm very interested in following how your build progresses, as well as what you're opinions are about the bike(and frame) once you get it built up.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But SRAM isn't made in USA anyway. So in my mind I'd be putting a group set that I don't like on there when it's not even made here anyway. im going for as much USA made stuff as I can but I'm not gonna put parts on there that I don't want just cuz.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [Technobuyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting the Alfa. I seriously considered the All Road but the frameset was $800 more and I literally have no use for disc brakes at this juncture. So I went with the Alfa.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
But groups is such a critical part of the bike that if you are making an exception you just killed the goal of your project.

Totally agreed. Now it's just a plain vanilla road bike build. Might as well remove "made in USA" from the title of the thread because it no longer makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from Shimano Dura-Ace to SRAM Red and couldn't be happier. At least the concept was conceived and born in the USA. I would say your goal is now muddied. It's like using a steel frame in a weight weenie build or box-section rims and round frame in an aero build just cuz.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea but at the end of the day I have to like the build. I think getting as much made in UsA is still a cool project.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Benv wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

Totally agreed. Now it's just a plain vanilla road bike build. Might as well remove "made in USA" from the title of the thread because it no longer makes sense.

Ok so what groupset are you going to find that is made in the USA?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always found these pedals to be cool.

They are 30grams a pair and I read somewhere that they are made in USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Aerolite and M2Racer pedals. Made in USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. I'm asking for recommendations on made in USA products. The only thing I'm intentionally buying that's made overseas is the groupset cuz I don't have a choice. This thread is turning classic slow twitch. Becoming less helpful the more replies there are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightning cranks and eebrakes would both make the bike lighter and stick to the goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have a choice: fixed gear! this has an added bonus in that you can increase your use of name parts with a phil track cog. add some chris king, paul, (kirk) pacenti, and (lh) thomson and you will be a rolling who's who of american part makers! who cares if your legs get ripped off on descents, it will be soooooo cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Going for a "made in USA" road bike build: who makes their stuff in the USA? Wheels, bars, stems, etc. [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't show up to a group ride without electronic shifting....;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have your bike yet? I’m in the market and looking for info on Allied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All project one treks are made in the US if you were looking for a frame. Not too sure about the components on it though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next